snakes turning black
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  16:01:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my bro was looking after my snake for a bit and i have just got him out and his tai turning black this one has always had shedding difficulties

please help

x

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]

sexychef
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  16:05:13  Show Profile  Click to see sexychef's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
how much is turnint black?

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  19:41:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like the blood supply has been cut off after a bad shed- does he get grumpy when you touch it? (Eg: does he still have feeling?)

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2009 :  03:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long did your brother have him and did he shed in that time?

A photo would be the easiest way for those who know about this sort of thing to help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2009 :  21:24:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Urg, sounds like retained shed could be cutting off the blood supply, Photos would be great but for now have a good look at the tail and see if there is any shed still there.

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2009 :  23:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its just the end of it but i have just looked and it has a load of layers right of unshedded skin at the end what do i do to get it off anddont think he can feel it

thanks for your help :) ill try get a pic

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  00:05:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to try and soak the layers of shed off with warmish water and cotten wool, go really gently, don't pull at the tail. To be honest it sound like it has got quite bad and the end of the tail has died. If this is the case then it may well dry up and drop off. How long is the affected area???

It may be a good idea to remove any substrate that is in the viv and keep the snake on paper to reduce the risk of infection?

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  00:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have done that all that is in there at the moment is newspaper and a bowel and i dont know how long it has been there right at the end is black and then above that there is loads of leyers of shed and its like it is squeezing the tail cuz it has an indent will the tail grow back

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  09:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't grow but should heal up OK.

When you say all thats on there is newspaper and a bowl does this mean that the snake has no hides?? this is really important, even if it's just some loo roll middles, cardboard boxes or plastic tubs. Your snake should have a hide at each end of the viv.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  15:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i bathed him in warm water and the tail is fine now the black was on the unshedded skin it come of the blak did i so relived

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2009 :  16:30:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really glad to hear that babette... just keep a close eye on it now. It may help with his shedding if in future, when he goes into blue, you put a damp hide box in with some damp sphagnum moss or similar in for him.

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk

Edited by - Jennet on 20/11/2009 16:30:44
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2009 :  01:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a real relief to hear babette, I was worried the tail itself had been damaged. As Jennet has suggested, when he goes blue next time put a damp hide box in with some damp sphagnum moss or similar in for him. You can also move his waterbowl nearer to the hot side to increase the humidity. I also mist Kellog's viv a few times while he is blue, just a couple of squirts in the morning...again just to help raise the humidity slightly.

What is even more important is that when he does shed you must check the shed is clean - that there is no retained shed over his eyes and on the end of his tail...it is a lot easier to remove a retained tail tip at shed time than have what has happened already and have it build up.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000