Shy snakie?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  00:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn snake would not eat for a while when I first got him. After a week or 2 I put the pinkie under a hide to see if he would eat it. he did and now it is feeding time again. Again he would not eat infront of me or anywhere except in his cage. I did the same thing but only waited for 20 minutes and when I came back, he had eaten the pinkie! What do I do and is he just shy? I want so see him eat because it would be interesting and so I know he wont ingest his bedding. what do u think I should do and does aynbodys snake do this too?

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  03:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly Sara, just be pleased your snake is eating ! I know it would be great to see him eat but it is better this way than not eating at all.

All I can suggest is that you continue to offer it to him and when he doesnt take it then leave it in his viv. It may be that he is just a shy eater...some snakes are. But as he grows and his confidence grows then hopefully he will feel safer taking the pinkie from you instead of waiting for you to leave it. It is early days .

Checkout this link - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720. I know your snake isnt a non-feeder but it does give you some ideas about how you might encourage him to go into hunger mode and take the pinkie from you, like warming the pinkie to increase the smell, braining it...

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 05/01/2010 03:02:53
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  11:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you have to feed in the viv, put pinkie on a piece of kitchen roll or on a clean jam jar lid, anything that would protect it from substrate sticking to it.

But you want snakey to eat outside the viv and where you can see it, so you can take it in stages. First stage, instead of leaving pinkie under a hide, put both pinkie and snake in a feeding box, close the box lid, cover with a towel. This way you are teaching him to eat outside the viv.

Once stable this way, again put snakey in the feeding box, but now offer the pinkie at the end of tongs.

This might work. If not, any way he feeds is good, as long as no substrate goes on the mouse.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  16:26:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
keep going as you are, and try watching again in a month or so

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  20:59:54  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As he is eating under cover, try putting the pinky under a plant if you have one, I have one of those Boston Ferns that are bendable, pretty good cover but still enough to see under. As already said, put a food dish or other surface to put the pinkky on to protect against substrate.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000