help needed please.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  17:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed that my pewter has shed but he seems to have lost the tip of his tail it is a brown colour and it is hard. what do i do should i take him to the vets.

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  18:03:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi snakecharmer... It would be good if you could get a piccie up of the tail

Is it the end of his tail that is brown and hard, or the end of the shed?

Have a good look at the tip of his tail and see if it is showing any sign of damage? If it is, then it would probably be a good idea to get him off whatever bedding you have in presently and put him on kitchen roll.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come on later and may be able to provide you with more idea's, but it would be helpful if you could expand a little on his condition, including age and any previous health info etc.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  18:50:45  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If it is due to shedding, you may want to bath him in warm water and then let him slide througha towel to get the the excess shed off :) good luck

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

13 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  20:24:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mark is on his tail He is 6 months old the bloke i got him from said he got stuck under his water bowl a few months ago. He only has newspaper and a small amount of aspen in his hide.He has shed 3 times in the last 5 weeks.Can it cause him any pain.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  20:43:57  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
3 times in 5 weeks?

That could be a sign of another problem, mites perhaps?

The tip of the tail is most likely to be down to an incomplete shed and necrosis has set in, eventually it will fall off. In future, check all sheds are complete.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  01:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shedding 3 times in 5 weeks would certainly concern me. Can you get a few pics of him up as soon as possible so the more experienced owners can look and try and help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  12:11:07  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the frequent shedding could just be down to the necrotic tail tip...
which in turn is down to poor husbandry over a longer period of time

it will drop off soon...usually with a shed. when he's in blue give him a damp hide to try make it easier for him. when it does come off he'll likely have a sore bit which could do with some Tamodine/Vetadine dabbing on once of twice a day for a couple of days or until it doesn't look sore. during this time substrate should be paper/kitchen roll only and the enclosure kept scrupulously clean to help prevent infection.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000