Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  19:59:15  Show Profile
excatly wat matty sed. they have to keep alot of stock and if they did have some die or get eaten they arent guna tel you are they. also they will be expierienced and be able to notice signs of stress and you probably wont. it is not advicable. just don't do it. go owt as soon as possible and buy a new run and seperate them plz. like i sed b4. do it 4 us.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:02:23  Show Profile
do it for all the forum guys lol ok then as i found out today that my amel is a female i have allready split them up

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:02:24  Show Profile
Because pet shops also want sales. They want you to spend money and so do not advise you about the problems cohabiting can have. Lizards and snakes are solitary creatures mostly, they do not need companions, they don't learn from each other. By keeping them in the same enclosure, you are making them fight for the best spots and not giving them any respite from each other.

I hope your two do not come to any harm, but you are putting them at risk.
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:03:26  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message
Im not jumping in to argure, Im not going to say your right he is wrong, But just something I thought I would mention as You have your snakes together. If one gets mites they will both have them, If one gets an RI you will need to take both to the vet. All I wanted to say is is it worth the risk of 2 snakes helth when It can so easily be avoided?
Thats my input and Its all im going to say on this thread!!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:05:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Reptile shops need to keep alot of stock in a small area. To do this, alot of shops house snakes together. They wont do this and then tell you not to keep them together, they would be contradicting themselves.

With small corns the odds of them causing each other harm are higher. Also understand that you are new to keeping snakes and may not notice signs of stress.

you dont under stand how many was put together tho would they not loose out on money cos they would die or eat each other

i have been to reptile shops that dont pair them they also say the say y is there such a big debate on this ???

they had 2 adult corns there paired together and the tub was sooo small whats all that about surely they should be stressed and eating eachother

Is that not enough to show you that they are trying to save space?

Thats a corner that they cut. You as a keeper should do better than the bare minimum.

Also, the corns were fully grown, so the chances of them eating each other are alot smaller.

Edited by - matty18714 on 19/12/2009 20:07:17
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:10:03  Show Profile
hello guys i know no ones is gonna go on my side i have allready split them up!!! lol as one is a female

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:15:18  Show Profile
well done for seperating them Ivan

quote:
Originally posted by reptiledanny

. also they will be expierienced and be able to notice signs of stress and you probably wont.

I would suggest Danny, that the shops that keep snakes in the same viv, has nothing to do with experienced keeping, if these shops have keepers that are experienced then they would not put multiple snakes in the same vivs, as for noticing that the snakes are getting stressed i would doubt as they would spend most of their time away from the shop, it is purely for space. If I was buying from a shop i would only buy from ones that keep the snakes safe and held seperately, and there are a lot shops out there that do.

Edited by - gmac on 19/12/2009 20:16:22
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:15:31  Show Profile
thank you, finalyy. did you do it becuz of wat we sed or becuz you found owt that one was female. if that on hadn't been female would you have still split them up.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:19:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

quote:

. also they will be expierienced and be able to notice signs of stress and you probably wont.

I would suggest Danny, that the shops that keep snakes in the same viv, has nothing to do with experienced keeping, if these shops have keepers that are experienced then they would not put multiple snakes in the same vivs, as for noticing that the snakes are getting stressed i would doubt as they would spend most of their time away from the shop, it is purely for space. If I was buying from a shop i would only buy from ones that keep the snakes safe and held seperately, and there are a lot shops out there that do.

ye i know that bit you could have an expierienced keeper that is thinking of there shop and keeps two or three together but watches for stress. a shop near me dus it. they keep two or three together but watch for stress levels and change the corns around if they get stressed.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:21:21  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

Are you talking about snakes in general here or young snakes?

Many shops will keep adults of various species together, I think you will struggle to find many that dont. Although I wouldnt do it, I dont think it is as bad as keeping young snakes together.

Edited by - matty18714 on 19/12/2009 20:22:09
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:37:50  Show Profile

Many shops will keep adults of various species together, I think you will struggle to find many that dont. Although I wouldnt do it, I dont think it is as bad as keeping young snakes together.

young snakes in general Matty, the rep shop that i now use keeps all their snakes individually no matter what age. I havent been in any shops that keep older snakes of mixed species together. but a lot of them keep same species younger snakes together.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

207 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:39:47  Show Profile
if both was male i would off kept them together unless i saw signs off stress only because i found out it was female i took it out

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:41:01  Show Profile
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7182&whichpage=3

Page 3- I can't believe this got started AGAIN!

Well done for splitting them up though, right choice for sure

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:42:10  Show Profile
quote:

young snakes in general Matty, the rep shop that i now use keeps all their snakes individually no matter what age. I havent been in any shops that keep older snakes of mixed species together. but a lot of them keep same species younger snakes together.

Maybe I worded that badly. I meant more than one of a species in a viv, not more than one species in a viv.

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:45:00  Show Profile
sorry Matty i misunderstood, the shop i use dont keep more than 1 snake per viv.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  20:46:51  Show Profile
Quite a few shops keep multiple snakes in together as it saves space and makes more financial or business sense, though that doesnt make it acceptable.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  21:01:40  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
The rep store I use don't cohabit snakes. Tortoises, female leos, anoles and other communal species yes but snakes no.

My own personal opinion is that the risks far outweigh the fact that it looks nice so it's just not worth it. I've been watching this thread develop and I'm glad to see that you made the right choice in seperating them.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2009 :  21:06:46  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by ivan.reho

hello guys i know no ones is gonna go on my side i have allready split them up!!! lol as one is a female

It's not about taking sides, it's about the safety of the snakes.
The only people I know that co-habit are experienced keepers and have the the ability to safely co-habit, and even then it's more often only done for breeding purposes, so is only also done for short periods of monitored time.

My biggest quibble personally was the fact that the sexes of the snakes were unknown, the chance of a young pregnancy in the snake would have been potentially detrimental to the snake.
Plus, Like what devilsmistress said, if one gets an infection/mites etc, then it will cost you twice the amount at the vets.

And vets bill aren't cheap, one of our members on here fairly recently had an ADULT snake become egg-bound and it cost a fair amount in vets bills.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2009 :  04:36:24  Show Profile
Ivan, I am so glad you have seperated them...well done. I dont care why you did it, I am just glad they are apart. It will be interesting to see whether there are any changes in their personality/behaviour now that they are no longer being forced to share a living space.

Getting your snake sexed was the right thing to do and has now solved this issue for you.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2009 :  23:43:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
again, i think this thread has run its course so i'm going to lock it now.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000