Viv size
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  18:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey! I'm building a viv for a 5 foot corn, how large should I go and will it be OK with just a heat mat? At mo he's in a RUB with heat mat and not much else as he is a rescue riddled with mites.

n/a
deleted

893 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  19:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi and welcome to the forum

Take a look at the care sheet here:

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

It explains about size of viv and also about heating.

Good luck with making him better fast, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery for your new snakey.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  20:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome to the forum.

Also, you may be better doing the full treatment for mites and getting rid of them before you transfer into the built viv.

You can pick up large rubs (about 24inchx18x8) in somewhere like wilkos that would do you until you have got rid of all the mites.
It's easier to clear it when they have the basics, instead of having to do an entire viv and decor etc.

Have a look at this sticky as well: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3651 lots of useful info on there for getting rid of mites.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  20:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Basically got him in a large RUB in isolation at the moment (as far away from my other snakes and reps as poss i.e. another building) treatment from a good vet, seems to be working but will leave him in basics till he is completely clear. RSPCA suggested 5x3x3 viv when they dropped him off. Thought this sounded a little large?
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  20:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my five and a half foot boy in a four foot viv, though 3 is generally accepted. well done for rescuing your snakey, sounds like he needed it.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  20:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently found hiding behind a bin. In this weather!
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  21:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw poor thing! are you going to put up posters incase someone is missing him?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2009 :  22:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Hizz, so glad you rescued him. Hope it doesnt take too long getting rid of the mites. Kellog is just smaller than him (name?) and got mites. Luckily is was just before a shed and was first noticed when he went into an absolutely manic shed, tearing the skin off himself. He had been 'kenneled' the week before and caught them there, although they didnt seem to get any other cases - or so they claim. He wont be going back of course. Soon as we saw we grabbed him and got him in water to help finish shed cleanly without damaging himself. Totally cleaned everything in viv and viv, put down kitchen roll instead of substrate and only returned hide and water bowl. He hid in the hide for weeks. We bathed him regularly, running him through damp, then dry, kitchen roll afterwards. Finally returned viv to normal after 4 weeks, but he continued to hide. He kept eating and pooing so he was fine, just wasnt coming out. Finally returned to normal when he shed 2 weeks later - it was almost as though he needed a totally new skin untaintedby mites, which I know sounds crazy. Just takes time and patience.
Look forward to hearing more from you. xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2009 :  06:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
well done for rescuing him - sounds like hes a tough little guy though
kellog is the one with the best info on mites having just had to deal with them

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  18:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not named him yet as at the mo he's only boarding with me until they have made sure no one claims him. I don't live in the area he was found, so I haven't put posters up. The RSPCA have all his details on record. The mites are already subsiding and he ate a gerbil!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2009 :  21:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you from Hizz? Have you had snakes before? If he isnt claimed are you planning on keeping him? So glad the mites are subsiding, I know it can be a long drawn out business and stressful on the snake. It is good news that he has eaten, although I am not sure whether a gerbil is something that is usually fed to a corn. Kellog is just a bit shorter than your snake and is eating an extra large mouse every 10 days.
I am so glad he is being well cared for.
xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000