New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  17:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Tango has just had her first shed... I think...

She got very dusty looking and her eyes got very pale, bit sad but was kind of looking forward to it.

She's now back to her usual bright self, but there's no discarded skin? I sprayed a small ammount of water on the glass as I read this helps.

If anyones got any advise it'd be really helpful as Suzzies has just started to do the same.

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
0.1.0 Cremsicle Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
0.0.16 Great Crested Newts

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  19:33:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
their eyes clear then they usaly shed a few days later,so you have not missed it ..try moving the water bowl to the warm end

Edited by - lee2308 on 12/12/2009 19:34:01
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like lee sed they go pale eyed then they clear up then theyt shed. you have about 2-3 days to go until you will find shed skin. if you want you can put a moist hide in the cage to help. use moss for that. just put some moss in a hide or container with a whole in the top. that might help. other than you have done it all rite.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:49:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
they'll usually shed within a week of their eyes clearing again, although their eyesight is still poor during this stage so prolly best not handling her if possible until she's shed.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  23:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was not expecting Blaze to shed, and he shed after being cleaned out. I plonked him in the bare viv with substrate, while drying his caves and that. and i went in there thinking he'd burrow but produced me a full skin on bare chippings!

Moss hides will help too. :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  00:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot on guys, just got back in and whilst reading your replies I thought I'd check on them both.

Tango's just had her4 first shed and Suzzie's eyes are back to normal.

Thanks for the help and advice, stopped me panicing lol

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  05:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is fantastic news JiB410! It does confuse people when snakes go from being 'blue' to looking normal without actually shedding. Was it a clean shed? Did you check on the shed skin that the eye caps and tail tip were there? If not you need to examine Tango closely and see if there is any retained shed. If there is then run her through some damp kitchen roll or a damp towel to help her to get rid of that bit of skin that might not have peeled off cleanly. If the eyes havent come off it will cause problems and if the tail tip hasnt shed it can also lead to loss of blood circulation in the tip....so it is vital that you check those 2 things once your snakes have shed.

I am sorry you missed seeing Tango shed, it is an amazing process. Lets hope you get to see Suzzie's shed when she does it!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  20:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's shed in 3 parts, from mouth to tail. All of it's off

Worry over.

Thanks again guys.

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  00:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in 3 parts? i read somewer it means ur snake is unhealthy if they shed in patches of skin. and they are healthy if they shed in one time the whole skin.

Better Be Happy And Poor Rather Then Rich And Sad. You Can Also Be Rich And Happy.

Leaf
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  01:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grecko

in 3 parts? i read somewer it means ur snake is unhealthy if they shed in patches of skin. and they are healthy if they shed in one time the whole skin.

It can be a sign of an unhealthy snake, but not all snakes shed in one piece....in fact I think it is not a particularly regular thing to happen. I know in the time we have had Kellog he has shed 5 times, with only 2 of those being in one piece. You can assist a shed by increasing the humidity in the viv. The best and first thing to do is to move the water bowl over to the hot side.

If your snake has had a bad shed then you can add more humidity by placing a moss hide in the viv or even misting the viv once every morning just slightly. But this is really only necessary if you are expecting a problem.

What you do need to be concerned about is checking the shed skin...all the pieces. You are checking to make sure that the eye caps and the tail tip have shed off properly, as if they havent they can cause problems. Also check your snake to see if there are any patches left on its skin. If there is any retained skin then you need to let your snake run through damp kitchen roll or a damp towel, holding it tight enough that your snake squeezes through. This should allow the skin to peel off.

I am sure that the more experienced owners will be able to give you better and more reassuring advice.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  11:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes a 'bad' shed can mean that its too dry in the faun, next time maybe put a small damp hide in the faun for her like Kellog has said - spagnum moss can help or just dampish kitchen towel if you cant get hold of moss.
Other reason could be that she is dealing with the stress of 'moving house' and it might just be a one off.. One of my royals shed a few days after i got him and it was awful..the biggest peice was about 2inches long! but in the past he had been a good shedder so I put that down to the stresses of moving - he was really touchy when i first got him but has calmed down now so fingers crossed next time is better!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  13:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sids has been in the dull/cloudy phase for the past 3 or 4 days now. She usually sheds about 3 days after her eyes have cleared.

This will be her 3rd shed with me (didn't get to know much about her previous sheds as I didn't stop around the Rep Show long enough for the seller to get the info, all I knew was that she is 2 years old so her birthday is going to be 28th June as thats the day I got her.) I have kept her 2 previous sheds, one had the head missing as this was still stuck slightly after she shed, but the second one is 100% complete with mouth and eyes.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

134 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  18:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, Just did a quick search as Medusa shed today but still had a lot of dry skin on her tail, so glad I came across this as the damp kitchen roll worked a treat and she is shiny and new now!

Tina and Medusa x

1.0.0 normal corn - Medusa
1.1.0 cats - George and Meg
0.0.0.4 Giant African Snails

Location Cranleigh, Surrey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000