Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

118 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  11:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Well as long has he didn't think it was a disease I'm sure it can't have been....

If the heatmat was overheating a thermostat would have cut it out. Hence them being an essential piece of kit.

One of the shops I checked out told me I didn't need a stat, so I didn't buy from him, despite the fact he's been selling snakes for years.

Hope things work out better this time round, how awful for you and your son.

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  15:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi bazaboy.I'm so sorry your boy has been through such a terrible time with his snakes - hopefully now you're in contact with the excellent advice this forum gives you will have a better time with your current snake.

Please can you tell us what temperature the heatmat has been running at and, as Bleckecho asked, what are you measuring the temperature with? As well as being attached to a thermostat the maintain the correct temperature by turning the mat on and off, you also really really need to use a digital thermometer with a probe so you can accurately measure the temps at all times.

The digital thermometers I have only cost £2.50 from Ebay (here's the link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230420653810) but they mean I can quickly glance at the temps every time I pass my snakes homes which ensures their safety. One day Twilight moved his thermostat probe off of his heatmat and the temp climbed up very quickly. Being able to spot the temp change meant I could rectify this immediately before he was harmed. Some guys on this forum have run experiments to see how hot a heatmat will get if not attached to a thermostat and it was incredibly high - definitely hot enough to cook a snake.

In the past when someone has had a faulty thermostat they have been told to turn off the heatmat as it is much safer for the snake to have no heat for a few days than an unregulated mat which could kill it. If you have no thermostat (and no digital thermometer too?) then I think you would be best doing this and just ensuring the snake's faun is in a room which has heating then get to a reptile shop asap to get the necessary kit.

Please correct me guys if this is wrong.
Good luck bazaboy

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  04:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'd go with a pulse stat. Find them more reliable than the other type. Get a stat asap please!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000