Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  14:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all,
i'm getting a corn snake in 2-3 weeks, i've always wanted one since i was little and my auntie had one.
i was just wondering if you had any advice to offer me.
i do have one question how often do i clean out the vivarium

1 better half 1 rottweler (kaiser)
1 daughter
3 gold fish (james, lars, kirk.)
1 black moor fish (rob)

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  15:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and Welcome! Bet you're really looking forward to getting your snake!

The viv should be spot cleaned daily - checking for and removing any poo and flattening out the substrate. Also, any damp substrate round the water bowl should be removed and replaced.

The viv should be fully cleaned out with a reptile safe disinfectant (for example beapher bea clean) onc per month, and all furnishings should also be disinfected. The viv should be rinsed if necessary (the disinfectant bottle will state if rinsing is required) allowed to dry and refurnished with new substrate and cleaned decorations.

Feel free to ask anything - no question is too silly with regards to animal care!

You've joined a friendly bunch of people with differing experience levels, so there are plenty of people who will be able to help you out with any problems!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/

Edited by - kizzig on 02/11/2009 15:01:24
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  15:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the advice kizzig. my daughter is only 18 months old and loves snakes what sort of age do you think she would be safe handling a snake, she touched a royal python (her first scalie experience) yesterday and was really intreguged she poked her toungue out every time the snake did. but the python wasnt placed in her hands for her to feel it moving. im getting my snake as a baby.

1 daughter
1 black moor fish (rob)
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  15:42:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We think that you would possibly be better waiting until your daughter is a little older before letting her handle your snake, mainly for health reasons... Many reptiles carry salmonella, and thorough hand washing should be encouraged both prior to and following handling.

Some of the more experienced members may be able to help you out more on this side of things!

Kizzig

1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  19:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi and welcome to the forum

Please read the care sheet here:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

it's the best advice I can think of at this stage.

Feel free to ask anysnakeything.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  23:52:12  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kizzig

We think that you would possibly be better waiting until your daughter is a little older before letting her handle your snake, mainly for health reasons... Many reptiles carry salmonella, and thorough hand washing should be encouraged both prior to and following handling.

Some of the more experienced members may be able to help you out more on this side of things!

Also young children don't always know how to grip gently. It's very difficult for children, especially when a hatchling snake will be really wriggling then children will instinctively tighten their grip.

I have a few young kids around my snakes regularly (6 months old, one 18 month and a 5 and 6 year old) and yet the only ones I will let to actually hold the snake are the 5 and 6 year olds. They were both 4 before they held the snakes on their own, and the snakes were also older, slower ones as well.

Another reason is that a small bite from a snake to a baby, could really put the fear into the child, and a vast amount of nibbles/bites (IMO) happen with younger snakes or through complacency with older ones.

My 18 month has 'stroked' and touched the snakes, but as yet not held
them.

I did used to bring my snakes into the local schools once a fortnight for a show and tell kind of thing to the kids, and even then they'd have the gentle, highly supervised, touch if they wanted to but for the younger ones they wouldn't hold.

Yet the secondary school kids just used to get given the snakes to hold under small supervision, and I used to *evilly * tell them that if they got bitten then it was their fault for putting their body part into the snakes mouth.

As yet touches wood I've not had issue with children holding the snakes, but I also didn't let them hold them until I felt they were capable of safely holding it.

At the end of the day, everyone does things differently, and there is no real right or wrong age at when to handle snakes, it's owners choice.

But like I said, a 18 month old could easily squeeze a little to hard, and I doubt a hatchling would survive a strong grip in comparison to an adult/older snake.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  02:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Rottiedog! You have found a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. It is so encouraging that you are doing your research before you get your snake, too many people walk into a pet shop, walk out with a snake, get home and think 'OK, what do I do with this?!'. A few points that might help.

1. Hopefully you will already know the one week rule - leave your new snake for a week to get over the stress of the move and settle into itsnew surroundings, so no handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way it gets used to your smell.

2. As already mentioned, make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners.

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you get as much info on your snake as you can when you buy it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!

5. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

6. I think Kehhlyr answered your question about letting your little one handling the snake really well. Stroking, under control, is fine as long as you are careful with hygene (you know what little ones are like about putting their fingers in their mouths). I would certainly wait until your daughter is older and can understand more before letting her handle the snake....because of the reasons Kehhlyr mentioned. The last thing you want is for her to have a bad experience and become scared of the snake.

Am so glad you have finallty decided to treat yourself to a snake! But I will warn you - corns are addictive. And yes, majority of us have stood up, said hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! You have only just started down the path!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  10:06:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks everyone for your help another question i have is it best to microwave or let the feed defrost natrally at room tempreture over night

1 daughter
1 black moor fish (rob)
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  10:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of the members on here leave the food overnight to defrost, and I think a couple use the microwave. However, I'm not too sure how long the pinkies need to go in the microwave for (bet you don't want to be cleaning up exploded pinkie!)

We tend to use a cup of hot water to defrost and warm the pinkie, around 10 minutes is usually plenty. We put the pinkie in a small plastic sandwich bag to keep it dry and it makes it easier for checking it has defrosted. If you choose to go down this route, it's best to leave the pinkie to sit for a minute or so when removed from the hot water, as sometimes they get a little too warm for the snake to eat.

Kizzig

1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  12:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rottiedog007

thanks everyone for your help another question i have is it best to microwave or let the feed defrost natrally at room tempreture over night

Pinkie defrost: I take out of freezer and leave for over 2 hours at room temp. If needed, I put pinkie in sandwich bag and dip for a moment in warm water (not too warm to stick my fingers in). Then out of the bag and soon after into the snake .

Re babies handling hatchlings: I would advise against it for reasons stated already, and also because a young one would be more likely to just let go of snakey. Finding a lost hatchling (you wouldn't believe how quickly they can move once they sense freedom ) can be tricky, to say the least, and they are less likely to survive such an adventure than adult snakes.

Get the snake for yourself by all means, but please don't risk it in the hands of a too-young enthusiast.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  13:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks guys all your tips are very helpful
in the video on the care sheet it shows the snake being fed but the owner twitching the mouse is this a must do thing or do you just do this to show off!! or does it help with the natural striking insticnt so to do this every feed?

1 daughter
1 black moor fish (rob)
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  15:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
in the video on the care sheet it shows the snake being fed but the owner twitching the mouse is this a must do thing or do you just do this to show off!! or does it help with the natural striking insticnt so to do this every feed?

Wiggling the mouse helps with the natural strike instinct, but some snakes will eat without wiggling the food. It's best to try both ways and you can find out which your snake prefers.

Kizzig

1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  16:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Reptile-Snake-Water-Feeding-Bowl-Corner-Design-Medium_W0QQitemZ120481356652QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item1c0d3f9b6c

could anyone tell me if this water bowl is suitable for baby snakes if not what would be suitable?

1 daughter
1 black moor fish (rob)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  17:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Reptile-Snake-Water-Feeding-Bowl-Corner-Design-Medium_W0QQitemZ120481356652QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item1c0d3f9b6c

could anyone tell me if this water bowl is suitable for baby snakes if not what would be suitable?

Too large for a hatchling (baby snake). Do you have a jar of this at home? http://www.douwe-egberts.co.uk/SiteCollectionImages/Le%20Cafe%20Gold.jpg

If so, take the lid, separate the plastic part from the glass and get rid of the plastic. The glass part you are left with is your water bowl for the hatchling: it's heavy enough for the snake not to be able to turn it over, and large enough for a baby snake.

Re twitching the mouse in the vid: that vid is there for educational purposes, not for entertainment. Assume that what you see is intended to assist you in learning how to feed your own snake, but if in doubt, try a search in YouTube for clips that show feedings. No way to know if what you'll find will be reliable of course, but since they are in YouTube then possibly they are intended to show off.

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  18:11:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dish definately looks a bit too deep for a hatchling. The water bowl should be large enough for your snake to get into completely to aid in shedding, but still shallow enough that the snake can get in and out easily.

We're currently using the small Exo-Terra feeding dish as it's a decent size, but shallow. The standard Exo-Terra water dishes are too deep at the moment. Here is the link to the feeding dish - http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/feeding_dish.php

Kizzig

1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  18:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the 100g jar a good size lid to use because thats size i have in my kitchin and it seems to be a bit small for any thing and there seems to be an over-hanging lip and i thought that a small snake might get stuck in the lid and drown.

1 daughter
1 black moor fish (rob)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  18:19:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another option that is good for small snakes, and the one that i personally favour, is to use a Mason Cash pottery cat dish.

They are large enough for a snake to get in fully yet shallow enough to not cause a problem when the snake wants to get out. Plus you don't have to fill them all the way so drowning is not an issue. They are also heavy enough to not be tipped by the snake.

They are only a couple of quid from pets at home so are also cheaper than the over price Exo Terra stuff.

Edited by - n/a on 03/11/2009 18:20:23
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  22:24:20  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

12 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  17:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as young snake how often would it strike/bite at me when handling as my partner is worried that its going to hurt and would it draw blood if it does bite at all

1 daughter
1 black moor fish (rob)
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  17:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldnt advize microwaving i have tried this method only for 10 second and the mouse exploded and my did it stink n make a mess.
i defrost mine for a couple of hours then i either do as has been said b4 with the sandwich bag or i place in a tub on top of the radiator for 15 mins if they happen to be on.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  18:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our two strike while in the viv fairly often, but bite rarely. We've both been bitten, it doesn't really hurt when they're hatchlings.
Ziggy has drawn a little blood, including this morning... However, he's a little moody because he's in blue, so we'll let him off!
It's only a tiny stinging sensation and a small pin***** of blood when they're little, but will probably hurt if they bite when they're adults!

Kizzig

1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)

Edited by - kizzig on 07/11/2009 18:35:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000