A ? about Exo Terra Sand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  21:20:05  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, when I was at a store the other day I spotted some Exo Terra sand, does anyone know if this contains Calcium? I looked at the pack and on their website and couldn't find any info as to whether it does or not.

I'm considering changing the substrate for my Leopard Gecko Elle, now I've read up on the risks of impaction and decided to go with reptile carpet. But it looks so unatural although it is really to maintain than a particulated substrate. So I was considering either Aspen as with my Corn, or sand, now despite the risks of impaction I have heard some people say they use sand, some say it's ok when they are older and I have heard mention of play sand?

Regards
Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  23:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as i am aware sand is not a great substrate, i seem to remember a dark side thread that mentioned that even calcium sand caused impaction and was not good for lizards.

From research i have done into lizards it seems that slate is the flooring of choice for many keepers.

Edited by - n/a on 03/11/2009 23:19:57
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  02:42:24  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have used sand in the past, and probably will again. But i wont use calci-sand because of the calcium.
To much risk the lizards will like the taste, then just eat it. (IMO)

I used the play sand from Argos, think it was about a fiver for a 10kg bag or something like that.
I just made sure I put the greens for the lizards in a nice deepish dish, I used a pyrex lid, along with any food that couldn't escape.
Any food that could escape from the dish (crix etc) I used to feed them seperately. In fact I still do feed seperately. It also helps me monitor to make sure they're both eating properly as one is a rapid eater, the other eats slowly.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  06:48:31  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The substrate I use for my Bosc is 25% playsand. From what I have read (when using sand as a substrate for lizards) the risk of impaction is minimal as long as you provide all of the minerals the rep requires. As for the cornsnake, I would go for aspen. I use it with all of my snakes and have yet to encounter any problems .

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:28:13  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well after watching Elijah for the day seeing him burrow in the Aspen in his faun, I will def keep him on that. It will be great when he is in a viv when he is bigger. I'llbe able to have agood depth on it.

Elle, my Leo, this will be a toughy, she ges her minerals ok, I have a bottle top with calcium in it, all feeders get dusted with calcium or vitamins. The slate sounds good though, isn't it expensive though? I think a nice combo of mainly slate and then abit of sand, mind you though it sound s apain in the butt to clean out though, I already fill p the rubbish bags with all my pet rubbish once a month, lol.

I checked out the play sand on Argos, £2.99 for 15kg, so that sounds a bargain.

On the whole though, carpet tiles are so easy to maintain, just keep a couple spare, swap them over once a month, job done. I take it the same principle would apply to slate? Keep a coule spare and swap them over?

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  08:17:22  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just to throw another option into the mix, what about large pebbles, rocks and sand/topsoil mix? When I had my Leos they had some of those big lumps of slate from garden centres with pebbles (way too big to fit in their mouths) scattered around the floor. I then spread a playsand/topsoil mix around in order to block some of the hiding places that the crix will undoubtedly find. It kept the gex busy trying to dig the crix out and stopped them getting bored.

The sterile topsoil is only about £4 for a mahoosive bag and the pebbles can be washed in the sink. The only thing you would be ditching when mucking out would be the sand/topsoil. We had some of the blue/green decorative pebbles in the viv. They looked pretty funky with the slate lumps, green plants and wood

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  14:09:44  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's something to think about, I don't suppose you have any images of that sort of set up have you?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  17:32:52  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'll have a dig around on the computer and see if I've still got them .

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  19:20:41  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nope. Sorry . Just checked on the computer and on Photobucket too. I must have deleted the pics when I was spring cleaning my files.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000