Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 Snakes Temperament - Do we have any influence?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  12:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can the owner have any influence or control over how their corn snake will turn out and behave etc?

Lots of people mention having a shy snake or a snake that wont eat out of the faun/viv etc.

Some people have problems with them striking etc.

Since the first time i handled Stella she has been a dream, she has got a great routine, she hides in the hot end after a feed for 48 hours, then comes out and poohs, then hides for another 24 hours ish but in the cold end. Then for the next 3 days (untill i feed her) she is all over the place, really active and not at all shy.

She feeds great too, she isnt shy at all and will take a pinkie out of her RUB while shes still in my hands.

Am i just lucky? Is she this good because ive given her space when i got her and tried my best to be the 'perfect owner'. Or is it just her?

Im just wondering because im planning on getting another corn in the summer (Okeetee) and obviously would be great if this one was the same as Stella.

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  12:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do get used to you, I have most of mine eating out of my lap.
It does depend on your treatment and the amount of handling they get, if they are not handled correctly or enough they become scared as you are big and could want to eat them.
By constant handling they become tolerant of you and not as nervous.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  12:56:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think it is just down to the snake. For instance i have a ghost snake, she used to strike alot but has got to know me and has calmed down a little although she does strike at family members. She feeds well and also strike feeds everytime.

Whereas my sisters albino stripe is very timid, loves to be handled and has never striked at anyone, she is also a very lazy eater.

Its just their own personalty what makes them shy or aggressive as hatchlings, but as they get used to your scent and being handled they will calm down nd realise that you are not a threat to them.

Or atleast this is the way i have always believed it to be.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  13:09:20  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After they get used to you and are relaxed with their surroundings it is totally down to the snake and their own personality.
Lucien my amel is good as gold and loves to come out of his faun for a scoot around. Can get him out for family visits and is totally relaxed no stress.
However my blizzard - Zero is a very grumpy fellow with set ways, much like his owner . He has the most vicious strike and constrict I've seen.

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura

Edited by - lucifer on 14/01/2010 13:09:58
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  14:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it has got a certain amount to do with the keeper- if you are harsh, loud, rough or inconsiderate then it stands to reason that your snake will be snappy or shy.

I'm not saying that snakes don't have a personality, but I think their "upbringing" will have an effect on their temperament.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2010 :  14:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our Steve, is very easy going, we didn't know about the week rule of not handling so Steve was handled from day one, which i'm pleased to say hasn't affected him at all. He is always at the front of his viv wanting to get out and loves being handled and slithering across my son's bed. Now we have sorted his feeding out i can actually hold him while he grabs the pinkie too. My son handles Steve all the time apart from 48hrs after a feed but even then Steve comes out at times and looks like he would give anything to be picked up, bless him.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  03:06:20  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Elijah is a ittle S*$££ bag, when I go to pick him up he's abit skittish but once he is actually in my hand he is ok. He freezes if I open the fuan hatch and go for a water change, but I'm hoping he wil grow out of it as he grows older.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  04:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having taken on 2 adults (aged 3 to 4) I feel that an owner definitely has an influence on a snakes temperament.

When we got Kellog he came from a good home and was handled regularly . It did take a while for him to settle down with us (not helped by his 'horny' period) but now, after having had him for 9 months he is a very calm and placid snake, happy to wrap himself around my neck and slither around to explore. He still doesnt 'rest' on me at all, is usually on the move...but really is a 'happy' snake.

Silvesta, on the other hand, was not kept in good conditions and was handled only every 3 days with a glove . He is extremely skittish and feisty. Scared of the slightest quick movement and will go into the strike position. He had bitten his previous owner a number of times. But with us, after only 4 weeks, his behaviour is already beginning to change. We never handle him with a glove and he has not bitten us....yet! Depending on where he is when we get him out he will either let us pick him up without reacting (if he is in hide) or he will try and escape (if he is hiding under the substrate, which inevitably causes total chaos in his viv ). Once out he has changed from being difficult to even hold - he is long and thin and very, very strong - to feeding through our hands and beginning to explore, although still constantly on the move and still very jumpy....but it is very early days.

This proves to me that it is to do with how a snake is treated that it responds and therefore what overall personality it has. I am not saying that they dont have their own characters, because I am sure they do....but their owner's have the overall influence on how they turn out.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  12:31:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes they have their own personalities BUT good or bad experiences (particularly with handling) can change their temperament too....
for example, a snake that tries to hide when the owner reaches in to get him, if the snake is grabbed roughly and dragged backwards through the decor it's obviously going to resent being handled like that and over time might be more evasive, secretive or even become more aggressive.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  05:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I have already commented on this topic, but I wondered if anyone found that their corns (particularly older ones - corns that is, not owners ) can be particularly stubborn??

Kellog sometimes gets it into his head that there is one particular place he wants to go, usually down the back of the sofa or between the cushions, and no matter where in the room I move to he always makes his way back to that same place...talk about tunnel vision!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  07:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that has to do with the age of the snake. With the weather being cold here, I wear layered clothing. Snickers aims to go between the two shirts, either up the sleeve or down by the collar, where after she has gotten comfortable she likes to dump. After this happening twice, I stopped allowing her the privilege until after I know she's had her dump, and it seems like she is holding it for that purpose. She won't crawl around the floor on the towel or rug. She will curl up under my computer, but all of her activity seems to be focused on getting between my layers of shirts.
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I know I have already commented on this topic, but I wondered if anyone found that their corns (particularly older ones - corns that is, not owners ) can be particularly stubborn??

Kellog sometimes gets it into his head that there is one particular place he wants to go, usually down the back of the sofa or between the cushions, and no matter where in the room I move to he always makes his way back to that same place...talk about tunnel vision!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  07:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Snickers is a year old, and still won't voluntarily come to me. I have to "find" her under her substrate and while I'm trying to uncover her she repeatedly buries herself. Once She is in my hand, she doesn't try to get away, but to get a hand on her is a job.
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

My Elijah is a ittle S*$££ bag, when I go to pick him up he's abit skittish but once he is actually in my hand he is ok. He freezes if I open the fuan hatch and go for a water change, but I'm hoping he wil grow out of it as he grows older.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  10:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

Can the owner have any influence or control over how their corn snake will turn out and behave etc?

I think the keeper is the main factor in tuning the snakes behaviour. The way a snake is handled makes so much differance. Of course housing and heating come into it, but I dont think that have such a large effect.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  15:16:00  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

I don't think that has to do with the age of the snake. With the weather being cold here, I wear layered clothing. Snickers aims to go between the two shirts, either up the sleeve or down by the collar, where after she has gotten comfortable she likes to dump. After this happening twice, I stopped allowing her the privilege until after I know she's had her dump, and it seems like she is holding it for that purpose. She won't crawl around the floor on the towel or rug. She will curl up under my computer, but all of her activity seems to be focused on getting between my layers of shirts.

Yeah I know the holding it for a purpose bit, lol, my sisters dog Boo knows she is going to get a treat if she goes in the right spot, now she has learned to only pee half of what she needs to, gets a treat off say.. my sister, then when myself or my old dear are about she will get rid of the rest of it for a second treat, lmao, crafty little sod.
I think overall though, with any animals it is more to do with their living conditions, environment, interaction by the keeper. I mean if someone else was responsable for the cleaning of our house and it didn't get done I guess I would be pretty miffed. And with handling sessions, also alot of experts say that any non domesticated animal shouldn't be handled for very long, but I think it depends on the individual personaity. At the minute Elijah seems to like short sessions, but Elle absolutley loves handling sessions, then my Gerbils are ok for short periods, then they start trying to burrow through my hands, a sign that they have had enough, my fish don't like being handled at all, they don't like going for walks either.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 17/01/2010 15:18:18
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  15:41:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

yes they have their own personalities BUT good or bad experiences (particularly with handling) can change their temperament too....
for example, a snake that tries to hide when the owner reaches in to get him, if the snake is grabbed roughly and dragged backwards through the decor it's obviously going to resent being handled like that and over time might be more evasive, secretive or even become more aggressive.

Obviously this is NOT good. What is the best way to get hold of them if they dont wanna play? All the vids I've seen tend to be snakes that dont try and get away/already out the viv? I've not handled Eric much yet, and whilst he was on the kitchen towel it wasn't too bad, but I fear I will have problems now he's on aspen.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  22:17:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what i feel is VERY important is not to drag the snake backwards, either across rough substrate or decor. the scales lay flat as you run your hand down your snake from head to tail, but rubbing them roughly in the other direction is definitely unpleasant and likely to be quite uncomfortable and even damaging for the snake (particularly hatchies with relatively more fragile scales)

but just thinking one step ahead of the snake can help............

if the snake burrows to get away from human contact try swapping to newspaper for a while
or if it usually makes a dash for a different hide try removing the decor first before trying to pick the snake up

also make sure you're not dithering and unintentionally intimidating the snake, calm, confident, deliberate movements when you go to pick it up

just stuff like that really, changing the set-up can be a bit of a pain initially but when the snake is happier with being handled you can revert back to the normal set-up

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  22:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

what i feel is VERY important is not to drag the snake backwards, either across rough substrate or decor. the scales lay flat as you run your hand down your snake from head to tail, but rubbing them roughly in the other direction is definitely unpleasant and likely to be quite uncomfortable and even damaging for the snake (particularly hatchies with relatively more fragile scales)

but just thinking one step ahead of the snake can help............

if the snake burrows to get away from human contact try swapping to newspaper for a while
or if it usually makes a dash for a different hide try removing the decor first before trying to pick the snake up

also make sure you're not dithering and unintentionally intimidating the snake, calm, confident, deliberate movements when you go to pick it up

just stuff like that really, changing the set-up can be a bit of a pain initially but when the snake is happier with being handled you can revert back to the normal set-up

I've been doing the removing the decor bit 1st, then kinda scooped him up with a hand either side. But obviously due to the recent regurge he wont be playing out for quite some time.

Edited by - n/a on 17/01/2010 22:31:43
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  22:35:49  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oooh! i need to email you back hun!! lol will do it tomorrow cos it's a bit late for my brain to work tonight lol

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  23:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

oooh! i need to email you back hun!! lol will do it tomorrow cos it's a bit late for my brain to work tonight lol

Hey no probs, I added some info to the 'temps' thread on here too, coz they still seem to be odd.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000