HEATING AND LIGHTING PLEASE HELP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  17:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, at the moment i have my corn snake Rox in a reli good setup and it also looks good , it has a heatmat and a uvb strip light and is a wooden viv btu i would ideally have an exo terra glass viv the PT2613 version but im not sure on how to heat it. I want to put a basking lamp in and the heatmat (i will get a heat and uvb combined bulb for the basking spot and my heat mat will be on a mat stat so i shouldnt over heat) , my problem is when and where do i put the basking lamp and the heat mat, do i : have them both on all day in the sam end (i guess so aslong as my matt stat is on the right setting) or do i only have the lamp on in the day , i just need some help because im only 14 and dont want to make my snake stressed out , thanks Josh

Joshua.E.S

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  17:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Josh,

Welcome to snakehood!

No need for any lamps, all you need as the heat mat+stat, and thermometers at both end to monitor.

Read the care sheet here:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

And the post here:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Also, you're welcome to come to the intro section and say hello

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  22:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corn snakes do not need UVB lamps, I only use Red reflector lamps for heating in two vivs the third faces the two dragon vivs and gets light from them during the day.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  11:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will a lamp hurt because i am quite an arty sort of person / perfectionist and like it to be aestheticaly pleasing . haha. aslong as it is on a dimmer? and if so do i put the mat at the same end as the lamp? thanks agen Josh. Thanks for the replies they are much aprreciated. I do trust your replies i just want to be sure because i was buyign a new beardy from someone and he had the opposite setup to this and i would rather my snake be happy :):D

Joshua.E.S
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  15:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHNROX

will a lamp hurt because i am quite an arty sort of person / perfectionist and like it to be aestheticaly pleasing . haha. aslong as it is on a dimmer? and if so do i put the mat at the same end as the lamp? thanks agen Josh. Thanks for the replies they are much aprreciated. I do trust your replies i just want to be sure because i was buyign a new beardy from someone and he had the opposite setup to this and i would rather my snake be happy :):D

Lamps create heat, so your snake may get too hot if there is a heat mat and a lamp. As far as I know he would much prefer the haetmat to the lamp. One way to bypass that and still satisfy the artistic side is to use LED. As long as you operate it correctly it would give off no heat.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

69 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  18:43:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone i think i know what i will do:
Have a basking lamp on in the day to make it look nice etcetc and to give my snake daytime heat and overnigth just have my heatmat on.
If this is strictly wrong please tell me!!!
Thanks Hawkeye you concluded it pretty well

Joshua.E.S
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  19:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have lamps in two of my vivs, they are both on thermostats.
I have never had a problem, My small viv only has a heat mat.

Edited by - Stumpy on 24/10/2009 19:42:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000