Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  03:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am devistated tonight. As I went to pick up my butter for his feeding he was dead. I have been crying all night wondering what I could of done wrong. We have had him for 2 months now and every week he would eat a pinkie. Last week he didn't eat. I thought nothing of it. I still picked him up every day and loved him everday. I really miss him. I looked at him though and on his underside he had like a blue bruise about halfway down his body. Please if anyone has any ideas of what might of happened please let me know. If I was the reason for it I would like to know.

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  10:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh GhostMike!
I am So, so, very, very sorry for your loss!
*BIG HUGS*
Im sure one of the guys/girls will be along soon and maybe shed some light for you?
*BIG HUGS AGAIN*
xXxXxXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Dibzy-Time
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  12:23:23  Show Profile  Click to see Dibzy-Time's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mate im so sorry. i really am !!!!!!!!!!.
With my 2 corns they have 2 lil blue black things inside of there bodys that you can see if you look closly but think its there inside body part.
I havernt got a clue what yours might be apart from the same a s mine.

*MASSIVE MASSIVE HUGS AND KISSES FOR YOU LOSS*
Go to Top of Page

Flatpack63
Hatchling

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  12:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear of your loss :(

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  13:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Damn man that sucks.

The blue splodge is probably a bruise, but if she's a butter, they may not be as see through as the snows. (the blue splats appear of snows as they are the snakes organs) Maybe the same, may not be..

If it is a bruise, it shouldn't have caused her passing.

Again, sorry fella.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  15:11:43  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess (only a guess) that what you can see is un-passed food. If it is then it may have rotted, causing septicaemia.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  16:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Septicaemia a blood disease? how would rotting food cause this?

It's got me totally stumped.

Edited by - hillzi on 26/12/2009 16:36:31
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  16:55:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its blood poisoning, can be caused in many ways, such as a build up of bacteria in rotting food.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  17:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah which would get into snakes blood stream. I knew feeding at too low temps meant they couldn't digest, but I didn't know they got septaeciamia (sp)

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  17:27:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wat were the temps in his cage? sorry for your loss. hugs. don't blame yourself, i prbobaly wasn't your fault. best to know the temps so we can help. sorry. one thing i can suggest if you really want to find out wat happened is to take him to a vet and see if they can help or maybe do an autopsy. . sorry your loss.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  18:44:12  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the dark spots are most likely to be the gall bladder leaking after death, so that wouldn't be the cause

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2009 :  21:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am so sorry for your loss..
dont blame yourself..sometimes some snakes arent meant to make it
rip little one xx

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  06:05:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks skorps, dizby, flatpack, hillzi, blackecho, danny, eeji, hannahB and all the others. Your kind words and sympathies have made this much easier to deal with. I really didn't get much support when I bought the snakes and I haven't gotten any for my little guys passing either. I knew I would get some much needed love from my snake family. It just ****es me off that if someones dog dies its a big deal, but when my snake passes its no thing to the people around me. I love that I have people that care and understand the bond between a snake and its owner. I will miss him always. I was just in such shock as I was expecting to spend the next 20 years with him. He was the best pet that I've had the pleasure of owning. To answer some questions I kept the tank during the day between 80-85 degress on the warm side. About 70-75 on the cool side. At night I drop the temp about 5 degrees on both sides. My ockette has never had any problems with digestion and up to this point neither has my butter. I took him back to the snake breeder I got him from and he said without hesitation that it was a ruptured organ that probably was a birth defect. I asked him to be honest and let me know if I had anything to do with it as I still have my other guy. He assured me my husbandry was right on and said it just always isn't ment to be. Whatever the case may be I appreciate all the love and support through my rough time. I love you guys!!!

Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  08:56:23  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
RIP little snakey!

Keep your chin up ghostmike

Damn you got me, sat here with a tear in my eye!

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  09:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rik

Damn you got me, sat here with a tear in my eye!

same,u got me too. Just wipping away that one tear from eye.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  22:04:58  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*hugs*

and Blessed Be

IMO the 'bruise' is most likely to be internal organs or bleeding out/leakage after death visible as hatchie butters will have pale bellies and thin scales...........

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2009 :  23:33:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I started keeping corns, I got 3 hatchies. 2 of them bumped it off through birth defects.

It's not your fault, don't let it put you off.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  00:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GhostMike

I'm so sorry that this has happened (particularly at this time of year, s***ty timing, mate). Pets, regardless of their species, are friends. They listen to us when others don't, they cheer us when others can't and they touch in ways others are unable to understand.

I'm no kind of expert on snakes and I'm utterly unable to explain why this happened to your little companion. But I am an 'expert' in dealing with loss (it's been a bad year for me so it feels like I'm getting 'good' at dealing with grief) and all I can say is, trite though it sounds, it does get easier. Just because it was 'only' a snake, it doesn't diminish your sadness. Indeed, clearly you are a good owner; your concern for your other snake demonstrates how much you care.

Just keep being the good owner you obviously are, keep your snake's welfare at the forefront of your mind and you'll always have the support of the members here.

Wishing you all the best x

edited for spelling.

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Edited by - n/a on 28/12/2009 00:07:40
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2009 :  00:29:13  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im so sorry for your loss :(

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  05:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ghostmike - have been away since Christmas and only just been able to come online. I was shocked to read what had happened and cannot imagine finding my snake the way you found yours.

I just cannot find the words to make you feel any better at the moment and I know there are no words to help you through this grief, although bbsmog has put it very well.

I am so glad you took him back to the breeder and have at least been reassured that it is nothing you did or did not do - although I know that does not help the guilt at the moment, but it will in the future as you work your way through it. You have always done the best for your snakes, that has been obvious from the questions you have asked on here and the concern you are now showing for your ockette.

We can only look after our snakes as though they were part of our family, which they are, and give them the best possible lives that we can. You did this, and you have every right to grieve your loss as you have lost one of your family.

You are in my thoughts.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2009 :  16:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again hillzi, bbsmog, punk, kellog and the others. It really is starting to sink in that there was nothing I could of done. Which is really nice to hear. It has really made the bond between me and my ockette much stronger. It just sucks that everytime I lift up the coconut shell I'm afraid that he'll not be moving. It will definatley take some time to get over that fear. You know the butter now that I look back, never grew any nor had the best appetite. My ockette has almost doubled in size and we got them pretty close to the same time. Well I'm glad to say that I've dried up my eyes and am moving on. I'll never forget my first corn though and will always hold a special place in my heart for him. I'll probably get another butter at some time though as I was really looking foward to my big yellow snake!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000