New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  22:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right i just got my self a leopard gecko and i need a basic setup asap
what do i need for a basic setup??? this will last no longer then 2 weeks and then it would go in a proper viv

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  11:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't mean to nagg but y did you get a leo and not hav a setup ready for it.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  11:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cos i was cheap and when i saw it i fell in love with her :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  11:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will be geting the gecko 2 moz i have been doing research on them when ppl say i need a calcium bowl can i just buy the
Nutrobal 100g do i top that bowl up every time it goes empty ???

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  12:31:06  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
cant help know nothing about them, just dont tell them on the dark side you have brought one and dont have a set up yet, you will get gunned down and sent running with ya tail between ya legs

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  12:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

cant help know nothing about them, just dont tell them on the dark side you have brought one and dont have a set up yet, you will get gunned down and sent running with ya tail between ya legs

lol u joker i got the setup today and geting the gecko 2moz off course i aint gonna get the gecko and just leave it running wild in the house hehe

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  13:28:22  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
maybe you should of rephrased ya first post when it was mentioned lol

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  15:17:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

quote:

lol u joker i got the setup today and geting the gecko 2moz off course i aint gonna get the gecko and just leave it running wild in the house hehe

quote:
maybe you should of rephrased ya first post when it was mentioned lol

i agree.. and tbh the rep shop shouldnt have sold it you with you not having everything ready for it.. how are you going to have time to check the temps are right and everything?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  19:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i got me heat mat me tub me habistat ect ect

i was only asking for a basic setup for the leo till i get it a viv

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  20:12:17  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A Faunarium or RUB (depending on size of the gecko) will do fine untill you get your viv.
Just set it up like you would the viv.
I think thats what your asking? Sorry if not.

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  20:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlueTongueDan

A Faunarium or RUB (depending on size of the gecko) will do fine untill you get your viv.
Just set it up like you would the viv.
I think thats what your asking? Sorry if not.

yea thats it i have put 2 hides in it one on cold side one on hot side put the moss box in wich is on cold side

now i just need to sort out the water dish calcium dish and food dish

then that would be the correct setup ????
could you please name me a product for the pure calcium that i put in the little dish?? i know that i need to get the nutrobal to give to them twice a week with there food wich im geting from livefoodsdirect

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  15:46:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need calcium carbonate mate. Nutrobol should be used every day for babies, every few days for juves and a couple of times a week for adults.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2009 :  13:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

You need calcium carbonate mate. Nutrobol should be used every day for babies, every few days for juves and a couple of times a week for adults.

got all that now they can overdose on d3 tho i got pure calcium for its dish and every time she feeds i gut load them with it and only feed her twice a week with nutrobol :)

i will try get some pics up soon off her setup

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2009 :  23:40:13  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Ivan, there are a few opinions about the vit D3, I have seen various sources with differing amounts, some people do 2 times, 3 times or 5 times. I also read about the overdosing, although it wont do any damage, it will make females infertile and unable to lay eggs. So I do D3 twice a week (Sat & Sun). the rest of my Elle's feeds I dust her food with pure Calcium and keep a bottle top of Calci in her viv at all times.

You may want to put the humid hide half on and half off the heat mat, Leos tend to spend more time on the warm side. If you have the humid hide ON the warm side the moss will dry out too quickly and if you have it ON the cool sode it won't be warm enough. My Elle will use her warm hide after a feed, then go into her humid the rest of the time. The only time she uses her cool hide is for pooing in, lol.

Winter Slow Down - You might already know this, but Leo's don't brumate, but they do have a winter slow down. They will stay in their hides for like 3 - 4 days at a time then come out looking for food. During the warmer months they are out an about so feeding isn'ta problem. But during the cooler months they'll come out when they are good and ready.

Hope this helps.

Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  11:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Hi Ivan, there are a few opinions about the vit D3, I have seen various sources with differing amounts, some people do 2 times, 3 times or 5 times. I also read about the overdosing, although it wont do any damage, it will make females infertile and unable to lay eggs. So I do D3 twice a week (Sat & Sun). the rest of my Elle's feeds I dust her food with pure Calcium and keep a bottle top of Calci in her viv at all times.

You may want to put the humid hide half on and half off the heat mat, Leos tend to spend more time on the warm side. If you have the humid hide ON the warm side the moss will dry out too quickly and if you have it ON the cool sode it won't be warm enough. My Elle will use her warm hide after a feed, then go into her humid the rest of the time. The only time she uses her cool hide is for pooing in, lol.

Winter Slow Down - You might already know this, but Leo's don't brumate, but they do have a winter slow down. They will stay in their hides for like 3 - 4 days at a time then come out looking for food. During the warmer months they are out an about so feeding isn'ta problem. But during the cooler months they'll come out when they are good and ready.

Hope this helps.

Mick

i did sorta know bout the cooldown is that why my leo is hiding all the time?? cos its winter? i got a dish off meal worms in there and a pure calcium dish will she be ok with that

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  20:05:22  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my Elle is currently in cool down mode. She hides in her humid hide all day. She comes out approx every 3 - 4 days for some grub. As soon as I see her out and about I wack some crickets in the fridge for about 20 mins, she eats them, if she appears to be still hungry I top up with a few mealies, I'll also tempt her with a wax worm, normally fed as treats, but seeings she is in cool down mode I want her to have a decent fat store.

My typical Leo behaviour is after a feed she will stay in her warm hide for digestion purposes, in the warmer months she stays both in the warm or humid hide. She only uses her cool hide to poop. If it's a warm month she won't bother with hides and just seek some cover somewhere, I have a mopani log in there which she likes to hide under. Then colder months she uses mainly the humid hide.

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  21:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Yeah, my Elle is currently in cool down mode. She hides in her humid hide all day. She comes out approx every 3 - 4 days for some grub. As soon as I see her out and about I wack some crickets in the fridge for about 20 mins, she eats them, if she appears to be still hungry I top up with a few mealies, I'll also tempt her with a wax worm, normally fed as treats, but seeings she is in cool down mode I want her to have a decent fat store.

My typical Leo behaviour is after a feed she will stay in her warm hide for digestion purposes, in the warmer months she stays both in the warm or humid hide. She only uses her cool hide to poop. If it's a warm month she won't bother with hides and just seek some cover somewhere, I have a mopani log in there which she likes to hide under. Then colder months she uses mainly the humid hide.

aww right thx for telling me. but since i got my leo i never seen her in the moss box i maked one just a black tub with a hole in the side and toilet paper in and i spray it moist

most off the time i spot her in the warm side hide unless shes goes in it when im sleeping ??

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  10:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can we get some pics of the setup, im just wondering wat it looks like as my younger bro wants a leo and i want to see a setup that is correct. yours should be good from all the advice u got.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

348 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  04:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where our other house is we let the geckos run around all the time no tanks or cages.. lol infact its their house we just visit it sometimes........Soz guys couldn't help it!!! It seems odd that here in the UK we keep them as pets and back in the Phils they are just part of the furniture! As indeed they are throughout many parts of the world........Good luck with the little chap

1.0.0 cash snow corn
0.0.3 koi carp
0.0.18 assorted gold fish
axolotl eggs ready to hatch
0.1.0 Chaco golden knee T
0.1.0 chilli rose pending!

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  18:35:17  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by widey

Where our other house is we let the geckos run around all the time no tanks or cages.. lol infact its their house we just visit it sometimes........Soz guys couldn't help it!!! It seems odd that here in the UK we keep them as pets and back in the Phils they are just part of the furniture! As indeed they are throughout many parts of the world........Good luck with the little chap

Would those be Tokays?
Id looove to have those running around my house

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  04:08:37  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by widey

I think it has something to do with us europeans not being used to animals be out and about like in other countries. It goes the same for enclosure setups, you go to the states and see how they do there setups, they are like..... the ultimate basic, but where as we euopeans seem to like all singing all dancing flashy setups, lol.

reptiledanny - Not sure if this was aimed at me or whether you want BTD to show his setup. But'll put mine up anyway. This what it looks like now, it's not the most basic, but still farely bland. It's a 36"Q x 18" x 18" viv.

It's gone througha couple of changes, removing the woos substrate, to paper towel as substrate to carpet tiles. I'll be moving onto sand in the next few months. 3 hides, the one on the left is the warm hide, the white one on the right is the cool hide, as she poos in EXACTLY the same spot, I just put a it of folded paper towel under the cool hide and check it daily. Her humid hide is behind that Boston Fern. But it looks like this

Pretty Blue Peterish. Made from a curry tub with a hole cut out and filed down so it's smooth. Turned up side down, filled with sphagnum moss. I'll be getting her a better one when I flash the enclosure up abit more. There's also that bit of grapvine (not mopani, as stated in my previous post) in there for her to climb on, the Boston Fern, made by Exo Terra, and the bendable jungle vines, one large and one medium, I'll be getting another large one to make the whole thing thicker. I have left her small hide in there as well, although she is too big for it she uses it as an aid to get out the viv when I let her out. You can also see the calcium in the bottle top in the bottom left hand corner. I'll also be getting some sort of background for the side and back walls. Removing the spot light and guard and putting up some blue LED's for a night light.

ivan.reho - My Elle never used her humid hide at first, but I think thats because it was a snake cave and not sure if she knew how to get in it, but ever since I made that one she is in it all the time, unlike Corn snakes I DO keep the hide in there 24/7. I have never heard of or read anywhere that this causes them RI's. And Leopard Geckos shed a lot more frequently than snakes. With baby Leo's it could be as much as weekly. And chances are you won't see it as Leo's eat their shed for extra vitamins, I think vit B (have to double check that). You might get a hint every now and again when the colours dull as you can see by Elle's skin in this post/image
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7695
I have only seen evidence of Elle shedding twice, the first time she came out and had loose shed on her back and head. The other time was this weekend just gone where her colours had faded. That's how quickly it can happen, literally over night.

Edited by - LittleMick on 16/01/2010 04:41:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000