Rocco has escaped!! we have cats!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  18:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is young and very small. What is the best way to catch him - FAST!!! We got a jack russell and 2 cats so we need to find her quick as she escaped in the living room. Also we have a1year old and a 2year old, so we need to catch her before the kids, dog and cats. Please help!!!!

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  18:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

First, look everywhere, paying attention to small spaces he can hide in, and warm spaces, including inside your computer if you have a standalone one -- he can easily slither in there!

If no joy, bottle traps, and leave water for him on the floor. Hopefully you'll find him in one of the bottle traps before long.

If you're sure he hasn't left the living room, keep the other animals out of there for the time being. I assume the kids are under supervision anyway, so if one of them came up with the snake you will hopefully be able to take it away before they get a chance to grip him.

Btw, how did he escape?

Link to how you make the bottle traps:

http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  21:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made bottle traps so hopefully we will catch her soon. We put her into a new viv and have no idea how she got out. Hope we get her quick. Thanks for showing me how to make the traps,I had no idea how to do it, so thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  10:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sarah strachan

Made bottle traps so hopefully we will catch her soon. We put her into a new viv and have no idea how she got out. Hope we get her quick. Thanks for showing me how to make the traps,I had no idea how to do it, so thanks so much!

you're welcome

I hope you find him soon, please let us know: when a snake goes missing we wonder if he's been found or not yet.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  10:37:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah, I am so sorry about Rocco.

Hawkeye has given you great advice on what you can do to try and find him. Dont leave a pinky in a bottle trap for more than 24hrs...throw it away. Wait a few days and then try again.

Try turning down all the heating in the house except for the room you think he is hopefully in. You could also put his heat mat on the floor, covered in a towel, in a corner or surrounded by pillows or with his hide on it....he will search for the extra heat. It means you should also check all the places in the house that emit heat (as Hawkeye said), like behind the tv, the fridge, any hot pipes or boilers etc. One member's snake was found by his grandfather when he picked a towel out of the airing cupboard.

You need to look high and low as they are amazing climbers, and look into places you dont think he could ever get to...any place he can squeeze his head into his body will follow. Another member found her snake in a box file on a shelf.

You need to put out a waterbowl as a snake can go a long time without food but needs water. It also means that you can see if the water level is dropping and therefore prove that he is in that room.

You can try sitting up through the night and put something like crunched up foil or wrapping paper around the edges of the room. This mean when the snake moves around it will probably keep close to the skirtings and you might hear the movement.

You can also try putting flour dusting in the doorway of the room you hope he is in and some other close rooms, because that way you can see any slither marks that will show if he is around and moving

Please dont give up hope. As you have gathered a few of our members have lost snakes, some have been found immediately and others have taken weeks to turn up. One even showed up a month later sliding in the back door looking very healthy (the owner had wondered why her frog population was dwindling!).

I am sure others will also offer more advice and help....you will find him!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  11:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear about rocco hope you find her soon. check plug sockets inside any papers etc drawers and cupboards.my dog found one of my hatchlings curled up on a plug adaptor the other hatchling was inside a book in the cabinet.remember if it is still small they curl up tiny and can be easily missed.also has your viv got sliding doors cause thats where mine escaped. good luck

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  13:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
check everywhere..dont just look low down look higher up aswell - they are good climbers when they try,
look in all nooks and crannies - the heatmat on the floor is a good idea,

fingers crossed for you

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

6 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  16:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
panic over we got rocko the wee beger wiz in the smallest hole in his brige sheding so thanks to all for all your help and think ill be a bit more vigilent next time ...........

terry moore
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  16:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad Rocco has turned up safe and sound!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  17:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Excellent. Good news. Thanks for the update.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  17:44:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh thats good news. Bet you're all relieved!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

42 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  21:04:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh I'm gad to here the happy news, I didn't have anything useful to add so I didn't post but I've been checking this thread regularly with my fingers crossed for a happy ending

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  04:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is such a relief! Was so worried about Rocco, especially with the cats, dog and added danger of kids! It is a lesson to all of us to double check our vivs and everything in them before we assume our snake has gone walkabout.

I am so pleased he is safe, but sorry you missed his shed!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  15:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so glad you found him!
you must be so relieved

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lucifer
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
780 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  16:21:53  Show Profile  Visit lucifer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you found Rocco safe and sound

5.2.0 Cornsnakes: Lucien (Amel), Zero Kiryu (Blizzard), Aura (Butter Stripe), Montana (Normal), Edison (Lavender Stripe), Liberty (Hypo Lavender), Orlando (Anery)
2.0.0 Royals: Q & Little One
Twitter: @BlutAura
DeviantART: BlutAura
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  17:48:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glad you found him, lesson to us all.

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey