Ball python heating question!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  16:40:21  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ok so I have read the care sheet and other info But it has still left me confused.

They need a warmer cool end than a cornsnake and then the warm end, So how do you heat yours? What setup is it? To me it sounds like a heatmat for the cool end and a bulb for the warm end? Or am I wrong on that?

Also it says about humidity, but no where does it say how to maintain it, apart from misting the viv? But some people are saying put the water bowel at the warm end.

Im thinking of getting one in the summer, but untill I fully understand the heating and humidity I wont get one!

Can anyone help me out here???

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  16:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heat mine with a ceramic on a pulse stat. You wont need to wory about cool end temps being too low if you do this.

Ignore the concept of humidy. Normal humidity will be fine for them, just give it a hide with damp moss in when it goes blue.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  17:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you are getting a hatchling then you can keep them on heatmats for the first year or so..mine are both on heatmats even though they are both 2 later this year simply because of their small size - mine are dinky lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  23:10:29  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh cool! So heatmat for the first year or two then switch to ceramic bulb? Thanks guys! So I dont need to worry to much about the cool end temp to much as I was!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  12:31:37  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
with a ceramic you'll find the cool end stays warmer than when using a mat anyway, but not warm enough to be a problem providing a temp gradient

when they're older they absorb the heat better when its provided from above so an IR, ceramic, reptile radiator or AHS is ideal (particularly the last two in a larger enclosure for an adult)

with the royal i had i just had normal room humidity, it's not really an issue as others have already said. i used to monitor it but only with a rubbish dial hygrometer and in the end didn't even bother with that!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  14:24:32  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can I just ask what AHS is??

Thanks for the replys guys, Its helping me out no end! Not so confusing anymore!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  21:02:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AHS is Microclimate's Advanced Heating System.....

http://www.microclimate.co.uk/AHS.htm

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  23:52:26  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh ok thanks! Bit pricey though!! Ill have to have a think about it!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  12:12:01  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they do initially seem expensive BUT you've got to remember it has an integral pulse stat which could be equivalent to £35-£55 depending on the shop.....

i got my AHS secondhand, they're sometimes listed on the dark side classifieds and the dreaded fleabay!

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  16:22:56  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a good point! Im not planning on getting one till summer so Ill have a look around and see if I can find a second hand one. If all else fails ill get a king!!
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  16:26:41  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there is one on fleabay at the mo

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  22:58:46  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not got the money at the mo :( Being just afer xmas, I have not long been back at work, and to top it off my heatmat that the girls are on has decided to start packing up on me!! So new mat or two first!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000