Just Shy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We haven't seen much of our new baby Eric. We got him New Years Eve, and left him for a week, during which time we spotted him out and about a few times, but not a lot. Mind you, I tended to catch him when I had just returned home, but he would go straight back to his hide the moment he spotted anyone looking at him.

He has now taken to burrowing between a couple of layers of kitchen towel the last few days, seems to be half on/half off the heat mat, although he has a hide on the cool side of the tank too that I made from a bio degradeable plant pot and is a perfect size for him (the cave I got with the faun is pretty massive in comparison to Eric, he can curl up in one third of it).

We fed him Wednesday as I needed to change the kitchen towel on the bottom of the faun (I spilt the water), so whilst he was in the tub I'm going to use for feeding we thought we may as well feed him whilst he was there (the guy in the shop said he'd been feeding him every 4/5 days and maybe wait til Friday, tho he'd been home a week). He fed straight away, then shed and pooed Friday. He didn't actually look like he was in blue when we fed him, but I had thought he looked dull a few days before... but he didn't seem bothered by that, still ate the pinkie asap.

So the temps are fine, heatmat has a thermostat, hides both ends of faun, plus some other stuff - bark hide(added a cut down kitchen roll tube to put in the bark as I didn't think he'd feel very secure under there and he left half his shed in there), plant, water dish. I also added a tea towel over the back of the faun to cover some of the open sides.

Sooo, Eric is approx 19" (his shed was 21") and the faun is 16x10x6 but plenty of 'stuff' in there so there's no wide open spaces.

I've actually seen him out in daylight, but not at night when the lights are off and only a lamp on the other side of the room switched on (tho' I could well have not spotted him).

Is he still feeling a little insecure do you think? Should I move his smaller home made hide to the warm side? Are we just being impatient, lol.

Ohh, he seemed quite happy playing out yesterday when we took the pics I posted on here!

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:40:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snakes, especially baby ones, are naturally very shy and tend to hide as much as possible. We are much bigger then them, and are potential predators, so therefore pretty scary!

Make sure your snake has plenty of cover in his home, so he can move freely around the viv/faun without feeling exposed. Torn up newspaper or kitchen towel is a great, cheap material, if not very pretty. Fake plants look better and do the job just as well, but are more expensive.

Just give him plenty of time, as he grows in confidence he will be out more. Bear in mind though that most corns are active mainly at night, so he could be up in the wee small hours having a party whilst you are in bed!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  12:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks SexyBear...

Yep, I think he probably is just timid still, and rightly so. He has got loads of cover and overall doing everything he should as far as eating, pooing, shedding.

And yes, he may well be out partying late at night, lol.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  14:22:57  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Bear in mind though that most corns are active mainly at night, so he could be up in the wee small hours having a party whilst you are in bed!

This is certainly true to my corn Casper. I got her on the 29th December and have noticed that during the day the only real movement she does is going between her warm hide and burying herself in the cold end (havn't got a hide at the moment although i have ordered one online with the snow it might take a while.)

But then from 5 - 6 oclock in the afternoon its a completely different story, she is all over her faun climbing up the sides and being generally inquisitive.

I have also ordered a vine and a couple of plants for her faun to give her more to do when she is out and about :-).

My baby sister very often comes in to my bedroom before she goes to bed because she just loves watching the snake, im sure she will be able to hold her someday but at the minute casper is a bit snappy and strikes at pretty much anyone who attempts to touch her and i don't want to put georgia off snakes as she is only 2 at the minute and loves casper.

Although she is deffinitely getitng used to my scent and dosn't tend to strike at me when i put my hand in her faun infact she slowly but surely seems to be coming closer each time.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  15:19:46  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Danny i found my snake was burying in the cold side because when i adopted him he didnt have a hide in that end. I have put a toilet roll tube in there now and he loves curling up in it altho i tend to find him peeking out of one end to make sure he isnt missing anything. Worth a thought until your new hide comes :)

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  16:43:04  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Danny i found my snake was burying in the cold side because when i adopted him he didnt have a hide in that end. I have put a toilet roll tube in there now and he loves curling up in it altho i tend to find him peeking out of one end to make sure he isnt missing anything. Worth a thought until your new hide comes :)

Yes in the shop casper didnt have a hide in the cold end and the woman who served me says she often buries herself, since i didnt get 2 hides with my starter kit, i just made the substrate on the cold end nice and deep for her and i have ordered a snake cave online, thought it would come in handy when casper sheds. Im hoping she dosn't have any problems with her sheds but im sure it will come in handy.

I often take a sneak peek at her by lifting up the faun since she has done a couple of wees while she has been burried and you don't notice them unless you lift up the tank, but its just amazing all the little tunnels and hides she has. She actually has 1 thst pops up next to the water bowl and i see her slither out of it to go and get a drink lol.

I love my snakey, can't wait to get another one aswell

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page