Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  09:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

My names Dawn and we bought our son a snake for xmas as he had been asking for one all last year.
We believe he was born the beginning of Nov so only a baby yet, I picked him up from the shop on the 23rd of Dec and as you can imagine my son was excited xmas day when he got him!!!
He has named him Steve and he is a very friendly and lively character, i could spend hours watching him!!
My main concern is he doesn't seem to want to take the food from the tweezers, the first time he fed, i had left it in his viv over night and by morning it was gone and he had a nice bulge in his belly, this time i have tried again and still he doesn't want to take it from me.
I have now left it in his viv again to see if he will take it.
Do i need to worry or is he just a shy eater? the shop said they used to feed him a pinkie every monday.
It's now Wed and he doesn't show signs of wanting to feed yet.
Have had a look at the feeding guide which is great, was just hoping to catch him striking and eating the pinkie.
Thanks again i can see this site being a wealth of advice.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dawn! Welcome to the forum! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus . Not sure what you already know about snakes, so apologies for if I am telling you stuff you already know, but better told twice than not at all.

I know you got Steve on the 23rd Dec, but I am hoping you were told the one-week rule - no handling or feeding for the first week after getting him. This gives him time to get over the stress of the move and get used to his new environment. All you should do is change the water daily and straighten the substrate, which means he has a chance to get used to your smell. I know this is a very frustrating time cos all you want to do is handle your new snake, especially for kids, but it is worth doing for your snake's benefit. You are obviously past this stage....but thought it worth a mention. If you were not told about it (and unfortunately few people are) then it may be worthwhile starting it from now, especially if your snake is showing any signs of stress.

The care sheet on here is very good (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. You can also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

No question asked on this forum is a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Use the search option in top right corner to get information and if you cant find the answer there then ask!! Unfortunately pet shops often give 'questionable' advice , so please check out on here anything you are told just to make sure that what they have said is right.

At the moment I wouldnt worry too much about the fact that he isnt taking the pinkie when offered. He is probably still getting used to his new home and new feeder. You are obviously feeding him in the viv, which can cause problems if he swallows some of the substrate with his food...this can cause impaction (blockage). If you continue to feed him in the viv put the pinkie on a small plate so it is eated safely. What would be best is if you could feed him in a RUB (really useful box). You line it with kitchen roll. Move him into it, offer him the pinkie...if he doesnt take it then leave it in the RUB with him and cover it. He may be a shy feeder but will hopefully gain confidence as he grows, so continue to offer him the pinkie by dangling it and if it isnt taken then leave it in with him. Once he has eaten you can gently tip him back into his viv for him to digest his meal.

Dont panic about him not feeding at the moment. I take it he fed last Monday and you tried this Monday? Give him time, one missed feed is not vital at the moment. Wait and try again next Monday. Do query as to whether he should be fed every 5 days rather than weekly? Can someone more informed than me comment!!!

I hope when you got Steve you got as much info as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos !

Unwritten forum rule- pics as soon as possible! This link will help... http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - Keeping corns is very addictive....most of us start out with one and the lucky ones move on from there while others who are not so lucky try to contain their jealousy!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  10:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kellog and thank you for all the info,

When i picked up Steve the shop owner didn't have any care sheets but as soon as i got home i went online to try and find as much info as possible.
I have now printed of the care sheet from this site.
I wasn't told about not handling him for the first seven days so as you can imagine he was handled straight away!!
My daughters boyfriend has a corn snake and he didn't say anything either.
Feel awful now if we have caused a problem with him for not doing that.
Steve is not a shy snake and is always out and about and follows me round the viv and pushes at the sides as if trying to get out, he is very happy to be picked up and handled as well.
He doesn't seem to be stressed but i'm no expert.
He didn't feed last Monday, so we tried again on the Tuesday and left it in his viv over night, by the morning it was gone and he had a nice bulge..lol
We then didn't handle him for 48hrs after that.
I then tried again this Monday but to no avail! left in over night again but didn't take it.
I have tried him again this morning still doesn't want it, although he had a really good sniff at it for a couple of mins but then moved off, so i have now left it in his viv again to see if he will take it.
Here is a picture of Steve in his viv doing a good impression of a tortoise!!! lol
Have also got a book which we have recorded when we think he was born, when we got him, his first feed from us and his poo, i have also measured him he is 12.25 inches but not sure which is the best way to weight him, any advice?

Thanks Dawn

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Edited by - n/a on 06/01/2010 10:50:14
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  11:08:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is so cute!

I am not surprised you werent told the one-week rule ...but it sounds as though it hasnt done any damage as he certainly seems happy as he is out and about in his viv exploring and happy to be handled, so dont worry about that.

Leave the pinkie in his viv for 24hrs and then remove it. You dont want him to eat a rotting pinkie. I would then wait until his next feeding day...so next Tuesday, before you try to feed him again. But I am no expert so I would wait for 'those who know' to comment!!

Well done for keeping the book on him. Also useful to weigh the pinkies you are feeding him...interesting as they differ so much in size and helpful to keep track as they move onto larger meals.

As far as weighing is concerned, you can use digital scales...put a RUB on it (with lid), zero it, then add Steve (replace lid) and see how much he weighs. Hope this helps, am afraid I have slight brain fog at moment so am not explaining things very well!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  11:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks hun, you have been great
I must admit i couldn't get over the size of the pinkies compared to Steve, that's why i'm so looking forward to the day he lets us watch him eat one.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  12:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! If I wre you, continue leaving the pink in the viv overnight for the next month or so, so he'll know theyr'e din dins then slowly take it from there to strike feed. Put the pink in there with no decor, just substrate so he can hide in theyr'e when he's done feeding so he will go to the pinkie, see if he watches you.

If he watches you, keep doing that for an elapsed period of time, till you can get him to strike.

Remember if you leave the pinkie in viv, MAKE SURE IT'S ON SOME KITCHEN ROLL OR A PLATE OR SUCH so no aspen gets stuck to the mouse and Steve swallows that, not good!

He's a lovely amel, love the first pic!
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  12:55:40  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Dawn, welcome to the site. I have found this place a god-send since adopting my corn (well my son's but I still call him mine lol) at Christmas.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  14:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Hey! If I wre you, continue leaving the pink in the viv overnight for the next month or so, so he'll know theyr'e din dins then slowly take it from there to strike feed. Put the pink in there with no decor, just substrate so he can hide in theyr'e when he's done feeding so he will go to the pinkie, see if he watches you.

If he watches you, keep doing that for an elapsed period of time, till you can get him to strike.

Remember if you leave the pinkie in viv, MAKE SURE IT'S ON SOME KITCHEN ROLL OR A PLATE OR SUCH so no aspen gets stuck to the mouse and Steve swallows that, not good!

He's a lovely amel, love the first pic!

Thanks for that will deffo give it a shot, i can't believe how attached i have got to him, he fascinates me so much, trouble is my son wants him in his room so have to go in his bedroom to watch him..lol
Hubby not keen on them otherwise would try and talk him into letting me have one too..lol

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  14:21:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome,could i just ask what size the viv is that your keeping him in?

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:04:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
steve looks really sweet

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:10:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

hi and welcome,could i just ask what size the viv is that your keeping him in?

Hi Lee,
His viv is 18x11x7 inches.

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok i decided to get an old ice cream tub i had and cut a towel up and put it in, then i took Steve and put him in it, i let him have a move around to get used to it and then put the pinkie in with him, he ignored it at first then after about 5 mins he went over to it and started sniffing and nudging it, next thing i knew he had grabbed it in the middle and moved it around and started swallowing it feet first.

IT WAS AMAZING!!!!

Both my son and me were gob smacked, i had the camera with me and managed to get a picture but also took video footage as well.
I'm so pleased here is the picture of him feeding.

Is it best to do this from now on and do i do it every wed now or sooner?
Also how long will i need to do this for before he will take it from me in the viv?

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  16:28:21  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would carry on as is and feed more often,every 5 days would be best

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  17:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome
x

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  19:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya and welcome

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  19:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2010 :  22:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dawn, I am so pleased for you!! That is fantastic...and amazing to watch as well, I am sure. Lee has given you the best advice, continue as you have today and do it every 5 days.

Congratulations to you and to Steve...and I am so glad your son saw 'his' snake feed too!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  00:14:39  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  00:25:28  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, welcome to the forums

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  10:58:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the lovely welcomings, i shall enjoy being here and learning more about corn snakes

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  13:52:45  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000