please help my lil baby
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  00:53:48  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1 of my hatchlings (minstrel) still hasnt eatin since she hatched which is just ova 2 months now ....so of course im gettin worried ...but whilst im trying to get her 2 eat is there anything i can give her in her water or anything...its just she is tiny compared to the others...she is still active but i just wana make sure she is still gettin the nutrition if thats possiable....so any help would be appreciated because well i dont wana loose her..n i know there is always 1 but i am determined 2 stick by her as she is a real character so please anyone help...please

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  04:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you looked at this 'sticky' on the topic of non-feeders? It gives lots of ideas on what you can try to encourage feeding - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

I am sure GingerPony will confirm this, but you can also add something called Reptoboost to their water to help them while they are not feeding. I dont know anything about how to use it....but know a number of forum members have done so with good effects.

Hopefully someone with more experience will post soon to give you the information you need. I am so sorry Minstrel still hasnt eaten, you must be so worried. But please dont give up hope, it is amazing how long they can go without feeding.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  10:24:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Get this product either from the website or from your local shop:

http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2943&ProductGroupID=1422

Add to his drinking water, and you can also bath him in water that has that added.

Shen here didn't eat for 8.5 weeks. At only 8 gram of weight I didn't like it at all . GP sent some of this magic powder and I believe she saved Shen's life by doing that.

As for getting him to eat again, try first what the non-invasive parts of the non-feeders post. If that doesn't get you results, I'll try and describe what I'm doing with Shen here, a form of assisted feeding that is easy to learn if someone shows you, perhaps I can describe it well enough in writing. But I hope you won't need it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  22:17:47  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah Reptoboost gives them a pep up and some energy and can act as an appetite stimulant. if you're positive you've tried everything and their enclosure's are spot-on you could resort to either live or assist feeding?

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  23:18:42  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i used reptoboost for the first time this year and have had a 50% success rate, so its definetly worth giving it a go

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  00:43:04  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What happens if you give reptileboost to a snake that eats fine does that mean it makes it more hungry ?

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  02:12:53  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya, ok...will prob try that...spec if it will help her so thank you for that

Iv tried quite a few things 2 get her 2 eat but she just doesn seem interested at all..even when i brained the pinkie she just turned away (not that i can blame her coz it is disgustin) and we tried half a pinkie but no such luck .
I think the only things i havent tried are the force, assist n live feeding. But with the live feeding i havent a clue where to get a live pinky from and i dont have the heart to do that , when it comes to assist feedin and force feeding iv neva done them n i dont wana cause ma snakie stress ...but i really want her 2 eat even if its something tiny...i dont care.
but no i will never give up on her dont worry everyone!!!
n if she eats...nope sorry WHEN she eats i will then be-able to breath with a huge sigh of relief...n of course tell everyone here with a big happy face

but thanks for the help so far

xx

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  19:16:49  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, got the reptoboost stuff n come to think of it...i might of used this on Shikira last year...a friend gave me some but anyway...here goes...n shall try n assist feed her tonight...n hope for the best....but is there an easy way of gettin a snakes mouth open?? sorry its just iv never had 2 do this before n well im just scared of hurtin her thats all :(

xx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:23:40  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

What happens if you give reptileboost to a snake that eats fine.... ?

absolutely nothing lol

it's like saying 'what if you drink lucozade but you're not dehydrated from running a marathon'

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  21:25:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
to the OP, so you've tried braining........what else have you tried?
going to assist/force is pretty drastic........but if you're going that route it's a lot easier to assist feed a mouse tail than a squishy pinkie believe me! lol

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  22:20:53  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well assist feedin is not goin so well lol....dont like the idea of prizing her mouth open so fink i'l give up on that idea lol.

erm tried leavin her 4 the night, leavin her in th dark 4 the night, braining, cutin pinkie in half, overheatin head, hittin the pinkie against her head erm not sure if iv tried anything els but cant remember lol....erm does chicken stock work or somethin like that, im sure i read somwhere it doz lol???

but she reli is not interested in the pinkie...wont smell it...she just goes the opisite direction :(

xx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  23:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazy JJ

dont like the idea of prizing her mouth open so fink i'l give up on that idea lol.

Nooooo, you don't prize her mouth open! Frustration... wish I could show you how I do it here with Shen.. Any chance someone in a shop near you might know and be able to show you? Also, because she hasn't eaten for so long, how about starting her off with two quarter tails for each of the first few meals?

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  23:32:09  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i didnt mean lit prize her mouth open dont woz!!!...just a figur of speech lol

erm well ma nearest rep shop wouldnt ava clue coz well they just dont hava clue lol...n i dont drive n cant reli take her on the train so i duno...but yeah...cud try that next time...but i fed the pinkie 2 another pikey eater insted n he was ok wit in the end.

xx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  21:49:19  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok, leave her for at least 4 days to de-stress then try popping her in a tiny tub (about 2" square) with the pinkie UNDISTURBED for 24 hours
if she doesn't eat leave her for another 4 days then try the same again and continue until you've had at least 3 fails doing it this way.........are you POSITIVE her enclosure - size, decor, temps etc - is 100% spot-on right?
then i'd try an assist feed of a mouse's tail but whatever you do please don't tap the snake's head with the pinkie.......it was probably terrified! no wonder it doesn't want to eat!

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  06:33:44  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
crazy where are u from as maybe someone on here who mite be able to help is close to u

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  13:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i have the same problem with my hatchling diesel it hatched on 2nd september n shed a few days later but wouldnt eat for the last few weeks i have been chopping a pinkie into small pieces it has half a pinkie twice a week but it wont eat on its own i have to gently open its mouth n pop a bit of pinkie in then rub the underside of its neck to get it to swallow i would rather not have to do this but it has been the only way as all other methods failed and it is very time consuming though it is get better. good luck

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  14:59:08  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I live in lincolnshire so yea if anyone is close to me please heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllppp

well i will take the advice from gp 1st n then try that kittycat so thxs everyone 4 ya help....i will keep ya posted on how she does..but will try her tommorow..well i fink thats her 4 days anyway lol....but im determined wit her...she WILL eat lol.... :) hopefuly soon :)

but how long can they go witout eatin from hatching???

xx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My partner spoke to 888reptiles about how long they could go without eating they said about 8 wks i had also asked on the forum and there was someone whos hatcling hadnt eatin for 2mths and it was still quite active as long as it is still drinking. dont be frightened of hurting the snake by trying to open its mouth just dont squeeze its jaws at the side I just use a clean finger nail and open its mouth from the very front it is easier using this method with 2 people one opens the mouth the other holds the snake and pops the piece of pinkie in i use tweezers thet have been sterilised in boiling water. Try other methods first let me know if any of them work for you.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  15:57:17  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ok thxs but Minstrel i fink is about 10wks old (i fink without act lookin, but around that tym anyway) n hasnt eaten a thing but she is still drinkin ok...n she is still kinda active but slowin down now i fink...ish...lol

right ok..i shall try that eventualy but hopefuly she will eat before i have to try that lol but still...i gues i shall see what 2mora will bring but hopefully good news...as i cant stop worryin about her :( but thank you anyway hunny.
its just anoyin coz she isn't even interisted in her food :(

xx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  15:15:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my butter stripe has just started feeding after not feeding since august - she was tiny and reptoboost definately helped her, i ended up taking her to the rep shop near me and they eventually got her to eat a small piece of mouse tail with a bit of help and last time i checked (been holiday and not been able to see her yet) she was taking really small pieces of pinkie - am talking less that quarters because her neck was so small
tbh i dont think the train would be a problem - as long as you put her in something for her safety and it isnt hours long - i picked up my two royals from sheffield and took them back in a box on the bus..a warm water bottle underneath her would keep her warm and unless you tell people they wont know you have a snake in the box...

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000