Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting a corn snake off of my mums friend :)
The gender is unknown, and I believe it is a classic corn snake in morph, but this is just a guess, so I'd appreciate it if anyone had any other ideas as to its morph Its a bit over six foot in length, so its a bit of a handful the previous owner has had it for at least 6 years, he had it since it was about 2 foot long
without further ado, here are the pictures:

this is it on my brothers sleeve with his tounge out :) (Theres a little bit of retained shed on his neck)

face closeup on my boyfriends arm

My brother holding it round his neck, lol a his double chin-ness

I'd love to hear what you think! see you x

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, stunning corn!

Looks like someones done the research already what we like to see.

Welcome aboard.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
wow stunning snake!
will definately want to see more pics!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Tizzy
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1202 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the site, beautiful snake. It looks pretty huge for a corn 6ft would be record breaking is anyone else thinking it could be a Jungle corn?? ~(corn cross king)

3.2.0 corns 0.3.1 Leopard Geckos, 0.1.0 Mad Staffys 1.0.0 Moggie. 1.2.0. Devils in training.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  13:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome. Very nice corn, though to me it looks like a corn crossed with another ratsnake species.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  13:51:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum,that is a monster corn,i was going to say some sort of cross/hybrid.The head looks very wide and theres something i just cant put my finger on,very impressive looker though

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  21:19:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

initially i was thinking corn x rat but his head markings look corny and he looks like an Okeetee to me

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  22:29:46  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is an awsome snake, the colours are amazing.

Welcome to the forum

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  09:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Appleofmypie! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much snake care and advice you have been given by your friend but I would advise the following:

1. Leave your snake for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let him settle into his new surroundings by leaving him without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way he gets used to your smell.

2. Make sure you read the care sheet on here (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm), lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you get as much info from your friend on the snake when you take over him....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!

5. You have already complied with the unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! Well done! He is an absolute stunner. I am very new to corns, but must agree with the other comments...something doesnt look 100% corn to me, but not sure what it is!

Am so glad your friend has found a good home for his snake with you! But I will warn you that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have only just started down that path!!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 09/11/2009 10:10:59
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2009 :  21:38:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got him home now :) He is settling in very nicely, is lovely to be handled and has had his first meal with me recently :) the only bad part is not being able to handle him while hes digesting it! I just want to hold him all the time XD
Yeah, I did think it was unusual to have one this size as they usually grow 4-5ft, but hes 10 years old so I dont think he'll do more growing :) i guess he could be a hybrid but the markings and colours look extremely close to that of an okeetee or classic corn (give that his colours are more dull and faded with age) Maybe his granddad was a kingsnake? haha

Can you take snakes to the vet to get them sexed? if not where do you take them? How much would it cost?

Thank you for all the lovely comments :)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2009 :  21:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you have him home and he has settled in so well. I know what you mean about those 48hrs after a feed - fed Kellog yesterday and hate waiting until I can get him out again...I miss him! Out of curiousity what does he feed on and how often? Only asking cos Kellog is 4 yrs old, on a jumbo mouse every 10 days. Am interested at where he will go from there feeding wise.

He certainly is unusual, not just his size but something about his head - but to be honest it doesnt really matter, he is gorgeous!

As far as sexing him I am sure a vet who knew about reptiles could do it but it would definitely cost a lot. It would be better to find a good reptile shop and ask if you can get him done there, as long it is a shop you trust....must be someone who knows what they are doing. Has it just been assumed that he is a male?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  10:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you :) When i fed him the first time I fed him one adult mouse (after 12 days), and felt it wasn't really enough for him. But the previous owner came to visit me yesterday and said that he can take 2 or 3 mice at a feeding time, so i'm going to feed him two next time and see how it goes and how long it is before he's hungry again :) At the moment hes sleeping off the meal

I'm pretty sure the previous owner has never known the gender, especially because it was more of a rescue thing, but I wanted to find out because I do want to breed cornsnakes (maybe not soon but in the future definately) As you said, I'm getting addicted to cornsnakes! I'm thinking about getting another one already
By the way your Kellog looks gorgeous how big is he?
Go to Top of Page

Bilbo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
426 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  10:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Bilbo's Homepage  Click to see Bilbo's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
WOW that is one big stunning snake. cant wait untill my 3 are adults to see how they look. but loving them as they are at the moment.

2 male corns (Bilbo and roger)
1 female corn (lizzie)
2 dogs westies (jock & morag)
5 mirror carp
3 common carp
3 tench
5 gold fish
Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2009 :  12:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's stunning! All the best in his new home!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  04:46:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Appleofmypie

Thank you :) When i fed him the first time I fed him one adult mouse (after 12 days), and felt it wasn't really enough for him. But the previous owner came to visit me yesterday and said that he can take 2 or 3 mice at a feeding time, so i'm going to feed him two next time and see how it goes and how long it is before he's hungry again :) At the moment hes sleeping off the meal

I'm pretty sure the previous owner has never known the gender, especially because it was more of a rescue thing, but I wanted to find out because I do want to breed cornsnakes (maybe not soon but in the future definately) As you said, I'm getting addicted to cornsnakes! I'm thinking about getting another one already
By the way your Kellog looks gorgeous how big is he?

Thanks for your comment about Kellog - I agree of course, but then I am rather biased!

As far as I know he is 4yrs and 4 months old, and just over 4ft long, weighing approx 720g. He desperately needs to go up a viv size but unfortunately money is an issue at the moment - he has grown so much in the 6 months that we have had him. I will be interested to see how long he does get as I dont know at what age they stop growing.

I am not really sure where he goes with his next feeding level...being on 1 jumbo mouse every 10 days, and there is not much of a bump left when he has eaten it. Will wait for a few more feeds and see how his weight gain is and if he seems hungry after his feed...then take it from there.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  21:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I can't advise you on snakes growth first hand, seeing as Gary is the first one i've had and I haven't been through the growth process yet, but he seems to be growing healthily, no problems

Gary needs to go up a viv size too, his is currently 36x18x18, and I can just see it needs to be bigger XD I might get a new one for christmas but not sure yet I would let you have my old one but I don't know where you live or anything XD

I think you may need to upsize when you can't see much or any of a bump anymore, but i don't think it'll hurt to just use up the rest before you upsize
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2009 :  22:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Appleofmypie

Gary needs to go up a viv size too, his is currently 36x18x18, and I can just see it needs to be bigger XD I might get a new one for christmas but not sure yet I would let you have my old one but I don't know where you live or anything XD

Would certainly be interested in taking it off your hands! Am junction 8 off M25, but would be prepared to travel if viv right. Any pics??

xxx

Go to Top of Page

lmfastcars
Hatchling

United Kingdom
360 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2009 :  13:12:56  Show Profile  Click to see lmfastcars's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Beautiful snake. a very big one aswell. to me he looks as if he is an Okeetee corn, althouguh he is very big, so it could be crossed with another rat snake. The feeling of getting a corn snake is awesome and i know what you mean about wanting to hold him all the time =]

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2009 :  02:34:23  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey nice snake , looks like a corn to me from the head

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  19:31:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, sorry Kellog but I live really far away, so i don't think you'd be prepared to travel this far, I live all the way down in Worthing XD And thanks everyone for your lovely comments
Go to Top of Page

PunkAsF82
Yearling

United Kingdom
909 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  20:17:10  Show Profile  Visit PunkAsF82's Homepage  Click to see PunkAsF82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
omg that is a gorgeous snake! I WANT!!!!

I'll take it if yo ever decide you don't want

~~ My Zoo ~~
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon - Cooper
0.1.0 Amel corn - Lucky
0.1.0 Normal Leopard Gecko - Layla
1.1.0 Cats - Zelda the Maine Coon & Link the Ragdoll X Tabby
0.0.50 Malawi Cichlids
0.0.20 Community fish tank

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic