Common diseases in snakes - Cornsnakes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  20:46:19  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
Sourced from http://www.qondio.com/common-diseases-in-snakes

Corn snakes can be subject to the same diseases and disorders as many other types of snake.
External parasitesMites Ticks

Digestive disorders Bacterial overgrowth in the intestinal tract Internal parasites

Skin conditions Burns Mouth Rot ( Stomatitis)

Respiratory Infections

Egg binding

***edited by GP to keep key words for a search***

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.

Edited by - gingerpony on 19/12/2009 21:27:38

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  20:47:55  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
Admin / Mods : Can you please sticky this.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  20:51:02  Show Profile
wow! well done, lots of effort and brain racking gone into this.

My congratulations to you Ash!!

Or, if all the above fails, see the vet.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  20:53:26  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Or, if all the above fails, see the vet.

Thanks Tom.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  20:57:11  Show Profile
wow!

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  21:59:05  Show Profile
No probs mate! I aint gonna lie. but thats pretty spiffing laddy!
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:21:59  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:

Yup i think the admin / mods should sticky it and if they need to add more info in to it that I have missed then they should.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:28:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
stickied!!good post

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  22:38:50  Show Profile
nice post, loads of really good info

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  08:39:50  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://www.qondio.com/common-diseases-in-snakes

By Hellan Bach of Herpuniverse.com/forum

Yes, Hellan did a great job, if you're going to steal stuff from the internet you really ought to at least thank the author.

Please think about the future of the forum and the owners when posting.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  09:37:38  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

http://www.qondio.com/common-diseases-in-snakes

By Hellan Bach of Herpuniverse.com/forum

Yes, Hellan did a great job, if you're going to steal stuff from the internet you really ought to at least thank the author.

Please think about the future of the forum and the owners when posting.

I did mine at college ....

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  12:06:58  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
its exactly the same word for word,was it a copy and paste

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  12:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Sorry Hyper - I've had to un-sticky this post for copyright reasons.

Don't want Hellen Bach to take us to court over it. Great info though, so not deleting it. Just need to give the original author credit.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  14:57:08  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

Not my fault the teachers at college dont tell us where it was from ? I wrote all this down in my paper book. And we had a test on this for 3weeks we had to revise alot of things and now i get called a fake in other words !!

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  15:00:00  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Sorry Hyper - I've had to un-sticky this post for copyright reasons.

Don't want Hellen Bach to take us to court over it. Great info though, so not deleting it. Just need to give the original author credit.

Sorry but i didn't know it was copyed from this, Our college teacher should have said it was some ones topic instead of misleading the whole group im and speachless , I understand you have to take it off sticky i just looked at the link BE posted and i see it same words .

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  18:35:22  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

Not my fault the teachers at college dont tell us where it was from ? I wrote all this down in my paper book. And we had a test on this for 3weeks we had to revise alot of things and now i get called a fake in other words !!

Im sorry hiper but this was copied and pasted because it has the same 2 spelling mistakes as the original one,so just take it on the chin that you were caught out and take it as a lesson learnt .
quote:

Corn snakes can be subject to the same diseases and disorders as many other types of snake. Generally corns are make quite hardy snakes, with captive bred (as the majority are) seem to be hardier still.This article will outline some of the more common diseases and disorders along with some basic treatments. The advise of a vet should be sought for any problem that doesnt respond to basic treatment. If in doubt, go to the vet!!
It is best to isolate a snake with any kind of problem to avoid passing on a problem to the rest of your healthy snakes, and to cut stress on the affected snake.Setting them up in a r.u.b or similar tub will have advantages (they are easier to keep sterile for instance) and make sure you offer plenty of hiding places accros the heat gradient.Set the box up in a quiet place, and keep handling to a minimum.

External parasites

Mites

Mites are tiny, pin head sized arachnids that feed on the blood of a snake. They can often be noticed bulging from the skin of the snake,or crawling over the snakes body. They can also be found in the water dish, often looking like tiny black specks of dust.The most common type found in captive specimens are black mites ( Ophionyssus natricis )these mites multiply at a rapid rate and can spread through an entire collection quite quickly. They can cause lethargy in snakes, dehydration and anemia if they in sufficient numbers.
To check if your snake has mites, look in the water bowl for any dead ones, or let your snake crawl through your tightly clodes hands, so that it rubs its whole body length against you hand. Doing this will dislodge some mites and they will be present on your fingers. Also check around the snakes head, paying attention to the eyes, chin and the top of the head. ( don't worry snake mites are harmless to humans!!) Doing this over a sink will enable you to wash any mites found away immediatly and give your snake a wash over to start removing them straight away.
One old and easy method of removing mites is to place the snake in a box filled with water which is higher than the snakes girth and left (under observation) with the lid on for 10 minute periods ( the lid should still be perforated to allow air flow) adding a few drops of liquid soap to the water will aid in the removal of mites. This however does have drawbacks, a few of the mites will most likely migrate up the snake onto its head in an attempt to survive, these will have to be manually removed by rubbing with a damp cloth. Another old method involves coating the snake in vegetable oil for an hour or so before rinsing off as it is said to suffocate the mites, quite a messy job and probably not the preferred method!!! These methods will probably not kill all mites on the first go and you may have to trat the snake a number of times before all mites are removes sucessfully.

Edited by - lee2308 on 12/12/2009 18:55:21
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  19:26:10  Show Profile
It's still a great post, you should've covered it up at least.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  19:46:40  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address
quote:

quote:

quote:

Im sorry hiper but this was copied and pasted because it has the same 2 spelling mistakes as the original one,so just take it on the chin that you were caught out and take it as a lesson learnt .
quote:

Corn snakes can be subject to the same diseases and disorders as many other types of snake. Generally corns are make quite hardy snakes, with captive bred (as the majority are) seem to be hardier still.This article will outline some of the more common diseases and disorders along with some basic treatments. The advise of a vet should be sought for any problem that doesnt respond to basic treatment. If in doubt, go to the vet!!
It is best to isolate a snake with any kind of problem to avoid passing on a problem to the rest of your healthy snakes, and to cut stress on the affected snake.Setting them up in a r.u.b or similar tub will have advantages (they are easier to keep sterile for instance) and make sure you offer plenty of hiding places accros the heat gradient.Set the box up in a quiet place, and keep handling to a minimum.

External parasites

Mites

Mites are tiny, pin head sized arachnids that feed on the blood of a snake. They can often be noticed bulging from the skin of the snake,or crawling over the snakes body. They can also be found in the water dish, often looking like tiny black specks of dust.The most common type found in captive specimens are black mites ( Ophionyssus natricis )these mites multiply at a rapid rate and can spread through an entire collection quite quickly. They can cause lethargy in snakes, dehydration and anemia if they in sufficient numbers.
To check if your snake has mites, look in the water bowl for any dead ones, or let your snake crawl through your tightly clodes hands, so that it rubs its whole body length against you hand. Doing this will dislodge some mites and they will be present on your fingers. Also check around the snakes head, paying attention to the eyes, chin and the top of the head. ( don't worry snake mites are harmless to humans!!) Doing this over a sink will enable you to wash any mites found away immediatly and give your snake a wash over to start removing them straight away.
One old and easy method of removing mites is to place the snake in a box filled with water which is higher than the snakes girth and left (under observation) with the lid on for 10 minute periods ( the lid should still be perforated to allow air flow) adding a few drops of liquid soap to the water will aid in the removal of mites. This however does have drawbacks, a few of the mites will most likely migrate up the snake onto its head in an attempt to survive, these will have to be manually removed by rubbing with a damp cloth. Another old method involves coating the snake in vegetable oil for an hour or so before rinsing off as it is said to suffocate the mites, quite a messy job and probably not the preferred method!!! These methods will probably not kill all mites on the first go and you may have to trat the snake a number of times before all mites are removes sucessfully.

No the teachers gave us copys of sections on these and i copied it in my note book so i copied how ever it was spelt i dont care what you think but anyways its a good post thats all that matters !

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:18:31  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
ok we'll leave it at that.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2009 :  20:37:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:

quote:

Thanks Tom

quote:

quote:

Yup i think the admin / mods should sticky it and if they need to add more info in to it that I have missed then they should.

Give over, you have been accepting praise for it, you got caught and are trying to back out of it.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2009 :  00:34:00  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address
quote:

....I wrote all this down in my paper book.......

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 13/12/2009 00:34:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000