Portfolio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  23:05:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so im building my protfolio to hopefully get into HNC photography then HND next year and ive got it down from bout 400 odd pics to 3-5 in 4 categories;
Reps, Caves, Motorsport and scenery theyve all been taken on my rubbish point and click cam so the quality aint great but am looking for some feedback so have a look and let me know if u think any pics arent good enough quality or have any suggestions

ill be having another go at the reps in a day or 2 and have to get a couple more scenery pics

Here goes,

Reps,

Caves

Scenery;

MotorSport

0.0.1 Striped Cali King "Hunter"
0.0.1 Snow corn "Stockton"
0.0.1 Blue tongue "Thompson"
1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

BlueTongueDan
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1462 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  23:10:59  Show Profile  Visit BlueTongueDan's Homepage  Click to see BlueTongueDan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I really like the 1st scenery shot!
I think if you got yourself a nice SLR, you'll be getting some amazing photos!

www.youtube.com/BlueTongueDan
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  23:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the second cave, and the first skink shots :) I'm taking photography at college, so I maybe doing the same thing soon. ;)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  01:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when(if) i get into the classes ima save up for a canon eos 50d
get alot better shots than the wee point n click cam lol

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

My photobucket, http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/ Some randoms in there but mostly reps

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  05:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got some good set ups there which would make great shots with the right camera. 1st scenery is great, love the cave ones and the skink ones. xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  13:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like them!

I would use some of those for the site if you would give me permission to.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  14:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol kaz that would be awesome

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e323/kevindollar/College%20Reps/?start=0

shame there all bit fuzzy

If you do use any u might want to do bit of photoshop cleanup :)

Shame i dont have photoshop anymore tho lol

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Edited by - n/a on 30/10/2009 14:34:24
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

608 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  15:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
love them all
especially the Nissan GTR and the Tarantula

1.1.0 Dog
2.1.0 Cat
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
R.I.P WINNIE 7.7.08 - 29.8.09
0.1.0 Bearded Dragon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

213 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  16:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought all of them were good (but if I'm honest I'm the worlds worst both infront of and behind the camera!). I agree with Techno though, the Tarantula pic was lovely .

0.0.1 Normal Corn (Cinco), 0.1.0 Ghost Motley (Sadie), 1.0.0 Amel Corn (Snuggles), 0.0.1 Classic Corn (The Stig), 1.0.0 Pastel Royal Python (Ba'al), 1.0.0 Pinstripe Royal Python (Paladin), 4.0.0 Cats, 1.0.0 Other Half, 0.3.0 Drains on My Resources (or Daughters)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  18:29:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may be being overly honest here, or just a tad pedantic... but i used to sell some of my photography a few years ago and to be honest i would never of included any of these shots in my portfolio.

I am saying this as you are obviously looking to show these photos in order to get into a photography course and sugar coating things and saying they are great will not help you in any way!

I know you are looking to learn about photography in the future, but at the very least i would suggest that you include shots in your portfolio that are in focus. If you can teach yourself a little about composition before the portfolio is submitted it would really help you to stand apart as well.

The rule of threes is probably the simplest composition trick to learn.

I am sorry if this in any way offends, it is honestly meant as a constructive post.

Edited by - n/a on 30/10/2009 18:29:59
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

369 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  21:32:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bio i was wanting some negative comments aswell lol i know the focus on most is poor but am having a very hard time trying to get my wee digi cam to take half decent shots and as u said i am going to college to learn so the quality will get better the more i learn but ima try get some better shots in before my interview and if i get in ill be upgrading my camera kit to something of a more professional quality
am also thinking of removing the caves as its difficult to get pictures in pitch black when evrything is wet and reflecting light back

but ill have a look at the rule of thirds and attempt to get some more focused pics but tbh dont know how much better ill get with my cam

1.0.0 Cat "Jaws"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

445 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  01:24:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really hoping it would come across as constructive rather than negative, i would never want to discourage you.

I do agree with the quality side of things with small digi cams, the shutter speed is just never fast enough! And the camera always thinks it knows best when really it knows NOTHING!

I bet you can't wait to get a good DSLR on full manual. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  03:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest I know nothing about photography and composition etc, and I am really glad that someone with experience has been able to give you something constructive to work with to improve your work. Dont take it as negative, take it as part of the learning process. Cant wait to see more shots as you learn more about your art....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2009 :  04:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I like them!

Hold on, are you the real Kaz???

Normally all we hear is 'right click, save' then a week or so later we *might* get a thanks if we're lucky.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

75 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  18:30:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually cut heads off, so I cant talk, I love the tarantula one :) the more you do the better you'll be, and I have had some photoshoots myself and out of 200 pics I may only like 8-10, so take many and often and choose the best ones :)
xxx
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  19:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you definately have potential - just need to work on the focusing..Iv got a fuji digital camera and have found that for my snakes the best setting is 'text' which really gets the detail in (well most of the time), maybe fiddle about with the different settings and see what you can get

I need to get back into the swing of things with my photography - need to get a macro lens that will fit my 10D and then im away lol

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  09:59:29  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I like them!

Hold on, are you the real Kaz???

Normally all we hear is 'right click, save' then a week or so later we *might* get a thanks if we're lucky.

I only do that with people I know won't mind too much because they've allowed me to use photos before..... or soft people like you.

Plus you always get a thank you! The site would be boring without pics so I appreciate it whenever I get some good images to brighten up the text.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000