My amel cornsnake
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello im hayley. I have a 4 month amel cornsnake, this is my first snake. How often should i be feeding the snake, i do once a week at the moment and its on two pinkies, should i be feeding it more or going up the next size?

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:18:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Hayley. Welcome to the site.

At 4 months of age i would say every 7 days on a fuzzy would be the right amount of food for your snake. That does depend on the size and weight of the snake of course. If your snake weighs about 25 grams or more then a fuzzy would be the right amount of food, if however the snake is on the small side and less than that weight you would be best sticking to the two pinkies.

We do look forwards to seeing pictures of your snake, it is almost an unwritten forum rule that we all need pics to drool over. haha
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for that, thats very helpful, me and my dad believe the cornsnakes on the small size, so I think like you say, leave it on the two pinkies for now. I will put a picture up soon, if it will stay still!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:28:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No problem, glad i could help.

I know what you mean about snakes not staying still, it is murder getting a good picture sometimes!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, it did it three pinkies last time, should I continue to do that or is that too much in one go? and just stick to feeding it two every five days?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it took 3 last time then i would say it is perfectly capable of taking one fuzzy. I would certainly try it with one rather than feeding three pinkies every feed.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok cool, well Im going to feed my corn amelia right now, and will try the fuzzy and will update ya :)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  20:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just fed amelia a fuzzy and it went down fine!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's great news. It will also be cheaper for you than multiple pinkies. :)
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:43:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

providing the food item isn't more than 1.5 times the width of the snake at it's widest point it should be fine. although it's amazing what they can actually swallow, if the prey item is too big it's a race between digestion and decay inside the snake's digestive system...........if it's so big it starts to rot/decay first then there's problems!

(hope nobody was just eating their tea and reading this )

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  21:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum xredpanax! You have found a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus.

You have already experienced the great advice on feeding amelia, and I am so glad she ate the fuzzy. It is so lovely when they grow up and move onto that next stage! I would also suggest that you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners, although I am not too sure how long you have had amelia for.

No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

I hope you were given as much info about amelia when you got her....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!

There is an unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

I will warn you now that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have only just started down that path!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  12:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
look forwards to pics!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  13:56:57  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000