Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  13:33:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a ball python is a USA term for what we call a Royal python. I have both a corn and a royal. I would say that for a first time owner a corn snake is very slightly easier to look after. This is simply due to corns being easier to feed- royals can sometimes be tempremental so if they aren't happy with their environment they won't feed.

Im not saying a royal is harder, they are both very easy to keep. If you look at a rainbow boa for example, they need constant humidity checks as they're from more humid environments in nature. Whereas only occasionally would you need to mist a corn/royal's enclosure to aid with shedding or provide a moist hide to help raise humidity when shedding. I've never needed either though (its usually if they can't shed in one piece) as both species prefered humidity is around 50% (average british room humidity).

Corn snakes are widely known to be one of the easiest to look after. Royals are given nickname ball pythons for their habbit of curling into a ball in defense rather than striking a potential threat.

Its entirely your/ your son's choice. You can't really go wrong with either but I probably would say for a first time owner too go for a corn.

Hope this helps!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned

Edited by - n/a on 01/11/2009 13:35:55
Go to Top of Page

alex09
Egg

United Kingdom
82 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  13:36:02  Show Profile  Click to see alex09's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi,welocme to the site,if you wont a full setup ready to go you could try www.preloved.co.uk this is where i got my corn from and i got the full setup and snake for £50
hope this helps.

1.2.0 corn snake hannah
0.1.0 labrador peggy
0.1.0 border terrier
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  15:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. Don't rule out handling your new snake.
2 years ago I was that parent, my son was desperate for a snake, bugged the life out of me and his dad for one. We said no but eventually gave in.
After a while the novelty wore off but it left me hooked. To the point where I''ve just bought my fourth snake and I'd have more if I had the room, they're definately addictive !
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  16:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE: Thanks for all the recent replies, I have now ordered my sons corn snake (Carolina). I've also bought his tank which they're putting the snake in until i collect it in December, So the snake can get used to it's new habitat until i bring it home.t
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

378 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2009 :  18:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds good. Just make sure when your son gets it even though the snake has been living in the viv for a while by then, snakes don't take to travelling well so when you get it home leave him/her a week to settle before handling and feeding it. Just carry out spot cleaning and water changes daily for that week, then when he/she is settled, go in for a hold.

I won't load you up with any more info at the mo. When you collect the snake and have any questions, let us know and we'll help you. The only silly question is the one you don't ask!

Enjoy & when you get him back home for your son snake piccys please!

0.1.0 Anery corn- LegLess
1.0.0 Carolina corn- NoFeet
1.0.0 Syrian hamster- Jabba
0.2.0 Albino ferrets- Mable & Sue
1.0.0 Cat- Ned
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  03:27:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great news Lin. I am sure your son is really pleased and carolinas are beautiful colours. How old will it be?

I will just echo benjy's advice about not handling or feeding for the first week you get it home. Although it may be used to its tank it will be stressed by the move and the new surroundings. It will also need to get used to your son's smell, which is done by him daily changing the water and moving the substrate around, but avoiding going anywhere near the snake. That way it doesnt feel threatened but has the chance to get used to tne new smells and set up.

Remember, ask anything here...no matter how small....it is what the forum is for!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2009 :  06:38:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I will take the advice he has dragged me to see it 3 times already and he has held it, its not very old still a baby a few months he has been thinking of names for it i suggested Rumple snakeskin or william snakespear, but he wont have it so any one with any great suggestions all welcome....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000