really worried
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  11:46:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello peeps, i bought my snow corn yesterday (my first snake). My cold end is around 15-18 and warm end is around 24-29. Is that ok?

Also went i put bruce in the starter kit he wondered around for a bit, now all bruce has done all night and today is lay in the cold end of the tank under a hide, does anyone think i should be concerned or is that just normal?

Also all my temps are fine but my exo thermomiter is only on lyk 20oC but when i check the ground with my mates lazer thermoniter thing its normal.

Thanks x

shogan

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  12:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Congrats on your new snake

Warm end temp needs to come up to 27-29. Cold end temp needs to come up to 20-21.

Not sure I like him being constantly in the cold end at 15-18, but are you sure he's there all the time? Could be that he roams around when you're not looking? Btw, corns do tend to come out at dawn and at sundown and will be more active at night, so not surprised he's not active during the day.

I didn't guite get what you wrote about a laser thermonitor (what is "lyk" please?) but I'm now wondering how you are measuring temps in there... do you have a thermostat to regulate the heatmat? What about thermometers? If you have all that, where are the probes positioned, please?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  12:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the probe is set at the hot end.

lyk = like

what i mean by laser thermonitor is, it is an electric temp reader, all i have to do is aim it somewhere in the tank and it will tell me the temp in that extact spot. i have one of those black exo thermomiters (which i got in my starter kit) and i have stuck it on the side wall of the middle of the tank and it reads 20oC.

I have got a thermostat and it is set on 29c

shogan
Go to Top of Page

Chimp276
Yearling

United Kingdom
587 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  13:52:30  Show Profile  Click to see Chimp276's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Firstly you have nothing to worry about, your snake only really needs heat when its just eat. Secondly you should really get a couple of digital thermometers and have one in the hot end and one in the cool, the gauges on the stats arent very accurate.

And those stick on ones measure ambient temperature but the snake needs the substrate to be the correct temp!

0.1.0 Hypo Stripe - Aero
1.1.0 Leopard Geckos - Marley and Lemon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

33 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  14:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thnx dude

shogan
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  14:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you need to get a digital probe thermometer...
i have these in every viv, there are similar alternatives though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Water-Terrarium-Thermometer_W0QQitemZ160383763006QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Fish?hash=item25579e023e

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  14:36:45  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Agree with HannahB

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2009 :  18:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevie1990

i have one of those black exo thermomiters (which i got in my starter kit) and i have stuck it on the side wall of the middle of the tank and it reads 20oC.

Put the probe of that thermometer on the substrate or underneath it, this will give you the temp you need to read. Ambient temp is of no use, you need to know what the temp is at substrate level.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000