Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  11:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

Hope youve had a great christmas.

Just a little bit concerned about Stella, probably no need to be though.

I fed her on 23rd December, left her alone, she hid away for 48hrs as usual, she then did a pooh Christmas morning (didnt see her).

So i cleaned her out and then tried to handle her, but noticed she was 'blue' and her eyes were clouded over. She seemed really jumpy so i left her alone.

She has now been hiding away since 23rd.

I cant remember what happened last time she shed, she has only she with me once and it was a few days after i got her.

She is normally out and about all day and is a really active snake and doesnt mind me handlgin her at all.

Is it normal for her to hide away for such a long time when shes ready to shed?

Is it possible that this is just her nature and she goes grumpy when in shed? It just unusual because she is usually so friendly and active.

She was due a feed yesterday but with her hiding away i didnt bother and didnt want to stress her out by handling her.

Should i just leave her alone till after shes shed?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  12:13:24  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

basically yes lol

during the shedding process their eyes go milky and then clear afer a few days then usually within a week of their eyes clearing they shed BUT even though their eyes appear to clear their vision is still very much reduced so most will choose to stay hidden away for the whole process. that's also why handling isn't advised until they have actually shed

this time of year everything seems to slow down, even how long shedding takes from start to finish. my biggest boa usually sheds in exactly a week but her last one took two weeks.......

try no to panic hun

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  12:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot GP.

Just wanted to make sure this was normal.

Its so strange not seeing her out and about doing acrobatics off her log, lol.

Thanks alot.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  20:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,

Ive got myself an amil corn and only had him for around a month. He initially had an explore around the viv then went in the hide at the cool end of the viv. He has fed once and went striaght back into his hide at the cool end. He has stuck his head out a few times but other than that he has stayed in his hide. I just wondered if i am doing something wrong or is this normal ???? ( I havent tried to get him out of the hide to handle him as thought it best to leave him to come out of his own accord). Little advice please ?????
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  20:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a newbie as well Theo- but Im pretty sure that Those WHo Know will want to know a bit more information- such as temps in the viv- and what thermometer your using and snake age
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  20:46:01  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if its a young corn, thats normal behaviour

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  21:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corns quite happily sleep out in the open, and sometimes dont bother with their hides.

But yes, leave her till she's shed it should only take about a week.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  21:51:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if the viv is relatively large, or open, or open-sided (ie. vision, a plastic faun or glass viv) it might be stressing that it's too exposed if it comes out.........

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  04:08:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

basically yes lol

during the shedding process their eyes go milky and then clear afer a few days then usually within a week of their eyes clearing they shed BUT even though their eyes appear to clear their vision is still very much reduced so most will choose to stay hidden away for the whole process. that's also why handling isn't advised until they have actually shed

this time of year everything seems to slow down, even how long shedding takes from start to finish. my biggest boa usually sheds in exactly a week but her last one took two weeks.......

try no to panic hun

Thanks for asking Gaz! Am in same situation with Kellog, he went blue around the same time as Stella and would usually hide while he was blue and then be out and about between then and him finally shedding (although I never feed him or handle him in this period) but he has stayed in hiding since turning blue....so GingerPony has answered the question that has been worrying me too!

quote:
Originally posted by Theo

Hi folks,

Ive got myself an amil corn and only had him for around a month. He initially had an explore around the viv then went in the hide at the cool end of the viv. He has fed once and went striaght back into his hide at the cool end. He has stuck his head out a few times but other than that he has stayed in his hide. I just wondered if i am doing something wrong or is this normal ???? ( I havent tried to get him out of the hide to handle him as thought it best to leave him to come out of his own accord). Little advice please ?????

As already said Theo, it would be good to know a lot more info about your corn's set up...size of viv, temps, set up etc. If he is a hatchling then it is normal behaviour for him to be nervous and hide. Do you handle him? What is he like when you have him out? I know its lots of questions but the more we know the better we can help.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 30/12/2009 04:13:14
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  13:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn snake is just 18 months old in a viv with heat lamp at one side at 84 degrees f the cold side is 72 f the size of viv is 4 feet by 3 by 3. their is lots of greenery to hide in and have hides in both cold and warm areas.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  14:38:32  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Has it shedd yet ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  18:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope no sign of shedding yet
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  20:58:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theo

my corn snake is just 18 months old in a viv with heat lamp at one side at 84 degrees f the cold side is 72 f the size of viv is 4 feet by 3 by 3. their is lots of greenery to hide in and have hides in both cold and warm areas.

thats an absolutely mahooooosive viv! especially for a cornsnake that size/age! my 6ft boa isn't in a viv that big!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  12:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oops sorry jsut measured it again its 3 by 2 by 2 and the corn is around 2.5 foot long
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2009 :  13:11:08  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
still mahooosive hun, plenty big enough for a 5ft corn for life!!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  09:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theo - It sounds as though you could definitely do with downsizing your viv to one that would suit your snake better. They get scared in big spaces, so it is not surprising it is hiding out all the time. The usual rule (I think, and please correct me if I am wrong is that the snake should be able to stretch the length and depth of the viv....anything bigger than that is too big *nervously waits to be corrected*) At least you already have a viv for your snake to grow into...when it is the right size for it!

GP - Kellog still hastn shed, having gone blue before Christmas, and is remaining in hiding. Should I be worried yet? Is due a feed tomorrow but not planning on feeding him until after he has shed. Was fed day before he went blue and has only pooed once since, rather than the usual 3 times. Am not handling him or disturbing him, but wonder if he needs encouraging to poo? Know I am being neurotic...but you know what I am like!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  12:57:16  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol yeah hun try not to panic!
everything seems to be on a go-slow this time of year, my biggest boa religously takes a week to shed from start to finish but the last one in December took 2 weeks........
all the body processes seems to slow down (even if the snake isn't brumating as such) unless you're controlling the photoperiod and ambient temps to make them think its the height of summer

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  18:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So when do I start panicing??? He seems to have gone blue again...eyes clouded over again. Very strange.

Also looks like Silvesta may be heading into a shed, 1st with us so should be interesting.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  08:55:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

So when do I start panicing??? He seems to have gone blue again...eyes clouded over again. Very strange.

Also looks like Silvesta may be heading into a shed, 1st with us so should be interesting.

xxx

Fantastic news GP - Kellog shed last night!!

He cleared from being so blue a couple of days ago and actually ventured out of his hide last night about 8pm. Wanted to video it, so sat watching but nothing....gave up and went to bed at 11pm . Was awake again at 1am, and there was a beautiful clean full shed in his viv and he was out and about exploring . Has also been out all morning begging to come out so am just about to give in to him. He looks beautiful and is so active. I know it wasnt anything to panic about but must admit to being relieved.

Thanks for your reassurances GP....I needed them .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  10:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to read that kellog is okay and has shed.

Ive put pics up of stella last night if u wanna check them out in photo section.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000