Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  16:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been in the mood to see how a snake eats a live pinkie. I'm a little worried though as I have never fed Caius a live one before. Do they constrict them or eat them whole like the thawed pinkie? Would I just drop the little pink in with him or hold him with the clamps head first? I am afraid he would just swallow the pinkie and it would be alive in his throat just squirming around! After he moves out of the pinkie stage I probably won't feed him live as I don't want him to get injured. But I thought it might be cool to see it once. I also own pet rats which I adore so I might not find it very cool.... but I thought I might try it just this once out of curiosity. Please educate me my friends.

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  16:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't feed live just for purely to see how it happens.

The Pinkie and snake will go through un-necceseray stress. I dont think with pinkies the risk is there to get injured but I wouldn't risk it.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snake will eat it alive. Frankly there is almost no differance in how a corn will eat a live pinkie or a dead one.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:16:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ghostmike

But I thought it might be cool to see it once. I also own pet rats which I adore so I might not find it very cool.... but I thought I might try it just this once out of curiosity. Please educate me my friends.

try you tube!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:17:27  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

The snake will eat it alive. Frankly there is almost no differance in how a corn will eat a live pinkie or a dead one.

except the stress the pinkie will go through being separated from its mum and siblings and then being slowly crushed.........

i've HAD to live feed in the past, it's NOT as quick as you think.......

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:24:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Plus, what will you do if your snake gets a taste for live and then won't take f/t anymore?

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

except the stress the pinkie will go through being separated from its mum and siblings and then being slowly crushed.........

Im with you. There is no point live feeding unless its needed. My point was that if hes after something to watch, a little corn eating a live pinkie looks the same as it eating a dead one except it moves a bit more.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:40:59  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and the bigger they live prey item the more damage it can potentially do to your snake.........have you seen a rodent's scary teeth?

Edited by - gingerpony on 02/01/2010 21:32:52
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  18:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it will only be for your benefit, the snake doesn't need to eat live, like someone else sed, if you want to watch something live get eaten try youtube.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  20:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Americans feed live for entertainment, you'll find many are American regarding the live feed video's.

wer'e not american and we don't.. erm 'approve' of their method's.

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  20:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I fed live once when I was having problems with Sid not eating for three months I supervised him and he killed and ate the mouse not needed to since.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:09:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Live feeding is a very grey area in most ways.

As it's been said above, there are a lot of reasons why you shouldn't.
The most important one is that because you would be live feeding because you'd want to see it, then it's classed as entertainment.
Live feeding for entertainment is cruel AND more importantly illegal.

Live feeding to ensure the survival of a snake is not.

I have a snake that has not eaten properly since it hatched in August, it's down to 4grams now and is about the thickness of a standard USB cable. Yet I have not considered live feeding for that, but if it was to ever come to it, I would be doing it under the supervision of a vet or highly experienced herpetologist and it would be purely to make sure the snake lives, nothing more.

The way I look at it, is there really a huge amount of difference to seeing a live pinky being fed or a frozen/thawed one?
They are both small pink mice that get eaten, just wiggle the pinky with your tweezers if you want to see how the snake will react to it.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  21:38:00  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

and i'd like to point out that was for a young boa that had eaten 4 times in a whole year and was having rapid weight loss and i DID genuinely think he was going to die if i didn't give it a go.

and i'm happy to say he's now on frozen/thawed rat weaners

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:10:28  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

try you tube!!

You took the words from my fingertips! :D If you're corn it taking F/T then if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

Forgive me for jumping in here and I could be way off base (and if that's the case then Sorry in advance) BUT it's my understanding that the law, as it currently stands in this country is that whilst live feeding is not unlawful, it should be regarded as a 'last resort' for a snake that is UNABLE to feed otherwise. This should come a long way down the list of 'things to try' when your snake has refused all other methods of feeding.

If your reason is simply
quote:
I have been in the mood to see how a snake eats a live pinkie.
then you'd better start thinking about how you're going to explain it to the RSPCA as I'm fairly sure that motivation would be regarded as unnecessarily cruel to both pinkie and snake.

xx

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Right after I posted my statement I looked on you-tube and was very put off. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I don't have the best stomach and really have the highest regard for all animal life. I guess it was more out of curiosity to see how corns in the wild would feed. I've actually been considering buying a royal python at some point and have decided that if it dosen't eat thawed I'd have to return him. To tell truth I'm a little embrassed now to not have done my reasearch before igniting such a fire. I love and appreciate all the replies and how strongly against this everyone is. I will definatly take the majorities advice and stick with what has always worked during feeding. This is the reason I love to be a part of such a great group of people. Thanks again!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi GM, I'm really really sorry if it felt like I'd flamed you. It wasn't my intention at all I was just concerned and wanted to make sure that you understood the implications of trying live feeding.

Best wishes (and happy defrosting!) xxxx

*edited for flippin' awful spelling

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Edited by - n/a on 03/01/2010 01:30:15
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  05:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bbsmog. No not at all. I appreciate all the concern that came with the responses. I really didn't realise the harm and struggle the little pinkie would go through. Not to mention how stressful it would be on my boy Caius. I just really didn't think it through. I guess its kinda like me, after a week of not eating, being put in the room with a live chicken... Not cool for anybody involved.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  06:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its the great thing about this forum Mike, you can post a topic like you did (although maybe you could have done a bit more research into it before you did!) and you get a response that informs and guides you...but doesnt attack you or flame you! We do try and keep it that way!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:31:00  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well done everyone (especially ghostmike) good thread that stayed on track and only facts and ended in a good decision

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:23:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ghostmike

Right after I posted my statement I looked on you-tube and was very put off. I couldn't watch the whole thing. I don't have the best stomach...

that's you tube is for hun lol

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000