hiiiii!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  18:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Im new to all this! not just snake keeping but forums in general!!! Im thinking of getting a corn snake but so far only have a tank! I would greatly appreciate any advice on what to get and how to go about the best way to keep a snake and where to get everything I need!
cheers x

2 cats (Nala and Batfink)
tank of fish (no names)
1 other half (Mik)
4 kids (Keely, Connor, Kacie and Haydyn)
By the way Cananyone offer homes to baby mollys? Mine are breeding like no mans business!

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  18:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i havent got my snake yet but have found this forum very helpful

1 better half 1 rottweler (kaiser)
1 daughter
3 gold fish (james, lars, kirk.)
1 black moor fish (rob)
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  19:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome!

It's great to see that you're doing some research prior to getting a snake. There's an excellent care sheet on this site which should answer most of the questions you have. The link is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! No question is too silly when it comes to animal care!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  19:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  19:31:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  22:15:56  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Teejay, welcome to a great forum. As well as reading the care sheet, you may want to get a couple of books as well as back up research. But your main source of info is from live keepers in forums like this one.

A good place to buy (in my opinion) is

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/

There a lot of bargains out there, I think some people on here have used various stockists and breeders. But with 888, I got my Corn Snake set up for £59 and I also got my Carolina Corn from them (reluctantly) for £44.99, I am glad I did, as I have had no problems what so ever.

Good luck and happy researching.

Mick

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  01:20:53  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome to the forum.

xx

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  03:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome teejay! A forum is a wonderful way to chat with real snake owners, new and more experienced, and to get answers straight away if you need them. You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much snake care you have researched but I would advise the following:

1. Very early advise but important, when you get your snake you need to leave it for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let it settle into its new surroundings by leaving it without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way it gets used to your smell.

2. As already suggested by kizzig make sure you read the care sheet on here (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. When you do get your snake you need to get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog poos!!

5. Unwritten forum rule (bit early for you at the moment) - pics as soon as possible!

Am sure you cant wait to get your snake! But I will warn you that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You havent started down that path yet so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  15:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome,
as pointed out earlier a good place to start is the care sheet which has the basic info needed to keep snakey happy
feel free to ask any question - we dont bite so dont be shy

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000