New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  18:43:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people,

I'm brand new to this and got my first snake about 2 weeks ago. The first feed i gave him was a fuzzy and just left it outside his hide for him. He eventually came out and ate it. However after reading up on corn snakes i get the impression its best to feed them outside of their vivarium, but at the same time its best not to handle them after a meal. So if i do feed him outside of it, how do i then get him back in?

Exactly what would any of you good people suggest????

Thanks

Carl

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  18:48:12  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
will be fine to pick up to put back in viv

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  18:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
take hi out of the viv and put him in a plastic tub. feed him in that and then let the food get down to the middle of his body. once at the middle of his body and he maybe starts to move raound and wants to find a hide either pick him and put him back in his viv or put the plastic tun in his viv and gently tip him out. i never fed outside the viv i just gave him it on his log but you can offer him it on a plate in the viv or do it the other way like i sed. and welcome to the corn snake world. some pics would be great

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  19:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I also think he's going to shred soon as his skin has become darker and his eyes have a sort of blueish grey tint to them at the moment.

Should this make any difference? I'm defrosting the fuzzy as i type this.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  19:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and pics will be on very soon. lol
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  20:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hhhhmmmmm,

not sure if i'm doing anything wrong here. Put him in a plastic container, let him settle down a bit, and brought the fuzzy in. Had a couple of sniffs and then went to the other side of the container and curled up. I've now just put him back in his vivarium and left it outside his hide.

Would the fact that i think he is about to shed have anything to do with it?

Carl
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

26 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  20:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never feed mine when I can see that he is going to shed, I generally just leave him alone and feed him the night after he has shed, by which time he is usually rather hungry! If your snake has refused the feed, I would personally wait until the shed has taken place, which could take anything upto another week judging on what you said about the colour and the eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  00:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do agree with what Prudence has said. If he is 'blue', which it sounds like he is, then he will be partly blind and feeling rather uncomfortable in his skin. Lots of snakes are different, and some will still feed during this stage, but I would suggest that because he is new and you want him as unstressed as possible, it would be best to leave him without feeding or handling until after he has shed. He will stay dull with his eyes milky and probably hide away for a few days and then it will look as though it has all cleared up and he has gone back to an almost normal colour. Approx 4-7 days after this he should shed.

Feeding him in the container while he was in this state also probably put him off.

Just wait and try again once he has shed, by then he should be hungry and should feed fine in the plastic container.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again, thanks for the advice guys. I left it outside his hide overnight and he still hasnt touched it. So i've taken it out and just gonna let him be for a few days.

Must admit he has stayed in his hide alot over the past few days so must be getting ready.

I'll keep an eye on him and keep you all posted and will get some pics on here once he's shed as probably dont want to pester him at this stage.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000