please help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, i'm hoping for some advice, my new baby amel has become very inactive. She's 3 months old and is usually very inquisitive but has litterally not left her hide in 4 days, and has not moved a single inch since i checked this morning. My 1st thought was she was about to shed but she is showing no signs, so i checked the temps and they seem fine, except that due to the weather it drops under 70 in the evening. Its a good 84 deg F in the day (warm end) so i am stuck? The viv is 3ft long so i've sectioned in half while shes small as i'm aware a big area can be intimidating for corns. i have handled her while she's been like this and she has no lumps or bumps and actually becomes active when i get her out but as soon as she goes back in the viv she's straight back in the hide. Any help or advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  17:57:10  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance of a Picture of the set up?? She may be going into shed, what morph is she as if she has red eyes its easy to miss! And if its amel or snow ect, you might not notice the dull in colour. It does sound to me like she is in shed, My amel does what you desribe when she is in shed.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjwalker1
so i checked the temps and they seem fine, except that due to the weather it drops under 70 in the evening. Its a good 84 deg F in the day (warm end)

Does the temp in the warm end drop to bellow 70 in the evening? How are you controlling the heat, please?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll put pics on asap, she's an amel.
i have a thermostat on the heat mat 24/7 and a lamp on 8-10 hrs a day, the warm end temp does slip below 70 at night but generally sits at 70.
Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:36:52  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Missy is amel and i can onlytell she is in shed as she hides away!!
If your snake is in a well lit room there is no need for the lamp, It could be giving off to much heat and causing her to stay in the cool end. So scrap the lamp, Give it 7-10 days, and she would have shed in that time and you will notice her go a bit dull in that time. If no shed then something else could be wrong, but I am sure by going on what yo have said she is in shed!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice 1, she does look very similar to missy from your picture. I'll still upload some pictures of my set up. So is it normal for yours to hide for over a week while shedding?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  18:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is normal for snakes to hide away while shedding, at this time they are virtually blind so feel very vulnerable.

As for telling when an amel is shedding... mine actually goes very milky over her entire body so it is really easy to tell.

Edited by - n/a on 04/11/2009 18:55:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do i put pictures on? or shall i just email u them?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danjwalker1

how do i put pictures on? or shall i just email u them?

Here is how to post pictures to the forum:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice 1 thanks, i'll get some on!
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:49:17  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

ok i'll be brief..........
1 section off an even smaller part for her to live in, using 'length of enclosure + depth of enclosure = length of snake' as a guide
2 ditch the lamp and get the mat set to 28-30*C and under one half to one third of the enclosure floor space
3 make sure you're setting your warm end temp by a decent thermometer placed on the substrate, not a dial one, and not set to the dial on the stat itself

IMO she's prolly stressed and cold and possibly due to shed

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  18:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She shed last night, worries over! Thanks to every1 4 there help
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly