Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I was just down the pet shop taking Beaker in for boarding over Xmas when I started talking to the guy about a Vivarium for it's bigger.

I originally had my eye on an Exo Terra 90x45x60cm
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2922&ProductGroupID=428
but the guy in the shop he wouldn't house any snakes in those because it'll be colder for the snake and also the doors aren't as escape-proof as "they say"
I was going to buy a compact top for it.
He recommended a 3x2ft wooden viv which they just so happen to sell...
Similar to this
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=1906&ProductGroupID=134
they gave a price of £180 which seemed a bit steep and also I asked about a lamp guard in the viv and he said it's not necessary for corns as they don't tend to need the heat as much but they could fit one if I wanted it...

So my questions are does anyone have any experience with the Exo Terras and is the guy stretching the truth just to get a sale?

Merry Xmas!

John

1.0.0 Beaker (10-8-09 amel)

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer wooden vivs to anything glass. 3x2 would be fine for a corn, though you can get them alot cheaper than that.

You will need a guard on any heat bulb.

Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a little shocked when it didn't come with a guard as standard and his reasoning.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that first one is really good..well my king loves it
as far as i can tell its pretty much escape proof and to stop little fingers unlocking the catch on the door i got a combination lock for it
if its the one where theres about a 6inch lip between the base and where the doors are then it helps keep the substrate in which is useful

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  15:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback Hanna.
I do like the look of the Exo Terras and would lock it no matter what just in case the little sod tried to push his way out. :)
I'm in no rush and I'm just planning ahead.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  20:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the lock on them owrks so that when you put the doors together you then move the lock mechanism (found under the handles on the doors) down to lock it and then up to unlock it.. i took the mesh lid off and tried to push them open from inside when it was locked and i couldnt do it so i am confident that my king wont either

np happy to help

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  22:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like wooden vivs, easier to heat, and glass vivs and young kids just don't work. if you alredy have a stat then all you need is a 3ft viv and an 11"x11" heatmat no way it should cost that kind of money!

I really wouldn't bother with bulbs for corns it's just extra hassel. My corns currently don't have any lighting but i found some waterproof LEDs designed for under cars and motorbikes in amongst hubby old boy racer stuff. Almost no heat at all so i may give them a go at some point.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000