Our new addition!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  20:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. Well we finally got our new addition to the family! No photos yet, didnt want to use the flash and scare her!
We picked up 'Charlotte' yesterday, she is a year old black and brown colour, no idea what 'make' she is!! We have been looking for a corn snake for a while and we were supposed to go to see a breeder who was highly recommended and had a suitable snake for us. But we got a call from someone the same morning asking if we wanted her sons snake as he was bored with her, so we went to see her and brought her home. Typical..we waited months for a snake and 2 came along at once.(must say i did feel awful letting the other guy down as we had made plans to visit).
Anyway, Charlotte came with a 2ft viv and all the gear. Just a couple of things i'm not sure about if anyone can help please..
She has a heat lamp(with guard and thermostat) rather than a mat. Are we ok to switch to a mat or is it best to leave her with what she is used to?
The other thing i was a bit concerned about was activity. She always seems to be out and about, i expected her to hide away but she is very curious and as soon as we go in the room she is straight up to the glass watching us! Is this because she is relaxed and happy or unsettled, hungry, too hot, too cold etc? Silly question i know!
Sorry for the long post...i do go on a bit!

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome Ali
is always typical to get multiple offers all at once lol

1)i am not quite sure if you can switch from lamp to mat, but personallly i cannot see why not
2)she is probably active because she is having a nose about in her new home lol, aslong as the temps are correct then i wouldnt worry, just enjoy seeing her out and about

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:15:46  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There should be no problem switching from lamp to mat, just make sure you have the right size mat ans the thermostat is compatable with the mat!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:17:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would change to a mat. A bulb in a 2ft viv wont give the snake a thermal gradient. She is probably moving around alot because she is trying to avoid the heat.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We bought a mat today, as well as half the shop! Got a load of logs, branches, hides and things. We also have a new viv, we bought it last week thinking we were getting an adult snake rather than the unexpected little one! Its a 4ft one so we thought about sectioning it off so its not too big for her while she is young or perhaps filling it up with lots of things...not really sure the best way to go??
I am concerned about the lamp, do i leave her in there with it until she is ready to move into the new viv(worried about moving her too soon and unsettling her) or do i buy another smaller mat to put in the 2ft viv(would have to handle her to get the lamp out and mat in, again worried about unsettling her)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:34:04  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
me too hun, i'd switch to a mat, shouldn't be any problem for Charlotte

if she's in her familiar viv then it's just the view from her 'window' that's changed lol and it's obviously her personality coming out

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long is the snake?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  21:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure of her exact size, i'd say about 2.5 ft ish!!
This lamp thing has bothered me since collecting her yesterday, hence the early morning trip to the pet shop today!
Her personality seems to be lovely, she is a real cutie!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000