Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  08:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saturday finally came! Lol. Some of you know i was due to collect my first corn.

I saw one last week that i liked in the shop, a 25 week old amel, but this one had been sold.
I handled a couple and fell in love with a baby Snow Corn (unknown sex but ive decided she's a she, lol). She has been in the shop for 16 weeks and was approx. 6 weeks when brought in, so she is about 22 weeks old. She has fed 15 times in the 16 weeks, refused once and has shed roughly every 3 weeks.

She is about 14"-16" long.

I got her at 2pm Saturday with her set-up. The guy in the shop said they didnt have any thermostats in stock and insisted that i wouldnt need one as the mat had got a cut off point. Its an ultratherm 6.5 watt.

The faunarium is a Exo-Terra Medium breeding box 11" x 7".

I put the mat 1/3 under the faun roughly and i have put a thermometer in each end, one above the water bowl in cold end and one above hide in hot end. Cold is reading 20c and hot reading 22c. I am assuming its alot nearer 30c in the hide though, but i think im going to struggle to get much of a difference in temp reading over such a small space.

She was due her feed on saturday, and despite the 7 day rule the guy told me to settle her in her faun for a few hours and try her with a pinkie in the evening as it would do no harm.

I did this and she took it almost immediately, it took her about 5 mins to swallow it all. She then went into the hot end hide and has'nt come out since.

I changed water yesterday but apart from that she has been left alone.

I still havent seen her leave the hide, but this morning i found a small poo about the size of a 20p piece just outside the hot hide, so she has been out and about in the night.

My few Questions...

1)Should i get a stat tonight? Regardless of him saying its got a cut off point and i dont need one?

2)Does her length, age, size etc seem to tie in and sound about right?

3)Is it normal for her to be hinding away still after feed sat night? When should i expect to see her out and about?

4)Is there anything to worry about with them temps? Am i right in thinking its okay as over such a small space im not gonna see 20c and 30c?

5)How do i know when to move her on to fuzzies?

6)I havent seen her drink, is this anything to worry about?

7)She is currently being fed 1 x pinkie every 7 days, is this about right?

8)Will this 'breeding box' be okay for her untill shes about 12 months old? Its alot smaller than i was expecting.

Ive called her Stella by the way!

Thanks alot to all who helped last week,

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  10:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz_1989

My few Questions...

1)Should i get a stat tonight? Regardless of him saying its got a cut off point and i dont need one?
YES!

2)Does her length, age, size etc seem to tie in and sound about right?
Age is a tricky one, size of the snake is related to feeding and growth, so an underfed snake will be smaller than a well fed snake of the exact same age. What yoju have said seems ok though, and the fact that they have provided you with so much info is good.

3)Is it normal for her to be hinding away still after feed sat night? When should i expect to see her out and about?
You shouldn't have broken the Golden Rule (why did you?) but hey ho, its done now.
She will take about 2 days to digest her food, during which time she will hide from predators and stay warm to digest her dinner.

4)Is there anything to worry about with them temps? Am i right in thinking its okay as over such a small space im not gonna see 20c and 30c?
What have you got monitoring the temps? Are they digi therms or the plastic dial ones?
Its a bit odd that your warm end wont go above 22, that is far too cold. You really need to get your warm end temps up soon, especially seeing as she has just eaten. Then you can deal with any gradient issues, they shouldnt be too tricky to sort out. How much of the box is the mat under? Remember it should cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor.

5)How do i know when to move her on to fuzzies?
-Single pinks (2-3g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

6)I havent seen her drink, is this anything to worry about?
Corns are most active at night, and so you will probably see her drink very rarely.

7)She is currently being fed 1 x pinkie every 7 days, is this about right?
Pics of her would help, but it sounds that at her size she could maybe take 2?

8)Will this 'breeding box' be okay for her untill shes about 12 months old? Its alot smaller than i was expecting.
Post a pic. General rule is that the box/rub/faun/viv should have 1 long side and 1 short side equal to the length of the snake.

Ive called her Stella by the way!

Thanks alot to all who helped last week,

Gaz

Hope this helps, enjoy your new snake! x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replys to my questions, How can i post a pic? I have tried to post a pic but the URL was disabled?

I only fed on the saturday as the guy in the shop said it would do no harm, he said she hadnt fed for a week and if she was hungry she would take it fine, and she did.

The thermometers are the dial ones, exo-terra. The hot end temp is 22, but ive put my hand on the hide and its alot hotter than where the thermometer is. And under the faun on the hot side is quite warm to the touch.

Ive got a pic of her eating her pinkie so maybe you could tell if she needs 2 off that?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?pid=4635662&id=712646577

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try that link, its a link to facebook so might not work,

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To post a pic, upload images to photobucket and then paste the image code into your post.

The dial ones are absolute rubbish, digital thermometers are very good.

The temp shouldnt change depending where the hide is, and also, it shouldnt feel hot to you. Human body temp os higher than 30c, so heatmats should feel almost cool to people. It sounds like you may be cooking your snake.

If you hadn't of fed her on saturday, like we told you not to, then I would tell you to turn off the heatmat, as you didnt get a stat and your mat isnt regulated. Even though your dial therms read 22, the heat could get anywhere up to 50c easily. If (for some out-there reason) the therms are accurate then it is far too cold for your snake to digest the food.

So catch 22 really.

Can I ask how long you had the set-up up and running before the snake went in?

x

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she is too hot will she not move to the cold end before she cooks?

When i said about the temp in the hide, i meant that logically it would be warmer in the hide above the heat mat, that the thermometer which is towards the top of the faun, above the hide? As i cant get thermometer in the hide? Or is that what you do with digita ones?

I will get a thermostat straight after work. The guy in the shop assured me that the mat would not over heat and would not get to a dangerous temp. I expressed my concerns about requiring a stat and he didnt seem concerned at all. He said that i didnt even need a hide in the cold end, but i ignored this advice and got one anyway.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, the size in the picture looks ok, but I would suggest you weigh her (after the 7 days no handling) and then consult the feed chart.

Quick question, what type of shavings are those?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, I had only had the set up, up and running for about 1 hour before putting the snake in, i was told last week that this was not ideal but if i monitored the temps then it would be okay.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks, will weigh her as soon as i can handle her.

They are aspen shavings. I was told these were fine?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:27:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thermometer needs to be on the floor right on top of the heatmat, near the top is not good...

I have my stat probe and therm probe tied to each other on top of the substrate. I never get a different reading from underneath the hides.

As for moving, she is still digesting her food, and needs the heat to do that. Also, corns are at their most vulnerable when post-feed, so she may be feeling to shy to move.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah aspen is ok, just looks alot like pine or cedar, hence the question! Although for a hatchling or new arrival I would recommend kitchen towel for a few weeks.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay thanks for the quick replys. Will alter thermometers and get stat set up tonight.

Are the stats adjustable? What should it be set to?

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stats are a pain, unfortunately you cant really trust the dials on them. You will need to set it up with the help of your digital thermometers to tell you the correct temp. they sometimes require alot of fiddling about to get things spot on. Basically, set it all up, set the dial to somewhere in the region of 27-29c and then just watch the therm readout to see what needs altering.

Make sure you get some digital therms too, I cant stress enough how bad the dial ones are.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Edited by - SexyBear77 on 23/11/2009 11:35:01
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay cheers, Will do this tonight.

Do most pet shops say that you dont need stats? Are they not in the wrong selling mats without stats and saying that it will be fine?

His words were that a stat was a waste of time and that everyone uses this mat with a faun, just put it 1/3 under and it will be fine.

Thanks again

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:36:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also will any mat stat be okay? Or do they have to be matched to the mat?

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many pet shops tell you that, because they want you to buy the snake and the very basics for it, without getting scared off by the price (mat+stat= £40 ish + snake= £80 plus) etc etc.

And yes they are wrong, but its just sods law. A stat is only a waste of time if you are intent on barbecuing your new pet!

I have 2 exo-terra Habistats and a Microclimate ministat 100, they are pretty much the same, and attached to a variety of mat sizes and wattage.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  11:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, im pretty disappointed with what they told me. I told them that money was not a problem when i was asking about different things.

Will get this sorted tonight anyway.

Thanks alot.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  13:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone got experience with the Thermo Control 2 Digital Thermostat?

This is the only one that 'pets at home' have got in stock. I am trying to find somewhere i can go straight after work you see.

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  08:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night i got a digital thermometer and a digital thermostat for the faun.

I set the stat up, put the probe inside the hot end hide, in the substrate. Got it set to 29c, and its reading between 28.2c and 28.8c. I put the digital thermometer in there to verify the stat was accurate and they were pretty much spot on.

So i have now got the digital thermometer in the cold end reading 22c.

So temps are 22 - 29.

Last night was the first night shes been out since i had her, she was all over the place, and i saw her have a drink! She isnt shy about coming out at all, but when i put my hand in and was placing the probe in the hot hide she was really skittish!

What can i expect when i try to handle her for the first time? Will she be crazy and try to get away? What do you do if she is like this? Will it stress her more being handled for the first time?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2009 :  11:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone?