New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:50:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the 7 day no-handling rule apply after you have moved your corn into another viv or faun?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

cheekygit
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  13:54:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont know myself....i handled mine next day after movin him into a viv from a plastic box and i even handle him next day after feeding and while in milk etc and so far <gulps> i have seen no probs with him...he feeds, sheds, drinks and handles very well

,Same snake 2yrs apart :)
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  14:12:57  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I moved sid out of a rub straight into a viv without any problems. She investigated it the moment she entered.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  14:35:38  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i would,just to give them time to settle in and get used to their new pad.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  14:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks.

Cheeky Git - I really dont think its reccomended that you handle the day after feeding.

I will probably leave it 5 days or so just to let her settle in.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  14:49:14  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with Gaz, You should leave your snake 48 hours before handling or you'll risk regurgitation and thats something you do not want to happen

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  16:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you don't have to leave it days for a move but a couple of days maybe. feding 48 hours really.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  17:14:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cheekygit

i even handle him next day after feeding

Really not clever.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  19:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
give her a few days, its not like she's in a totally different environment

after all, its the same smells in your room, just different smelling plastic.

I'd say use her substrate she had in the other faun (not soiled) clean, but not fresh, if you get me?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:07:54  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

I'd say use her substrate she had in the other faun (not soiled) clean, but not fresh, if you get me?

good tip tom

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cheers so she'll know her environment better and be less prone to stress of moving.

it's almost like i think about what i post!

any later than this and its waffle..
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:42:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd personally leave 7 days after any move....... what have you got to lose?

and 'cheekygit' is once again living up to his name, i fully recommend forum members to totally disregard any so-called 'advice' he gives.............

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  05:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i'd personally leave 7 days after any move....... what have you got to lose?

and 'cheekygit' is once again living up to his name, i fully recommend forum members to totally disregard any so-called 'advice' he gives.............

Thanks GP, you had the courage to post the comment I wanted to but was too scared to!!

CheekyGit - have you read any of the advice you have been given on this forum?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  08:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replys, i will give her the week (5 days) between feeds to let her settle in and will do the thing with the substrate.

Cheers

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  23:56:54  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lewy

* Respect other forum members opinions. We do not like arguments on here, so if you do not agree with a forum member's post, then please say so tactfully.

C'mon guys n gals, ease up on Cheekygit, he is only offering his opinion, just like you all are, I'm not saying that I agree with him but if he isn't having any issues then then why diss him or his opinion?

Let anyone or everyone offer their opinions then let the OP decide for themselves what to do. Isn't that what it's all about?
Just to quote 2 of my personal experiences of advice;

I posted on here about Gerbils and Corns in the same room and EVERYONE who replied on that post said don't do it your snake will get stressed or remain in hunting mode. BUT not one person could quote me a fact or a personal experience, then I found loads of people that do it. So who is correct, this forum or the other forums? Now if I visited this forum only I would never have gotten Elijah So I listened and respected everyones opinion and made a personal choice.

The second time was when I got refused a sale of a corn based on "16 years experience" that a corn would get stressed in a faunarium and refuse to feed, but again other sources told me otherwise, so I made a choice to stick with the faun, Elijah feeds both in his faun AND in a clear plastic container with no cover or hides. He has had no issues feedingand no issues with the one shed he has done in my care.

Now I'm presuming there are no snake experts on here, by that I mean people who go out in the field and study them for a living?!? So we are all hobbyists, and did we all learn? Through books, advice of others and personal experience. Just thought we should be reminded of that.

Apologies if this post has upset anyone, I just don't like seeing individuals dissed for having an opinion.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  02:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

quote:

* Respect other forum members opinions. We do not like arguments on here, so if you do not agree with a forum member's post, then please say so tactfully.

C'mon guys n gals, ease up on Cheekygit, he is only offering his opinion, just like you all are, I'm not saying that I agree with him but if he isn't having any issues then then why diss him or his opinion?

Let anyone or everyone offer their opinions then let the OP decide for themselves what to do. Isn't that what it's all about?
Just to quote 2 of my personal experiences of advice;

I posted on here about Gerbils and Corns in the same room and EVERYONE who replied on that post said don't do it your snake will get stressed or remain in hunting mode. BUT not one person could quote me a fact or a personal experience, then I found loads of people that do it. So who is correct, this forum or the other forums? Now if I visited this forum only I would never have gotten Elijah So I listened and respected everyones opinion and made a personal choice.

The second time was when I got refused a sale of a corn based on "16 years experience" that a corn would get stressed in a faunarium and refuse to feed, but again other sources told me otherwise, so I made a choice to stick with the faun, Elijah feeds both in his faun AND in a clear plastic container with no cover or hides. He has had no issues feedingand no issues with the one shed he has done in my care.

Now I'm presuming there are no snake experts on here, by that I mean people who go out in the field and study them for a living?!? So we are all hobbyists, and did we all learn? Through books, advice of others and personal experience. Just thought we should be reminded of that.

Apologies if this post has upset anyone, I just don't like seeing individuals dissed for having an opinion.

To be honest LittleMick I think you are quite right in what you have said.

Cheeky Git - I apologise for the way in which I asked if you had read the advice given to you ...I should have instead said that I personally would have concerns about handling my snake the day after feeding because of the risks involved with the fact that the snakes meal has not been fully digested and therefore you could cause the snake to regurgitate its meal. It is what I would have put had my brain been in gear instead of just having a go at you.

We can all only offer advice on here obviously, although a lot of that advice is based on years of snake breeding and caring for snakes. I know I rely on that advice because I know absolutely nothing myself and can only go by my own experience, which I know isnt enough. I assume that it is through experience that this advice has come about - through the experiences of many different snake owners. It does not mean you need to take that advice, at the end of the day it is down to your own personal decision...and certainly in your case, LittleMick, you have found that the advice given regarding keeping the gerbils and snake together was not correct...although I know that my personal opinion was based on trying to put myself in the snake's position, with the smell of food constantly there - but I was obviously wrong and am happy to admit it.

We can all only truly go by our own experience, other than that our advice is purely just that - advice...not an instruction to be followed no matter what. Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 15/12/2009 02:16:38
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  16:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

quote:

I will respectfully say I don't agree!

What Cheekygit has professed to doing, seemingly on multiple occasions, is unfair to his snake and goes against all advice from experienced keepers. It also shows a complete disregard for the needs of his animal.

It sets a bad example for inexperienced keepers to read a post where someone makes out its acceptable to handle a snake the day after its fed, when there are so many other posts regarding health issues brought about my incorrect handing practice.

At the end of the day, he himself may not have had any issues, but with a mute animal there is no telling what they are feeling.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  16:37:23  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i dont think we need to keep going on at cheekygit, all the info can be found on here with ease it is up to the indivudal to find the info. and we're going slightly off-topic here.

as for the origanal question i think its best to leave alone until he has feed then leave to digest for 48hrs and then carry on with the normal handerling routine.

peace out

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2009 :  20:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Re the 7 days rule:

There is a difference between bringing home a new snake that now has to get used to a new setup as well as a new owner, and moving a "veteran" snake into a larger viv, where it doesn't need to get used to the new scent of a new owner. Possibly the new viv houses some of the "old" equipment, such as the same thermostat probes, the same folliage, perhaps even the hides, unless new, larger ones are provided.

With all of this in mind, I'm not sure I'd veer from the normal feeding schedule, but I'd time the move so that it occurs 48 hours after last feed, meaning the snake will now have 3-8 days before it takes its next feed, giving it max time to roam the new living quarters. As for handling, that would depend which of my snakes I was moving: I have one that I'm sure would love to come out for some handling, one that I'm sure wouldn't. Not sure about the other two, but considering their behaviour indicates they consider us safe, I'm now wondering if they wouldn't in fact be glad to come out from the new environment into familiar contact?

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2009 :  08:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot for the replys.

Will take it all into account. Will move her 48 hours after a feed, then leave her alone untill next feed.

Thanks alot

Gaz

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000