Aquarium
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I am getting my firse corn tomorrow and I am wanting to house it in my plastic aquarium.I think it is 10-15 gallons big. I want to know if that is okay for a while it is a small hatchling.And how long do you think I can house it in there?

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:52:06  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what are the actual dimensions?
it sounds like a 'critter cage' type thing that's suitable for fish, small rodents, reptiles etc so you should be fine........does it have a snap-on lid that's coloured plastic with lots of ventialtion and a clear plastic door (or two)? if it is it's effectively a faunarium although one's specifically for snakes don't tend to be as tall but it's no biggie......

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:57:14  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Sara, well there is alot of debate about keeping hatchlings in large enclosures. If your aquarium is a 10 gal then that would be about 20" x 10" x 12" right? Well thats just a little shorter in depth than my faunarium and about 5" taller than my faunarium. Personally I don't think you will have any issues, BUT, personally what I would do is, as well as the 2 main hides I would invest in some plastic plants (7") that have larger leaves so you can create a sort of low roof that is half the height of the aquarium. I use Exo Terra Boston Ferns, you can bend the branches into any position. Probably 2 or 3 should be enough. You could also maybe invest in some sort of bendable vines just in case hatchie fancies a wander skyward, lol.

If your aquarium is a 15 gal, you may want to wait for some advice from another member about keeping them in something that size.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 12/12/2009 22:59:07
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:59:43  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i can't picture 10 gallons..........or 15 gallons........... i need feet and inches.......... or centimeters at a push

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  23:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me neither GP.

Welcome btw. best get your hatchie a small faun which will suffice for a few months theyr'e about £7 online.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  00:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've still got both of mine in the rub's they came in lol.

Still not found time to build a viv with a divider until I get them sexed (and wait till their older).

Before anyone panic's the rubs are big enough.

EDIT

Sorry just read what I wrote, look at me a few weeks in owning a couple of corns and I think I know what I'm talking about lol If anyone disagree's with me, as always please don't think I'll take offence, experience is the best form of knowledge.

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
0.1.0 Cremsicle Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
0.0.16 Great Crested Newts

Edited by - n/a on 13/12/2009 00:53:53
Go to Top of Page

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  01:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is 16 inches long by 7 inches wide.Does this help?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  04:37:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the size and therefore the suitability of it size wise, but I would definitely take LittleMick's advice about filling it with hiding places. Also would be a good idea to cover three sides of the tank with something - am sure you can buy like wallpaper backing that suits a reptile viv. You can certainly buy exoterra background that can be fitted inside the tank. If the tank is open on all sides then the snake will feel very vulnerable, whereas by covering the sides will make it feel safer.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 13/12/2009 04:44:24
Go to Top of Page

Sara3502
Hatchling

111 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  13:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two hides on one side of it and one coconut hide on the other side. Which side should be the hot/cold side? The other two hides are ceramic.
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  14:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would maybe put one on the hot end, one on the cold end and one in the middle. or one on the hot end, one on the cold end and one half way on the hot and cold. as in half on the heat mat and half off the edge of the heat mat.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  16:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One in middle, one in cool, one in hot.

doesn't matter which the ceramic hides (the exo terra hides) are always warm to my touch as they hold heat well.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000