Moronic snake with a light fascination!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  01:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, just put my snake in his new viv and he's obsessed with the lights :/ The red spot bulb is guarded but not only is he continually poking his face up against it (Surely it's somewhat hot) but he's trying to squeeze his head through. His name his Chess, he's always had a small head and a fatter body and i'm worried if he pushes hard enough he'll get through and burn himself, but he'll also get stuck because the rest of his is DEFINITELY too fat O.o

Not only that, the UV up the back is as flush against the top back of the viv as it can be and he managed to haul himself up there and squeeze his sorry ass in enough to pop it from it's clips ./facepalm.

Anyway to deter the little blighter?

He's too nosy for his own good, i've always said this. I really don't want him injured though!

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 11/01/2010 09:07:07

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  04:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, if you want to keep the light in, you need a guard that he cannot squeeze through, smaller gaps.

However, I'd take BOTH lights out. Absolutely no need for the UV, and for heating use a heatmat connected to a thermostat, with a thermometer to verify temp at substrate level or below.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  05:48:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ty for the fast response.

The room the vivarium is housed in, unluckily, is one of the coldest rooms in the house - my bedroom - and a heat mat doesn't keep the viv temp. warm enough at all (I'd much prefer it to be in a warmer room, but not being my house there's no room for it elsewhere and the reasons for it not being my house, are personal). I'll get out to the shop ASAP to try and source a guard with smaller holes :/
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  07:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you seen this thread which is running at the moment

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7698

It might help

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  09:11:21  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Out of curiosity, what is the viv made out of? Is it a standard wooden one?

Do you have the heat-lamp on a stat?
If so then have you considered going to a ceramic heat emitter, they are a bit smaller than most heat lamps so you'll be able to use a slightly smaller guard which will obviously have smaller holes.
Although ceramic heat emitters HAVE to be on a stat.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  10:45:10  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The guards that Dave (ReptilesInk) supplies have very small holes.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  18:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to check your link out now, Sammysnake, ty :)

Kehhlyr - Standard wooden 4ft monstrosity (which actually looks rather nice really). The lamp is indeed on a thermostat, wouldn't operate one without after having read many horror stories.

I'll take a look into this heat emitter you speak of, thank you for all the advice guys :) Whichever is decided upon, it shall be bought tomorrow asap :)
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  18:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you want any more info on the ceramic, then just ask.
Although I don't run one myself, I know there are experienced keepers on here that will be able to give you a complete pros/cons rundown on the difference with the ceramic compared to the heat-lamp.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000