What book and other questions...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im going to buy my 1st corn snake within the next month, Ive kept Tarantulas for 8 years so I do have experience in keeping exotic pets. Ive read "Corn Snakes" by R.D. and Patricia Bartlett which tells you the basics but Im looking for something at bit more comprehensive to read before I buy my 1st snake-can anyone suggest a good book?
Also, Ill be buying a young snake which will be housed in a plastic tub-would it be ok to keep it in a big plastic tub that my tarantula juveniles are in (theyre obviously in their own small tubs) or would it be better on its own?
Lastly, are all of the different colour variations as hardy as each other or are some hardier than others?

In Heaven all of the interesting people are missing...

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:46:56  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
anything my Kathy and Bill Love!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:48:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, mainly 'Corn Snakes - the comprehensive owner's guide' lol and if it helps: ISBN 1-882770-70-6

Edited by - gingerpony on 02/01/2010 17:49:07
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent thanks! Just ordered off Amazon!

In Heaven all of the interesting people are missing...
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:56:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
definitely worth whatever you've paid for it i think the latest edition has a white background with a reverse okeetee corn on the front....

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  20:59:14  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is no real difference in the hardiness of any particular colour variation.
Most people actually choose their snake purely because they like the colour of it.

Although most young (hatchling) snakes will look different as an adult, compared to when they are young.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got Corn Snakes and other rat snakes by Barlett and Barlett and
The guide to owning a corn snake by Jerry G walls.

But the troubles with these is theyr'e american and include other rat snakes and generally little on corns, and encourage feeding snakes with rodents caught from the wild and live prey... being americans.

Edited by - hillzi on 02/01/2010 21:15:28
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:11:38  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

ok, mainly 'Corn Snakes - the comprehensive owner's guide' lol and if it helps: ISBN 1-882770-70-6

Ditto

Its an excellent read and covers pretty much everything

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:23:35  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have just ordered the comprehensive guide too. I can't wait to have a read through and get my son to look at it too.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  05:15:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

There is no real difference in the hardiness of any particular colour variation.
Most people actually choose their snake purely because they like the colour of it.

Although most young (hatchling) snakes will look different as an adult, compared to when they are young.

If you are choosing your snake cos of liking the colour check out this site to see how a hatchling changes once it grows...http://iansvivarium.com/cornmorphs.php.

(Cant believe I am recommending iansviv....this site is lethal! Once you go on and look, you come off with a list of all the corns you want next!! )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
for a hatchie a large flat faunarium - one of the exo terra ones will do for the first year or so depending on how fast he/she grows, after that you could then get a big viv and partition it off or you could get a RUB and keep upgrading it

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  00:33:16  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with Hannah on the setup this is what I have and had no issues, I got the following setup from them

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2623&ProductGroupID=1287

But I asked thm to change the strip thermometers for an Exo Terra Difital one, I also asked them to ditch one of th ehides as I already had a snake cave. And I asked them to change the small water dish to a medium one. They did all that I got the set up for £59, excellent deal I think. Then I got my Elijah (Carolina Corn) for £44.90. I daresay you could get a gatchie for cheaper elsewhere but as I was already buying from them. Oh yeah I also bought a Small Boston Fern and an Exo Terra Silk Vine from my local RC.

Here's a pic of my setup.

If you decide to feed snakey inside the enclosure I would suggest buying a small shallow food dish or something to put the pinkie(s) on, or invest in a seperate container. My Elijah feeds both inside his faun and in another container with no issues.

Alot of books say basically the same thing, I have yet to ge the one mentioned above. So most of your info will come from forums, they tell you the little things that the books don't. First thing I did was a few months research, then found this forum, whacked up my pre bu ylist and got loads of helpful opinions, then went out and bought it all.

Regards
Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 05/01/2010 00:39:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000