Snake Security and Handling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  19:16:18  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, as it will be Elijah's full week tomorrow, so I was going to see how he was and if he sems ok I was going to handle him for a few mins, now, if he is in his hide and doesn't come out should I gently force the issue? His hide is exactly that, so if I invade his privacy then he may never feel secure in there.

I was hoping he is going to be out and about anyway, in which case I would leave the faun hatch open, keeping watch obviously then grab the little sucker as soon as he ventures out the faun, lol. Obviously joking there, but yeah open the hatch so he can explore at his own will, but I wasn't joking about watching him.

If the case is... he is in his hide and I SHOULDN'T disturb him then this poses the question as to what to do with him when it's feed time or clean out time. Should I just leave him in his hide and remove the whole thing?

Regards

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  00:03:33  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would take his hide out and then calmly pick him up and he will be fine and then you can put his hide back in same place once snakey is in your hand its ok , Also when his viv needs a clean out i would take him out of the viv and pop him in a spare tub/box with tiny holes in it so you can then clean with out stressing the snakey out.

When it comes to feeding and if he is in the viv just lift up the hide and if you feed him in the viv then feed him as normal, If he feeds out of the viv then just take hide away and lift him up and pop him where ever you feed him.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  03:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to be like you....not wanting to intrude on Kellog's safe place. But then we had a 'mite's incident' and Kellog went into hiding after that, never coming out of his hide. I finally took Hiper's advice and started carefully taking him out of his hide, doing it very slowly to give him warning when I lifted the hide, then grabbing him and returning the hide. It made a real difference, getting him out and handling him again felt so good and think it must have stimulated him cos he started coming out of his hide again and behaving normally. Now I always lift off his hide and take him out, no problems.

As for when you first handle him....if he is out and about it would be interesting to see if he came out of the faun of his own accord....or at least stuck his head out showing interest...but with you sitting next to it so he knows you are there. Let us know how it goes.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  13:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I found it easier to clean out the viv on a feeding day as i feed outside the viv the snakes got theyre meal while i cleaned out the viv

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Rik
Hatchling

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  22:07:14  Show Profile  Click to see Rik's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just been through this with my baby today. I moved the hide slowly and little Khan was really good. Snakey has to realise that being handled is fine. If you never moved the hide you'd never get to handle snakey. After the first time little Khan doesnt dash to his hide when I put my hand in now. Think he has realised its its best chance of escape

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  02:42:10  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pointers. I sat there and opened the hatch while he was out and about but he didn't venture out, seems to stick to the edge of the faun, so what I will try tomorrow/today is take the whole top off it, then when he goes up the sides he come across a big hole, lol.

And if he isn't courageious enough to come out I will put my hand in and let him have asniff and see he comes over my hand.

Thanks
Mick

Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yay you got your corn!! (sorry its so late - been away so catching up atm!)
he probably will dart away from you for the first few attempts at handling - edison still tries everything he can to get away from me! dont be afraid to lift a hide, i usually lift my hides - if i didnt i wouldnt see them at all - they always go back to them after though

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  21:58:59  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Hannah, yep, I got him.

Well I handled him today, I wanted to weigh him anayway. So I took his hide out and put it on my desk, removed the lid, he was really cautious, I sat there for a abit to see if he would come out and no joy. So I ,oved my fingers around the rim of the hide and ENCOURAGED his courage, lol. He eventually came out and into my hand, I had to be careful as he was really figgety, I put him in to weigh him and he weighs 6g. The I guided him back into his hide and put it back into the faun.
All in all a good first handling session.
I put some moer images of him in the photo section.

Mick

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  10:41:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done LittleMick, sounds like a perfect first handling...you gave him time to get used to you being there and then managed to handle him for a short period before returning him. You will slowly be able to lengthen the time you can handle him as he gets used to it and he will also get used to being picked up by you. You have done really well.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000