Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  08:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we took Lee's advice and tried Steve with another pinkie after 5 days and he devoured it!!!! It was really good cause hubby got to watch this time too. at this rate he is gonna be a big boy bless him, looking forward to his first shed now too. Thanks guys for all the advice :-)

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  17:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mom2mysononly

Well we took Lee's advice and tried Steve with another pinkie after 5 days and he devoured it!!!! It was really good cause hubby got to watch this time too. at this rate he is gonna be a big boy bless him, looking forward to his first shed now too. Thanks guys for all the advice :-)

That is such good news Dawn. Lee's advice is always good to follow !!! I am so glad Steve has taken food from you and that your OH had the chance to watch. He just needed time to gain in confidence and get over his fear of you, knowing he was safe taking food from you. Am sure OH enjoyed seeing it...which means he may be wanting a corn of his own soon .

No need to thank for the advice...that is what we are here for.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2010 :  19:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the way those cute little babies look. When I got Snickers I told people she looked like a thread with a head attached.
quote:

Hi all,

My names Dawn and we bought our son a snake for xmas as he had been asking for one all last year.
We believe he was born the beginning of Nov so only a baby yet, I picked him up from the shop on the 23rd of Dec and as you can imagine my son was excited xmas day when he got him!!!
He has named him Steve and he is a very friendly and lively character, i could spend hours watching him!!
My main concern is he doesn't seem to want to take the food from the tweezers, the first time he fed, i had left it in his viv over night and by morning it was gone and he had a nice bulge in his belly, this time i have tried again and still he doesn't want to take it from me.
I have now left it in his viv again to see if he will take it.
Do i need to worry or is he just a shy eater? the shop said they used to feed him a pinkie every monday.
It's now Wed and he doesn't show signs of wanting to feed yet.
Have had a look at the feeding guide which is great, was just hoping to catch him striking and eating the pinkie.
Thanks again i can see this site being a wealth of advice.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2010 :  08:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:

That is such good news Dawn. Lee's advice is always good to follow !!! I am so glad Steve has taken food from you and that your OH had the chance to watch. He just needed time to gain in confidence and get over his fear of you, knowing he was safe taking food from you. Am sure OH enjoyed seeing it...which means he may be wanting a corn of his own soon .I wouldn't go that far, he staill can't bring himself to touch it but watch this space!! will give him time i'm sure he will in the end.

No need to thank for the advice...that is what we are here for.

xxx

Have videoed all of it this time, will upload later.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  13:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Steve has suddenly gone dull in his colouring and his eyes are not as bright red as when we first got him, I picked him up from the shop on the 23rd Dec, which is 3 weeks and 2 days, i had gone in the shop the weekend before to buy him, so in theory it is 4 weeks tomorrow since i first saw him. Does these signs mean he is going to shed soon? also how long does it normally take from start to finish and is there anything i should buy in to put in his viv to help him along?
I have moved his water bowl to the center of his viv so his water is a bit warmer to help him, as i was advised to do this.
Is there any thing else i should know?

Thanks in advance for your help all. :)

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  16:58:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, Steve has suddenly gone dull in his colouring and his eyes are not as bright red as when we first got him, I picked him up from the shop on the 23rd Dec, which is 3 weeks and 2 days, i had gone in the shop the weekend before to buy him, so in theory it is 4 weeks tomorrow since i first saw him. Does these signs mean he is going to shed soon? also how long does it normally take from start to finish and is there anything i should buy in to put in his viv to help him along?
I have moved his water bowl to the center of his viv so his water is a bit warmer to help him, as i was advised to do this.
Is there any thing else i should know?

anyone please?

Thanks in advance for your help all. :)

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  17:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carry on feeding him as you are, When you watch him after the forth day if he starts spending lots of time Hunting then try him on fifth day feeds.

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  17:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely sounds like getting ready to shed. My baby goes dull and hides away for about 10 days in all before a shed. After about a week his eyes go blue, then they go clear again and the shed is usually two or three days later. If you see him zooming around his viv pushing his nose up against something really hard, it could be him starting the shed so keep watching as it happens really fast once it's begun. I hope you're lucky enough to see it!

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  19:45:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Sammy, Will keep any eye on him now then, will he go off his food too?

Ps, Sammy i love Twilight, such a beauty. :-)

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  20:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Sammy, Will keep any eye on him now then, will he go off his food too?

Ps, Sammy i love Twilight, such a beauty. :-)

Sammy is right Dawn. It does sound like Steve is going 'blue' and the timing also sounds about right from when you first saw him. As she said...he will go dull and his eyes will cloud over. During this time their vision is seriously limited and it is best not to handle them while they are like this. After 3 to 4 days this clears up and they look normal again. It can then take anything from 3 days to a week for them to shed.

You have done the right thing moving the water bowl and that is all that you need to do this shed. Once he has shed for the first time you will get a better idea what sort of shedder he is going to be and if he will need more help next time, but hopefully he will shed trouble free.

As far as feeding is concerned it differs between snakes. Some will feed during the time between going blue and shedding, whereas others wont. I know I dont feed mine as I imagine it is a bit like trying to eat a 5 course meal wearing your tightest pair of jeans!! But mine are adults. Offer Steve food on his normal feeding day but dont be surprised if he doesnt take it. Missing a feed during shedding time is not a big deal as he will feed afterwards.

As Sammy said, watch out fo signs of him starting to roam about the viv rubbing his nose against the side and any branches or his hides. When they do it happens FAST!! I do hope you get to see it but dont be surprised if you come down in the morning and find a nice shiny Steve and a shed skin waiting in the viv.

When you remove the shed skin you need to check that the tail bit is accounted for and the eye caps....they are the most important parts. If he has any retained shed you can let us know and we can deal with it as and when it happens.

This is so exciting for you and your son, I bet you both cant wait for the next week to be over!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2010 :  20:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks hun, it would be so lovely to see this happen as we have managed to watch him feed and drink and he is a real inquisitive character, earlier he crawled up my chest and got curled up under my cardigan on my boob!! Lewis thought it was hilarious bless him. Lets hope he has a trouble free shedding!!

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  01:46:11  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Dawn, welcome to the forum, sounds like all of youand Steve are getting on great.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  11:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mick, my son and me really love him to bits!! never thought i could feel this way about a snake!! surprising really that something so small could give so much pleasure to watch.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2010 :  17:11:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny that you should say that. My daughter wanted a snake in high school and I cringed everytime I looked at one. I've been surprised at how attached I've gotten to Snickers.
quote:

Hi Mick, my son and me really love him to bits!! never thought i could feel this way about a snake!! surprising really that something so small could give so much pleasure to watch.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  14:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve must deffo be getting ready to shed!! this is the 2nd day he hasn't been out, which is so out of character for him!! he has just been curled up either under the substrate or in a tube i put in his viv the other day, i didn't even attempt to feed him yesterday as if he had been interested he would have come out. Fingers crossed it won't be long now.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

352 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2010 :  20:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was strange that Snickers never did anything strange before her shed except to change to blue. The two sheds ago she suddenly went for three weeks without eating. I paniced and e-mailed my friend. He said as they get older it is more difficult for them to shed so they sort of go on a diet to help them to slide out of their old skin better...sort of preparing to fit into that special outfit for the class reunion or something.
quote:

Steve must deffo be getting ready to shed!! this is the 2nd day he hasn't been out, which is so out of character for him!! he has just been curled up either under the substrate or in a tube i put in his viv the other day, i didn't even attempt to feed him yesterday as if he had been interested he would have come out. Fingers crossed it won't be long now.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  03:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by godzchild9

I thought it was strange that Snickers never did anything strange before her shed except to change to blue. The two sheds ago she suddenly went for three weeks without eating. I paniced and e-mailed my friend. He said as they get older it is more difficult for them to shed so they sort of go on a diet to help them to slide out of their old skin better...sort of preparing to fit into that special outfit for the class reunion or something.

I must admit that I never even attempt to feed my snakes when they are blue and waiting to shed, although I know other forum members do and some of their snakes eat during this time. I always like it to eating a 5 course meal wearing your tightest pair of jeans - uncomfortable ! And for them to miss a feed is not vital, rather than stress them by offering them a meal when they may feel hungry but not want to eat (if that makes sense )

Dawn, I am so glad Steve is definitely getting ready to shed. Be prepared to wait a few days after he has come out of blue and seems clear...then he will shed. I do hope you get to see it and that it is a full clean shed...something for you to keep to remember how small he was when he was only a baby !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  09:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that guys, i picked the tube out of his viv yesterday just to check he was ok and his eyes have clouded over and gone like a lightish blue colour, i just stroked him and spoke to him gently whilst still in his tube to let him know he was ok then put him back, can't wait now, so excited, so his eyes will go red again b4 he sheds? Once he has shed will it be ok to feed him straight away?

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2010 :  10:01:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

..... so his eyes will go red again b4 he sheds? Once he has shed will it be ok to feed him straight away?

His eyes will return to their normal colour after being 'blue' for a few days...then it will be about 4 to 5 days after that before he sheds. Be aware that while he is 'blue' he is virtually blind so will probably be scared by any sort of movement or touch.

If he is due a feed during the shed period then yes, feed him straight after he has shed. If he doesnt miss his feed day then wait until his normal day to feed him.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2010 :  07:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked Steve this morning and his eyes have gone clear now :) it was lovely to handle him again, i have missed him :( will keep an eye on him now, should have his first shed over the weekend now :)
Sorry can you tell i'm a neurotic new mom..lol

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000