Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  21:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, two accounts today at school for being called 'wierd' not only by my friends but by teachers..

Once in geography, wer'e doing weather and I answered his question what measured humidity? How did you know that? Well, I've got a pet snake...

Ah right. People laughed and sniggered.. i was like WTF? In middle of lesson, yes..

Same again in biology, we were having a lesson on genetics, and dominant, recessive genes and the title was hetogrynos (sp?) and i said the plants likely to be red, because reds the dominate gene here, yet it can produce yellow offspring later on and it has the gene.
Bit of snakey knowledge that. Again, answered how i knew, and peopled laughed...

I wonder what it is about snakes that people find 'wierd'?..

I'm getting a bit tired of the remarks. I guess its just my age though..

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i get it a lot at work aswell..
most people who come into the office when im on the computer get a look at Little One who is my background and instantly think ew-venomous-10foot-long-thick-as-your-thigh-man-eating snake... Little One is 300gs and about 18inches long..
most of them have gotten used to it but some still freak out.. even though there is a royal python breeder and a snake crazy carpentry teacher (with 72 snakes!!) in the college aswell.. frustrating to say the least...

i guess its because they arent 'interactive' pets like dogs ect which people can take out and about.. my neighbours have chipmunks in a big arboreal type cage outside which although i do think they are cute i also think that is kinda wierd - at least the snakes can be handled and tamed

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:41:36  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just wait till you're older and you've been asked half a bazillion times: "is it poisonous? how big? can it eat you? what does it eat? ew mice.. etc etc"

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:14:47  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

just wait till you're older and you've been asked half a bazillion times: "is it poisonous? how big? can it eat you? what does it eat? ew mice.. etc etc"

You got that straight eeji, I mainly get curiosity questionns about my herps, fascination, probably the worst comments would be eew I couldn't keep one of them. I think some of them are bemused by some of the stories I come out with though. Like, the one cricket that escaped and ended up behind our fridge and my old dear nearly bought a new as she could hear this weird whistling noise and thought it was on the blink, lol.

BUT, it could be a money maker for though, lol, once I extend my collection of animals next year I have people asking if I will be charging entry fees to view them, lmao. I even told a fisherman he could fish my tropical tank for a small fee.

I have told many people though that just because they don't have fur doesn't mean they are not cute. But like Hannah said, it more that they are not as interactive.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 11/12/2009 23:17:00
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  23:43:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh my favourite was some kid;

'Have you stabbed it for me yet?'
'Do you whirl it round your head'

And the irony is he lives on a farm

'Have you slaughtered your cows for me yet?'
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  02:50:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

I may have scared a policeman in the past with Trio, just because he was a king snake. The king snakes seem to have the thing with that as well because everyone seems to associate king snakes as being venomous.

Can't wait until the MBK can do something similar, they just look dangerous the non-snakey people.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  05:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess cos I am so old I dont get too bad comments to my face, but I dont know what is said behind my back! Also think most friends understand it cos I am home all the time so it is more company for me!

What made me laugh was when my son was dropped home from school early, as he wasnt well, by a friend. I find her quite scarey and she has been a missionary in other countries and is seen as a very strong fearless person. I had Kellog out but he had settled into my hood, so when I went to say thank you I was walking a bit lopsided, cos I didnt want him to fall out. I thanked her and explained why I was standing so awkwardly...she couldnt even see Kellog....I have never seen anyone move off my front step and down the path so fast! Doubt she will enter my house again!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  06:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plenty of people recoil and think I'm a bit wierd for having a snake and a dragon - I think it's cool to be a little bit different! It's also great being able to talk to people about my pets. Most people simply have no knowledge of them and we can pass on some of our info and educate them - maybe even get them around to visit. Once you've held a corn you got the bug!!

Hillzi I think it's fab that you have learned so much from keeping a pet, information that you can transfer into different subjects. You're obviously a very intelligent young person and those who were so impolite probably felt threatened or even envious about the knowledge you have gained. We love you.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  07:52:25  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
DW Hilzi. At my old work I used to be called "Crazy Snake Lady" etc by my collegues, but then I found out that one of them was so scared he coulnd't even look at a photo of lil ol' Tartan. So after a while I helped him get over it an after a year he was holding her :)

What people can't seem to comprehend is that I have a lizard (which I still get told is wierd) and I love snakes, but I am scared ******* of spiders, and people don't seem to get that. It's usually "Oh. how can you love snakes but hate spiders. I think snakes are much scarier."

I'd rather be confronted by something with no legs than something with 8 legs thank you...

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  09:12:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i know wat it is like at school. everyone finds you wierd for having an exotic pet. i just say i would rather have a snake that a littl ehamster or gerbal or even a fish. at least my parents let me have one. that always work. the question i get are, will it kill you, how big is it. wat does it eat. eww, mice. then wen i tell them how big it is they go, ow. its tiny. thats boring.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  10:55:39  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im lucky tbh most of my friends love snakes and are always round looking at them
Go to Top of Page

Brookestar
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2361 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:06:54  Show Profile  Click to see Brookestar's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im lucky tbh most of my friends love snakes and are always round looking at them
Go to Top of Page

CAL
Hatchling

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  11:29:54  Show Profile  Visit CAL's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't get a lot of stick for it - just a lot of innuendo, but there again everything generates innuendo in the steelworks.

I did once teach an Oxygen Administration at home and the student was a huge (like 6ft 4" and 17 stone)fitter - scared of no one, but doesn't like snakes. We agreed that if he concentrated on the course and passed the snake wouldn't come out. Needless to say he passed with flying colours, I've never had a student concentrate as much before.

The quickest someone has every exited our house was a Salvation Army collector who walked around the back and the first thing she saw was a pair of boots swinging 6" off the ground. I had hung my drysuit up to dry it - but she thought someone had hung themselves...

0.0.1 Cornsnake: Monty, 10 years old, 5ft 3".
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  14:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillzi- its just peoples ignorance!
Ignore them all and be Happy Doing What You DO!!
My work colleagues are actually interested in Slinky-T-F-B and ask after her every morning- wanting to know when the next feeding day is? Has she shed yet? Has she grown overnight? My Supervisor has also asked if she can her children round to handle her when she is older!
:)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:25:16  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CAL

I don't get a lot of stick for it - just a lot of innuendo, but there again everything generates innuendo in the steelworks.

I did once teach an Oxygen Administration at home and the student was a huge (like 6ft 4" and 17 stone)fitter - scared of no one, but doesn't like snakes. We agreed that if he concentrated on the course and passed the snake wouldn't come out. Needless to say he passed with flying colours, I've never had a student concentrate as much before.

The quickest someone has every exited our house was a Salvation Army collector who walked around the back and the first thing she saw was a pair of boots swinging 6" off the ground. I had hung my drysuit up to dry it - but she thought someone had hung themselves...

i must get myself a dry suit!

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  22:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think I get picked on, but that might be because I've always been a weirdo anyway, so they expect me to have a exotic pet like a snake anyway.

It's the toad keeping that gets the most funny looks.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  00:16:06  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I don't think I get picked on, but that might be because I've always been a weirdo anyway, so they expect me to have a exotic pet like a snake anyway.

It's the toad keeping that gets the most funny looks.

As much as I love all animals a toad never appealled to me, one of the reasons I bought all my pets was for behavioural studies and Phibs don't seem to do anything, but then again I don't suppoes I have spent long enough time watching.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 13/12/2009 00:16:48
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  09:52:08  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You must be joking - my phibs are always doing something and they are great to watch. You should get some salamanders - hours of fun

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  10:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I LOVE Toads!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  11:28:42  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lol my main midwife is scared of ginger, the other one loves her asks me to get her out so she can see her. The most i've been asked is "How can you stand touching those, aren't they slimey"

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

32 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  12:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think just letting people know a little bit about them is always the way to win them over.

My sister is terrified of anything that isn't "cute and cuddly" my eldest neice is much the same but my youngest neice is so curious she couldn't wait to hold my leopard gecko. When asked what the eldest was scared of4 she said "it's gonna eat me!" to which I replied, "it can't eat you, it's to small and has no teeth" after about 5 minutes of watching her little sister giggling as he stumbled through her hands she 0realised she was missing out.

Since that incident my tact has been blunt, but I don't see how people can laugh at you for having snakes... I would just give a very quick and blunt responce. Try to turn things on them, like the post earlier by Hillzi.

0.1.0 Anary Corn snake
0.1.0 Cremsicle Corn snake
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 African Pygmy Hedgehog
0.1.0 German Shepard
0.1.0 Welsh Border Colly
0.0.16 Great Crested Newts
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic