just saying hi im a complete snake novice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  21:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im looking after a corn for my mate who is working abroad for a couple of years.have absolutely no experience in looking after snakes but im really keen to learn.

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:18:51  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya, and welcome to the forum
You've come to what is the best Cornsnake forum on the interwebs.

Any questions, just ask.

Although, can i ask;

Did you get the full equipment with the snake?
Do you have pics yet?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:28:38  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome to the forum..

if you have any questions feel free to ask...as we r always here 2 help you and the snakie

but because im a nosey person lol whats the snake called and got any piccies

xx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx for the welcome,
its got a really nice viv about 2.5x2.5 foot sq its all fitted out with hide, branches bark an stuff. the only thing im not sure about is the heat pad. iv got 1 but dont know how to use it. does it go in the viv,under it or what.my house is like a sauna trying to keep the temperature right,its sitting at 72 just now is that ok?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  22:53:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by crazy JJ

hello and welcome to the forum..

if you have any questions feel free to ask...as we r always here 2 help you and the snakie

but because im a nosey person lol whats the snake called and got any piccies

xx

Not got any pics yet but I'll try to get some up soon.

My mate called the snake Gabby, but I call her Pokey,
coz her head is often poking out of the hide
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  01:17:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Tenpeg! You will find that this is a great place with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also gets lots of fun and friendship as a bonus. Not sure how much snake care and advice you have been given by your friend but I would advise the following:

1. Leave Pokey for a week to get over the stress of moving to your house and let her settle into her new surroundings by leaving her without handling or feeding for a week. Only put your hand in daily to change water and straighten substrate, that way she gets used to your smell.

2. Make sure you read the care sheet on here, lots of information for new snake owners (I know you are not the true owner but for now you are the foster owner!).

3. No question is regarded as a silly question on here.....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too!

4. I hope you got as much info from your friend on his snake when you took over it....shedding history, feeding history etc. Start your own 'Snake Diary', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even not when Kellog poos!!

5. Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible!

Am so glad your friend has found a good home for Pokey while he is away, but I will warn you that you will not be able to give her up when he comes home! Corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is **** and I am addicted to corns/kings/lizards........! And I am proud of it!" You have only just started down that path!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  13:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome! As Kellog has said, there's a really good caresheet on this site, which should answer most of the questions you have but feel free to ask if you're unsure of anything!

What type of viv/faun do you have? If you have the wooden style viv, the heatmat will usually go inside. However, if you have a plastic faun style, the heatmat will go underneath. You'll need a thermostat to regulate the temperature if you don't have one already.

All the best and can't wait to see some piccies!

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  22:30:12  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  13:53:45  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi tenpeg, welcome to the forum.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  13:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome,
any q's feel free to ask,the heatmat will work best inside the viv as it is wooden - did it come with a stat?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  13:44:52  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000