Corn Snake & Parrot?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:44:45  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
I keep other reptiles and would love a corn snake.
I do have somewhat of a dilema...
I have a small Senegal parrot.
Peanut is only 6" tall and 3" across so I suspect a corn snake would want to eat her....correct?
Do all snakes escape, despite their owners best efforts to contain them?
Although I'd love a snake I cant bear the prospect of my little parrot being eaten alive!
Advice/suggestions please.....
Thanks

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:55:51  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Herriot, I had the same dilemma with my gerbils, you may or may not know that gerbils along with mice, rats, small lizards, chicks are all prey for corns snakes. And after alot of researching I found that lots of people keep snakes in the same room as alsorts of animals.
On another forum I go to a few people keep rats and pythons right next to each other with no issues, neither shows any unusual behaviours toward the other. I have read a few other people keep chinchillas or guinea pigs, and on gerbil forum I go to someone kept gerbils and corns in the same room with no issues. So after all that I bought my Elijah (Corn) and he is in the sme room as my Gerbs and my Leopard Gecko and he is doing fine as is all my other lil critters.
The only thing I would say is
- Make sure the enclosures are escape proof
- I wouldn't recommend having the parrot loose in the same room if you let it free roam that is.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 11/12/2009 23:00:25
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome

i have no experience with parrots and corns but I personally think that it would have to be a pretty adventurous corn to try and eat Peanut..
not all snakes escape, touch wood none of mine have but my partner had one escape and luckily he was found pretty quickly.. i havent heard of a corn eating another pet though..
does your parrot live in a cagey thing (cant remember what they are called!).. would they live in the same room?
hope someone else can help you better than i can

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:59:31  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol, cagey thing! HannahB they are called Averys, well .... unless there are different terms for bird enclosures like there are for herps i.e, fuanarium, terrarium, vivarium bla bla bla bla.

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thats what it is!!
i used to keep budgies so im ashamed with myself that i couldnt remember what it was called.. oh the shame

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:05:22  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lol, never mind, I WON'T TELL ANYONE

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:17:52  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Peanut has a daytime cage and a night-time cage.....our outdoor budgie's lived in the aviary!
Peanut is in and out of her cage but I choose when. She is in her cage when I have my bearded dragon out and is in when I can't keep an eye on her...or if my border terrier gets too excited (only a young dog still) and likely to nip at her! Peanut is so nosey and into everything so I have to shut her away sometimes for her own good.
I must say I'd watch Peanut and a snake like a hawk but I can't keep an eye on them if I'm asleep in bed! I understand that snakes tend to be nocturnal and Peanut tucks her tiny head under her wing for 'night, nights' so the snake would have a BIG advantage if it did decide parrot looks tasty!
Thanks for the replies, so far. More please for a really rounded view.
Love all the humour....on my level...lol..you're a friendly bunch!!!!!

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, I have no experience of having a snake and something that might be regarded as its prey but I dont see that it should be a problem. Is your parrot caged usually or out on a perch? As long as you follow all the precautions you can to stop you snake escaping it shouldnt be a problem. I know it seems as though there are a lot of escapees, but you can guard against it. Making sure there is no gap where doors open and close that snake could slide through, any holes where cables come into viv need to be blocked up with blutack around cables. Things like that...and also being careful yourself of course.

Do as much research on corns as you can...This care sheet is really helpful (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133.

Hope this is helpful. Am sure others will add their opinions as well.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey.

cant imagine what having a parrot and corn together benefits anyone?

Corns natural prey isn't birds, they prefer rodents in the wild but if they can, will take baby birds. theyr'e opportunist hunters.

Corns wont escape if you take the precautionary steps i triple check my viv's.
No end of problems could occur if your parrot and corn interact, the parrot could fly away spooked, corn could bite it, or get ripped to shreds. I always not litterally (99.9% of the time ) kick my dog out of my bedroom when snakes need seeing to.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  00:31:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lots of help, thanks to all. It seems my worries are not so big as I feared.
After Christmas I think it will be time to save up for all the necessary snake gear!
One more question....can a baby snake go into a 3ft vivarium or do I have to start off really small and 'grow' enclosure with the snake? I've read lots of conflicting views on this while doing my research? Once again advice would be good!!!!!!!!

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  09:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, hatchie's can't go into a 3ft viv straight away.

Should go, a small faun, then largest faun, then 3ft viv. then general rule is legth of viv + width of viv = maxium length of snake.

BUT this means snakes can also be too small for a viv, resulting in stress. When you get your snake in faun's, make sure they have the neccesitaies, water bowl and such, but throw in a few toilet roll's to be sure he feels secure.

When he grows, dont re house him immediately, my blaze is slightly too big for his viv, but i'm growing him on a bit before he goes into a 3ft viv.

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  16:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have all of our animals in the same room, and a roaming cat. We don't think the snakes have even noticed the gecko or budgie!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  16:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a video of someone having rats in the same video as a python, and the python is trying to get to rats, say the rats are to left of his viv, he was in the left size, tounge going nuts.

Although the python was INCREDIBLY skinny and i left some constructive abuse, it can still happen. which could potentially cause a corn to be in feeding mode all the time, he may take your hand as a mousey!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  17:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"constructive abuse"
Love it!
LOL!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

24 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya! I wouldnt trust them to be out at the same time, not just for Peanuts sake. Parrots can do alot of damage with their beaks and claws so I would be worried for snakey too! Like the others said as long as you provide the correct enclosure and take necessary precautions its very unlikely that snakey would escape :) what morph are you thinking of getting?
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:44:04  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi again Herriot, if you want a cheap set up go to http://www.888reptiles.co.uk, I got my Corn Faunarium from them and it was really cheap, £59. I also bought Elijah from them, he is a 09 hatchling Carolina.
888's complete basic hatchling set up costs £56.94 and includes
Exo Terra Faunarium 18" x 12" x 7"
Komaodo 7w Heat Mat
Komodo Thermostat
1kg Aspen Bedding
2 x Exo Terra Hide Small
2 x Exo Terra Strip Thermometers
Exo Terra Water Dish Small

I made the following alterations;

- I removed one of the hides (I already had a small snake cave)
- I replaced the Strip Thermometers with an Exo Terra Digital Thermometer
- I upgraded the small water bowl to a medium water bowl

With those alterations it cost me £59.

Just to give Elijah somemore cover I bought an Exo Terra Silk fine and put that along the back wall of the faun and I also bought an Exo Terra Boston Fern, you can bend the branches into any position.
Delivery's from 888 are free for orders over £50. I had to have Elijah delivered at a weekend so that cost me £35. But all in all it was an excellent service.

Here's some pics of my setup

Edited by - LittleMick on 12/12/2009 22:44:51
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000