New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cheekygit
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  14:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi...not been on here for AGES, kelloggs is about 8 months old now, grown to around 27" as fat as an average forefinger and eating fuzzies, 1 a week i may add... although hes skittish when 1st picked up, he handles great, placid, calm, serene and damn nosey (almost think he's female)

Q1, is it normal for corns to be a little skittish when you go to pick them up and while handling he seems a bit jerky in his movements, but he does slither round, over and through my hands nicely.

Q2, i would personally like another corn. but my feelings to one side, how feasible is it, i know if i get a young female, then kelloggs will want to mate too soon or too often (male thing i think) and if i get another male around same age, theres a chance they could fight or stress each other (male macho thing too )... but pet shops store numbers in same viv and am sure other ppl do too....so wots the best way to have a pair together?

long winded as per...so apols, but one never knows nowt without asking

,Same snake 2yrs apart :)

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  15:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear Kellog is doing so well!

In answer to your questions-
1. Perfectly normal. As corns get older they will keep on becoming calmer, with regular gentle handling etc. Just keep on with how you have been and things should only get better!
2. I wouldn't co-habit. At Kellog's age he is too small and too young to have a female in with him, and it is never a good idea to have a breeding pair in together all the time. Corns living together are more likely to suffer from stress unless very carefully controlled, as snakes are solitary animals. It would be like having to live with someone you really didnt like! It would be much easier and safer to just set-up another viv. If you do decide to cohabit you will need to provide plenty of hides set up in a similar manner as snakes will compete for the best one. You will also need to have provisions to separate them pronto should there be problems.

read this thread, explains a lot.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

cheekygit
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  15:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SexyBear77...thanx for that advice...kinda knew answer but seeing loads in pet shops that are housed together does tend to confuse the mind... grown attached to little kelloggs now so i'll spoil him as an only pet

,Same snake 2yrs apart :)
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  18:26:20  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the only "safe-ish" way to cohabitate corns is two adult females and even this can't be guaranteed, so the ultimate safest way is to house them seperately.

Pet shops do it for a number of possible reasons:
1. "its only temporary"
2. "we don't have enough room"
3. "they've always been together"
4. "we can get more snakes in what room we have"
5. "etc etc..."

all IMO pretty lame reasons, and again IMO the sign of a poor shop who cares more about the £££ than the animals.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  21:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SexyBear please note - cheekygit has Kelloggs, I have Kellog!! Dont confuse them again!!

So glad KELLOGGS is doing so well, he is obviously growing and feeding well. I cant add anymore advice as everything has already been said regarding his behaviour and co-habiting.

I am looking forward to some up-to-date pics of him!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  21:56:51  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
at 8 months and 27" he's probably hungry on just a fuzzy a week............

try upping his food intake and you might see a more chilled out side to him

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  18:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

SexyBear please note - cheekygit has Kelloggs, I have Kellog!! Dont confuse them again!!

Blimey, it's not a hanging offence...

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  04:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Blimey, it's not a hanging offence...

I forgive you!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000