Male or Female
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  10:32:16  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
What are the differences between male and female corn snakes, apart from the obvious?! Is the temperament much different between the two? Do males grow bigger than the female? Does one have more character than the other, in general? Etc, etc.....
Your views/opinions would be appreciated.
Cheers!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  11:43:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey as far as i know is that the females grow bigger then the male :)
have you seen the care sheet very helpfull

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

oh and welcome to the forum

Edited by - n/a on 21/12/2009 11:44:12
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  12:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

hey as far as i know is that the females grow bigger then the male :)

That is the case with many snakes but not so much with corns.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  13:09:07  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What about their temperament and characters, much difference there?
Thanks.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  13:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope none, *through my own experience anyway.

Only way to tell them apart which is MOST accurate is a probe or pop to be done by an experienced herper (ask your local) which shouldn't be attempted, can seriously injure snakey if done wrong! This isn't 100% either, as snakes can retarct their organs up/down their body.

Best to get it done 2/3 times to be sure.

Males generally have a longer tail, from vent to tip but this isn't precise either!

*=edited.

Edited by - hillzi on 21/12/2009 13:16:30
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  03:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can compare snakes of the same age and different sex I think you can probably tell the difference just by looking. From the vent the tail of the female tapers quickly and is much shorter. The male's tail is considerably longer and tapers more gradually. Think this is because it has much more reproductive equipment to store internally, so they need extra space in the tail to do so. But obviously you can only do this if you have the 2 snakes to compare.

Corn snakes do have a set number of subcaudal scales (the scales occuring in pairs after the vent). Males have between 70 and 80 scales, while females have only 59 to 70 pairs. But good luck in trying to count the scales of a snake that doesnt want its tail touched!

The only other way to be sure is the snake to be popped (if it is young enough) or probed. I would suggest that if you dont intend to breed or co-habit then dont worry what sex it is!

There is no noticeable difference between getting a male or female. A female may go through a 'phantom pregnancy' and lay slugs (unfertilised eggs) but I think this is a fairly rare occurance. Males also may go through a 'horny' phase where they wont eat and just want to find a mate - have experienced this with my snake who went into it the minute we bought him and it led to a 13 week fast. Wouldnt have known what was going on except for the advice on here, and they certainly kept me sane during that time!

I dont think their personality differs much...it is much more down to the personality of the snake itself rather than because of its sex - so if your female bites you it cant be blamed on hormones!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000