I found my snake in the bin!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  22:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My little snake has just had a very lucky escape, I came in from work and was emptying bins, when I put my hand in the living room bin I found Medusa all curled up and very cold!

I know that she was in her viv last night so can only imagine that she has escaped (by forcing the side of her tub apart, as she has got strong)during the night or today. She has a scratch on her which is very similar to a cat scratch and I think my small cat has got hold of her as she escaped and swiped her into the bin!

Not only was I very lucky that I spotted her before she was tipped into the dustbin sack, I was also very lucky that she didn't escape out of the bin and lost in the flat (think she may have been in a bit of shock poor thing), also I am very grateful I found her before I realised she was lost otherwise I would have turned the place upside down in a panic!

I have now ordered her a proper viv (I think her escaping was to show me she is ready for a bigger home with more room) I have botched together her current home with pegs and a towel, so that she can't go far should she get past the pegs (which is very unlikely!)

My concern is, how hardy are they? Will the shock of being in the bin all day affect her? Also do I need to worry about the very small cat scratch she has, I think not as it is tiny but best to ask people that know!

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  22:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corns, in my opinion, are incredibly hardy snakes. Give her a few days peace to calm down and become accumiliated to her surroundings again.

The scratch, got any pics? She will most likely go into shed soon to heal herself, and it should disapear within time.

Glad you got her back!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  22:23:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hillzi,

I've put her in darkness now to calm down and warm up, so unfortunately no photo's, however she only shed at the end of December which is annoying. but the scratch is only a few scales across it just worried me as it may be deep if its a claw wound, I shall be keeping a very close eye on her, little munchkin!

Tina and Medusa x

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  22:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very glad you found her..bless her
the scratch should heal ok - she will probably shed several times in a relatively close period compared to her normal shed pattern, thats normal - just how corns heal

i know there is something that you could put on it if you are really concerned about it but GP can help more there!

leave her for a few days to settle and she should be ok - really glad you found her!
oh is there anyway that the scratch could have happened while escaping out of her faun?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  22:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Hannah,
I certainly can't rule that out, but the tub is plastic (actually recommended by the Pet Shop where I bought her, as corns are known for their escapism skills) but it looks like she's put pressure on a (not very) weak spot and slithered through. Can't locate any sharp edges, but I am going to replace the tub with a decent viv instead. I think she's ready and I known I won't sleep at night with her current set up, now I know she's done it once!

Tina and Medusa x

Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  23:21:18  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could the cat have mayb knocked the lid up? Just a thought!

Bet you're very relieved you found her lol!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  00:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corns are very hardy.
I have just realised that the two snakes I found were the other way around to what I thought. I found Normal two days after he got out and Max one Month afterwards, he was fine.
I have just put him in a tub with a brained Pinky and he has eaten it so he should soon be back to original health.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  03:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tina - I am so glad you found Medusa safe and sound (before you binned her and before you realised she had escaped !). Think HannahB and Hillzi have answered your concerns about her scratch. If you are really concerned about it being deep you could move her onto kitchen roll instead of her normal substrate...so you can be sure to prevent any infection. I am sure GP can advise you best and a pic would definitely help. Hope your viv is now escape proof, but I am sure you will sleep a lot better once she is in a new home.

Stumpy - Cant believe you mixed them up!! Poor Max being mistaken for Normal, and vice versa ! Does show how hardy they are as Max survived for a month without any damage. So glad he has eaten...and sure he will soon be back to full health.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  11:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Even though she shed end of Decemeber, if she needs to do it again in order to take care of her skin, she will, regardless of how recently she shed. So don't be surprised if the does that, it would be normal and good.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  18:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were you put her on kitchen roll, to avoid infection JUST IN CASE!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  22:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for all the advice and kind comments,

I am very relieved to have found her (before I realised she was gone!) I have no doubt the cat helped her out (quite literally!) She seems to be pretty settled today, I have done what I can with her current accommodation, sadly I'm not convinced the 24hr delivery time will be met for her new home with this weather.

Tina and Medusa x

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000