Casper
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  20:22:46  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Over the 7 days of no touching casper has been getting used to my smell from me changing her water and spoiled substrate. When i first got her she used to strike at me but i have handled her the past 2 days and she has been fine. Everytime i have picked her up it is when she has been out in the open.

when i went to feed her earlier on i had to take her out of her cave, and when i did so she struck at me , could this be because i was invading her "safe zone"?

Thanks for any replies.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  20:26:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good to hear she has gotten better the past 2 days

when you took her out of her cave, did you have mousey smell on your hands? or was their mousey smell around?
only asking because she may have struck at you because you either smelt like food or she could smell food and was excited

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  20:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what happened to me, the stress of them moving, different sights smells etc can set them in a peed off mood, as you would if you were taken and dumped in a house you didn't know.

Glad to hear he's calmed down, means he gotten used to you and knows you wont eat him
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  21:08:27  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I had brought the pinkie up stairs placed in the tub which i feed her in and placed the tup on my bed, then i washed my hands, so there was no smell on my hands but the pinky was in the same room so i guess she may have smelt it.

She deffinitely seems to have calmed down a little, she is very active when i handle her but dosn't seem to be trying to get away as much and the couple of times i have handled her she hasn't struck at me when i went to pick her up although she is a little nervous at first which is obviously to be expected.

I was just wondering why she may have struck at me a couple of times when i went to pick her up to feed her and didnt when i had handled it earlier, it could have been because she smelt the mouse although at the time i didnt put it down to this as i had washed my hands. I just wondered wether she might have struck at me because i had moved her hide to get to her.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  22:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She may still just be fairly nervous.
One of the hatchlings I got in October has only just stopped striking at me, When it did strike, I just let it because I know it doesn't hurt and eventually the snake stopped doing it.

Not the best way, but IMO with a small snake, it's the easiest.
How old is the snake roughly?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  23:13:18  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

She may still just be fairly nervous.
One of the hatchlings I got in October has only just stopped striking at me, When it did strike, I just let it because I know it doesn't hurt and eventually the snake stopped doing it.

How old is the snake roughly?

I try to just ignore her when she strikes at me although sometimes she does catch me off guard and then my natural reaction is to pull back. When she strikes she dosnt hang on so that also made me think that it werent due to her thinking i was food.

I don't know about the age, i just know that the shop had her in for about 2 weeks and that she had been feeding fine but hadn't shed her skin while she was with them. She is about 14 inches long i think, i havn't measured her but from handling i would say that was about right from head to tail.
We don't have any small scales at the minute so im not sure on weight either but i am looking to get some. My nan has cooking scales somewhere so the next time i go to her house i may just rob them, she dosn't use them no more anyway lol.

I was meant to ask in the shop how old she was but just forgot from the excitement of getting my first snake after wanting one for several years

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  03:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont worry Danny...what everyone has said is right . Casper is still just settling down, you have only been handling her for 2 days and this will have been the first time you took her out of her hide, which would have been new to her. Also, remember that she will have been hungry after the one-week no handling or feeding, so it is not surprising she was jumpy...especially if she could smell the pinkie in its tub on your bed.

Just keep doing what you are doing, cos you are doing it right !! (Remember the no handling for 48hrs after feed !!) Take it patiently and calmly, small periods of handling, take her out whether she is in hide or not. A lot of people wouldnt get to handle their snakes' if they waited until they came out of their hides !! The main thing is dont be nervous about handling her and if you are then fake it until you arent!!

You are doing a great job, keep it up and keep us informed.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  12:30:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kellog

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  15:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Blitz gave up after 4 weeks, he's 4ft.

Yes, persistence is key! They'll come round with 5 minutes handling a day for a few weeks then step it up (remember leave her 48hrs after eating )
When he was gonna bite, i'd turn away yet still scoop him out. the shock is worse than the pain. the fact it's so quick

If your'e really worried about being nipped (it doesn't hurt even from a 4fter! It tingles and if your'e lucky theres a drop of blood) but hatchies you wont even feel, I'd put a towel over her head and get her out, she'll be calmer in theory!

Blitz still rattled and thrashed about for the first few days when I did the towel on him, as he couldn't strike at what he couldn't see. Just takes time

Edited by - hillzi on 07/01/2010 15:24:45
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  15:59:09  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

quote:

If your'e really worried about being nipped (it doesn't hurt even from a 4fter! It tingles and if your'e lucky theres a drop of blood) but hatchies you wont even feel, I'd put a towel over her head and get her out, she'll be calmer in theory!

Blitz still rattled and thrashed about for the first few days when I did the towel on him, as he couldn't strike at what he couldn't see. Just takes time

The bite dosn't bother me, shes got me a few times and with the hatchlings you dont feel a thing.

As for the towel thing i think that could a bit tricky lol, she is only in a faun at the minute and when i take her out rather than take the whole lid off, i tend to just open the flap thing at the top. She's real quick and when you take the lid off she finds it fun to slither up the sides and try to get out.

She's one that you have to really keep your eye on at all times.

I tend to just put my hand in and pick her up, i make sure she can see me so she dosnt get as stressed when i pick her up as normly it is when she dosnt see me that she strikes. She wiggles around a bit when your takig her out but calms down when shes out of the faun.

It was just that she struck at me more than usual when i took her out of her hide and i wondered wether it could have been the fact that i was coming into her hide to get her, i would normly take her out when she is out and about as she is a very active snake and is often on the move around her tank or curled up behind her cave (dont ask why lol). I also havn't got a hide in the cold end at the minute as i didnt pick one up in the shop when i got her but she seems fine for now burrowing under the sub strate. I made it nice and deep for her in the cool end .

I picked her faun up the other day to have a peek underneath and she has made little tunnels here there and everywhere, it was pretty cool.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  09:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ossie is still quite nervy when you go to pick him up, he has a good old wriggle to try and get away, but if we open the door to his viv and let him get the majority of himself out first then kind of catch him he doesn't mind being held.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  13:01:18  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grace85

Ossie is still quite nervy when you go to pick him up, he has a good old wriggle to try and get away, but if we open the door to his viv and let him get the majority of himself out first then kind of catch him he doesn't mind being held.

Would try it but casper is in a faun, and even in a viv he would probably just try to escape lol.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  13:05:02  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ginger wont let me get her out of her hides, she rattles her tail and im sure if i kept bugging her to get her out she would stike me. She only goes in her hides hwen she wants to be left alone so i leaver her when shes in them lol

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  13:07:09  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Casper is out and about quite alot so when i want to handle her i tend to pick her up when she is out in the open, just that it was dinner time and she was in her hide...

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000