Any ideas???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  20:58:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you may know I have one corn snake (escaped at the moment, but looking and hoping he will turn up every day). I am thinking about getting either a new snake or a lizard of some sort for christmas. Can anyone recommend a lizard suitable for owning for the first time?

James

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:26:24  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi James.
Sorry to hear your corn has escaped, I hope he turns up soon

The two most common 'starter' lizards have got to be Bearded Dragons and Leopard Geckos.
IMO Beardies are a lot more enjoyable to own. They're diurnal, so active during the day, they're active and have great personalities. Though the set up will cost a fair amount more than that of a Leopard Gecko. They require the UV lights and a basking light where as the Leos only really need a heat mat (not forgetting the thermostats)
Beardies will also cost more to feed, they're greedy little sods
If money is an issue then a leopard gecko may be a better option. Smaller set up, less heating/lighting and less food.
Athough Leos are nocturnal so your most likely to see them about during the night.

A few others for you to think about are:
Crested Geckos - No lighting or heating required. Dont have to be fed on insects. And generally good lizards to keep. Though they are slightly more delicate.
Blue Tongue Skink - Like the beardie, They eat allot! And need quite a large set up. Though they have amazing personalities

Hope this has given you some ideas

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:34:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, I've been looking at leopard geckos but not thought about bearded dragons. Will go and look at them now. Have been fascinated with Blue Tongued Skinks for a while, but these are a little bit too expensive at the moment, not sure Santa will stretch to that lol!!!

James
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:58:27  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Get a beardie, they're superb.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  19:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go Rankins Dragon. All the fun of a Beardie - just smaller and cheaper to feed. See this thread for info I posted on my little guy (sorry, my daughter's little guy)

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6683

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000