What's up with my corn.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  22:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's an August 07 hatch Ghost. I've had her since January. I've never had a problem handling her, she's always been inquisitive and happy to be handled. That us until after a shed about a month ago. Since then the slightest touch and she goes into high speed trying to escape me. I've tried putting my hands in with her for a good while and i've tried just grabbing her but her reaction is always the same.

She doesn't try to strike me or hiss or rattle. She eats, drinks and goes to the toilet fine.

It makes cleaning her enclosure out quite difficult now as I have to be quick and hold her firmly.

This is probably a question no-one can answer but will she calm down again? I can only assume her behaviour is age related. I've done nothing to her myself.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  00:20:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
not sure why it would be an age-related problem.............

she hasn't retained her eyecaps after shedding has she? this would affect her eyesight and potentially make her more nervous and jumpy

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  03:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Gingerpony about it not being age-related (and GP is our resident snake behavioural/health expert!! ).

Have you managed to have her out and handle her long enough to examine her following her shed? How often does she shed? Was it a clean shed? Dont know if it happens but maybe some of the new scales were 'pulled' during the shed and she is now oversensitive to being touched?? (GP??)

Once you get her out of the viv how does she behave...does she still try to escape?

Gingerpony's suggestion about checking the eyecaps seems the most obvious reason as the change in behaviour followed immediately after a shed.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 23/12/2009 03:52:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  08:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm positive there are no retained eye caps but I'll check anyway. Thinking about it, it must be a lot longer than a month as she's had at least 2 more sheds since this behaviour started. She's like this out of the enclosure as well. She's perfectly fine until I touch her. Because of how she's acting I've only handled at clean out time which is once a week, sometimes twice depending on her toilet habits as I don't want to stress her out.

The only thing I haven't done is carried on holding her to see if she'll calm down eventually. I put her in the cleanout tub as quick as I can at the moment.

I'm afraid I can't tell you when or how often she sheds. I lost my records on my pc when a hard drive failed.

Merauke Blue Tongue Skink | Yemen Chameleon | Tokay Gecko | Ghost Corn | Pinstripe Corn | Royal Python | Mexican Black King | Speckled King | Black & White Banded Cali King | Sonoran Cross Dwarf Boa | Western Hognose | Rainbow Crab | Tiger Oscar, Green Severum, Silver Dollars, Ornate Bichir & Synodontis.

Edited by - n/a on 23/12/2009 08:40:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  13:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The first thing that comes to mind is retained shed, but if it's not that and since she's a female, any idea if it could be something to do with eggs? Does she look swollen at all? You can try a visit to the vet, I think it's worth it even if nothing is found because then at least you'd know it's not anything physical to do directly with her.

If that's the case, then I'd look at environmental changes. Anything. Have you changed the cleaning products you use for her viv? The hand soap you use for yourself? Anything al all....?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

97 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  13:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just typical. I've had her out to be sure there's no retained eye caps etc and aside from an initial burst of speed she's back to her normal self! I'll have to put it down to her just being female lol.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2009 :  13:45:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Being female could be the answer!

Thats coming from a male whos female is 7 months pregnant!!! Lol.

Ive learnt alot about female behavioural changes over the last few months.

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000