New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:13:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning a a Happy new year to you all.
I have now had My little corn just over a week now, and today is feeding day, i was told by the shop i brought him from that he strike feeds, what i want to know is how best to feed him, in his viv or out in a separate viv? If in a separate viv, when do i put them back into his normal living area? As i have read so many posts about not handling for 48 hrs after feeding.
Thanks

1 Carolina Corn- Wizard, 1 Anery corn- Epi, 1 snow corn Casper

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, i used to feed in the viv but i am getting a new corn and plan to feed outside the viv. if you want to feed in the viv then make sure that no substrate gets in his/hers mouth. if you want to feed outside the viv then put the corn in a plastic container and feed in that. then once the food is half way down your snakes body then put the container back in his/her viv to let the corn hide away.

im sure someone with a bit moer knowledge that me will come along and tell you a better answer, it up to you though wat you do. in or out the viv.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  11:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need some tongs/tweezer (reptile shops do these only a couple of quid) I use the plastic yellow zoo med ones. theres special reptile ones, as normal home ones as I found out burst mice quite easy.

As Danny rightfully said, I feed in viv (i use newspaper as a substrate no worries about indegetion. If you wish to feed outside the viv, a clean butter tub is fine for a hatchie. Plonk him in, put pinkie in the tweezers, wiggle the mouse which entices the snake, when he strikes keep hold of the mouse. this will encourage him to constrict.

But don't worry if he doesn't and if tries tugging the mouse, let him have it. It's okay to scoop him up and put him back in his enclouser, but as Spez said, its like eating a huge christmas dinner and slumping on the sofa. that's fine it's the equivelant of us going for a jog after a huge dinner, he's likely to regurgitate, so leave him 48 hours to digest Stuart and he can come out again!

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  12:35:32  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
there's reasons for and against either method of feeding and i must admit i do both for various different reasons........
the corns i usually feed in tubs, as much so that they're out of the way and can give the vivs a clean while they're out. most of the corns are on paper so there's no real risk of substrate ingestion. but sometimes if i'm in a hurry and not cleaning out i''l put one of each pair in a tub and leave the other in the viv so they're still fed separately.
the little boas aren't good feeders so to minimize stress i feed them in the viv, but my adult boa, if she can smell a rat defrosting there's NO WAY i'm putting my hand in the viv to get her out and put her in a tub!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  13:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm feeling a bit like that with my Royal, i had the corn out last night no problem, but the royal struck at me when i went to get him out, so i think he will be staying put. The reason i asked was because i was told that if you feed in the viv, they associate every time you put your hand in to get them with food, think i will be changing the substrate for paper once he has been fed and the 48 hrs is up.

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  14:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't find that and I feed both of mine in viv.
Go to Top of Page

nails
Hatchling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  15:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well just fed the corn and he took the pinkie almost straight away, more than i can say for the royal, who really wasn't interested in his mouse

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  19:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nails

The reason i asked was because i was told that if you feed in the viv, they associate every time you put your hand in to get them with food,

Think this is probably only a problem if you put your hand in smelling of mouse!!

Used to feed Kellog in viv and never had problem and have not heard of anyone else putting down their snake's behaviour to them being thought of as food.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  12:26:50  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nails

i was told that if you feed in the viv, they CAN associate every time you put your hand in to get them with food

that's a very valid and true point with the 'can' added......like others have said it's not guaranteed to happen but IS a possiblilty

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  17:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup, I just liked pointing out the fact it hasn't/doesn't happen with mine yet/at the moment.
But that goes to prove every snake is different.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000