New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  00:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I'm new on here and just come for some advice,I have an Anna corn and not to sure of her age,I got her at about 4ft 5 ish in Jan shes now about 5ft6 shes eatin well and shed alot any one know how to tell her age ????also I had to take her to the vet to have a lump removed from her tail and her scar healed well,she shed no probs ..BUT has recently shed again and has some skin stuck there is there any way I can help her remove it as i would hate for her to get infected, Also my local pet shop said "as a treat I could feed her a chick every now and again to vary her diet is this OK ???
sorry its a bit of an essay I have lots more questions but will post them later
thanks for listening hope someone can help
Ps I'm 5.5 months pregnant so any advise on this snakes/pregancy would help
xxx

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  04:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as stuck shed it should be removed because it can cause bad blood flow in the area. Others are more experienced than me but I know that bathing your snake and then letting her run through damp towels can help to peel the stuck skin off. You must be very careful about the temp of the bath...am sure someone will tell you exactly what temp bath should be.

In regards to giving the snake a treat - it doesnt need one, in the wild it wouldnt get one and it gets nothing nutritious from a chick and you risk it then refusing mice in favour of the chick. Also think a chick occasionally can cause problems because they are so bony and long legs etc.

My snake Kellog is just over 4ft and is a male. He is 4yrs and 4 months old....so your corn must be older than that, but how old I have no idea.

Best thing to do is to put up a number of pics of your snake, showing size and also close ups showing stuck skin - then 'Those Who know' can give you a more experienced answer. How much does she weigh? What and how often is she eating?

Again not sure about the pregnancy/snake thing, but would have thought that as long as you follow a strict hygene regime, washing your hands in anti-bacterial before and after handling, gloving up when cleaning viv etc, I dont think there is a problem.....but again you need someone more experienced to answer.

Sorry I havent been much help!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  22:14:36  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
snakes and pregnancy are fine just take your usual hygeine precautions - washing hands after handling/feeding/cleaning and you and bump should be fine. pregnant or not there IS a SMALL risk of salmonella, though that tends to be species kept in more humid environments such as BRBs. i've had snakes for 2 previous pregnancies without any problems to do with my reps, not that the midwife was any use when i asked her about it first time lol......... oh and congrats

any stuck shed is best removed asap, if it's just a small piece and its a regular problem when she sheds it might be worth investing in some Shed-Aid, alternatively giving her a damp hide or a bath should do the trick. my OAP corn is physically unable to shed by himself, when he goes blue i replace his usual hide with a damp one, then when he's made a patchy start i'll give him a bath. i probably have to help him with about 95% of his shed

regarding chicks, TBH i'd avoid them, they make their poo disgusting! and quite often corns will just turn their noses up at them, for a treat (which isn't really necessary btw) i occasionally give mine a rat pup of a similar size to their normal mice

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2009 :  14:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my male snake had about an inch of shed stuck to his tail it was still there after his next shed so i put him in tepid water for a minute as he really didnt like it then i got some wet cotton wool and gently and very lightly ran the cotton wool over it , the shed came of after a couple of minutes but letting the snake run through a towel sounds a good idea i hadnt thought of that at the time.

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page