Advice on housing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:22:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have added a photo of the faun that came with Alice when we adopted her. I haven't messed with it too much while he was settling it apart from disturbing the substrate abit, changing water and looking in his cave to make sure the mouse had gone down no problems. Oh and there is also my sons glove in there now so Alice can get used to his smell.

The advice I am looking for please is:
- When should I upgrade to a bigger viv and what size should I go for? The faun is about 14x8 inchs and Alice is roughly measuring the combined length and width. I haven't got an accurate measurement yet as he hasn't been out.
- If I don't upgrade yet should i get some sort of background or plants for the back to make it look more homely for him? What can you recommend?

I was just about to order the thermostat he needs but thought I may as well order other stuff at the same time if he needs it. I just keep thinking his tank looks very boring lol.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

Paul Hume
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Paul Hume's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am no expert but I would say he needs a bigger viv / faun about now. I think the rule of thumb is when they are the same as a length and a width then they need a bigger housing. You can use RUBs (Really Usefull Box) which are much cheaper than a big viv and to be honest once my hatchlings grow out of their fauns I will be using a RUB before moving onto a full size viv.

As for plants I think they just like things to climb on and hide under.

hope this helps but Im sure one of our other much more experienced members will be along shortly to help out.

Our House:
2 x Carolina Corns
1 x Snow Corn
1 x Amel Corn
1 x Royal Python
Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He looks to be ready for somewhere bigger TBH.
Also he could do with 2 hides one at each end.
I would take him off the substrate straight away. Just use paper til you get can sort out a replacement.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:03:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You need a hide at both ends so that the snake can thermo-regulate by choosing whether it wants to be hot or cold.

With a glass viv I would cover 3 sides so its not as open:

Also, what substrate is that?

You could put some plastic plants in.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:29:29  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
generally length of viv + depth of viv = maximum length of snake
though there are exceptions such as for non-feeders who feel more secure in a smaller enclosure

i have no idea what the substrate is from your pic, and as i don't recognise it at all there's alarm bells ringing regarding it's potential safety/toxicity....

2 hides are ESSENTIAL so the snake can thermoregulate and remain feeling safe, secure and hidden. it doesn't need to be an expensive shop-bought Exo-Terra one, just a suitably sized clean cardboard box is fine....i have a variety of shop-bought, home-made and completely improvised hides in my vivs lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:34:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
oh, and if you're sticking with a glass or plastic faun/viv covering 3 sides of it like in BE's pic above will help the snake settle and feel more secure. i've just improvised with brown paper and cardboard in the past.....doesn't have to be proper background.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:46:46  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

You need a hide at both ends so that the snake can thermo-regulate by choosing whether it wants to be hot or cold.

With a glass viv I would cover 3 sides so its not as open:

Also, what substrate is that?

You could put some plastic plants in.

Does the snakling need the apple lol

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:48:10  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
nah, the apple's outside the viv..........

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  14:52:59  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. I figured he must be about ready but wasn't too sure if i should change it now or wait until he has settled a few weeks. When I was asked about adopting him I was told he came with all equipment so I didn't buy anything until I saw exactly what he was coming with. I'm quickly finding out that he now needs more than he was given in his previous home.

The substrate is corn chip, but after advice from the photos thread I will be changing it.

At the moment he is burying himself under the substrate in the cool end. I was going to put a toilet roll/kitchen roll tube in there until i get a bigger tank but wasn't sure if it might stress him while he settled in.

Shall i move him up to just a 2ft viv or straight to a 3ft?

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:20:38  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh and i think hes using corn substrate

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  16:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

Oh and i think hes using corn substrate

Superfluous post.
Try reading a thread before answering, you'll find it's already been said, 30 mins ago in the post above yours.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000